David G 69 Gulf SPF build begins.

Was your engine builder Micheal’s in Macedonia, Ohio? I have a build slot with Superformance in December for. Wide body Heritage Mark I, and will end up with a twin to your car. It is my second GT40. I own GT40/P 2047, that Shelby built as a commemorative Mk II that matches Gurney/Grant 1047 that set pole at LeMans. If your builder is Michael’s, they are located just a couple miles from my summer home in Ohio.

David Garton

Supporter
Was your engine builder Micheal’s in Macedonia, Ohio? I have a build slot with Superformance in December for. Wide body Heritage Mark I, and will end up with a twin to your car. It is my second GT40. I own GT40/P 2047, that Shelby built as a commemorative Mk II that matches Gurney/Grant 1047 that set pole at LeMans. If your builder is Michael’s, they are located just a couple miles from my summer home in Ohio.
Tim, yes sir. They built it for Paul K. Rousch ported the heads. There are a lot of big names that race out of that machine shop. It's at my home now. Your welcome to come see it any time. I'm trying to locate a shop that can build the bundle of snakes for the Gurney style heads. Thanks, David

David, thanks. We may have met In the past. I’ve been a moderator for the Ford GT Forum for many years, and own several FGT’s including a 2018 “67 Heritage”. I’ll be in touch, would love to see your car. You may want to give Don Hoevel at Don Hoevel Racing in Fox Lake, IL a call. he’s building my business partner’s Mark II. I was just at his shop last week and he showed me the tool room car he is building for Bobby Rahal, he had custom headers fabricated for that build.

David Garton

Supporter
David, thanks. We may have met In the past. I’ve been a moderator for the Ford GT Forum for many years, and own several FGT’s including a 2018 “67 Heritage”. I’ll be in touch, would love to see your car. You may want to give Don Hoevel at Don Hoevel Racing in Fox Lake, IL a call. he’s building my business partner’s Mark II. I was just at his shop last week and he showed me the tool room car he is building for Bobby Rahal, he had custom headers fabricated for that build.
Yes sir, I have met you and you wife as well as your son I believe? I'm the senior master Ford Technician and have helped many on that forum. You was doing the Red MkII with 427 FE. Glad to have you over and would love any contact info for Gurney style headers.

It’s great to reconnect. I look forward to seeing your call. My partner is picking up his Mk II today from Don. Don Howell’s phone is (815) 759-1208.

Here a photo of the tool room headers that Don made.

Attachments

• IMG_3371.jpeg
    IMG_3371.jpeg
    482 KB · Views: 195
Tim,

Those headers are from Gelscoe. My 40 is currently in Don's shop and I have a set of GW headers from Gelscoe there as well. Those pictured are Windsor headers on Bobby Rahal's Tool Room car, P1199. I was there last Thursday.

Just a point of clarity so Don doesn't pinged for header fabrication inquiries...Gelscoe has them....

JM

Tim,

Those headers are from Gelscoe. My 40 is currently in Don's shop and I have a set of GW headers from Gelscoe there as well. Those pictured are Windsor headers on Bobby Rahal's Tool Room car, P1199. I was there last Thursday.

Just a point of clarity so Don doesn't pinged for header fabrication inquiries...Gelscoe has them....

JM
I was there two weeks ago, to look over my business partner’s Mark II. I didn’t want to mention “who’s” car I photographed for the headers. Don will be working on my engine and when my chassis is here, I plan to have him finish the install. By the way, Ron McCall called me today, are you Don’s customer building he toolroom who had Ron work on two ZF’s that were sent to Don? Also, by the way, David did call Don to get advise on getting headers for his Gurney-Weslake heads.

Understand. My car is P/1170.

Yes, those ZF's are mine. Ron did a complete overhaul/restoration on those boxes. Unbelievable workmanship and super guy..... Gelscoe has those headers in stock, I received them in a couple of days after wiring them the $$. Highly recommend them. By the way, I'm 2 years down range on this MK 1 project-I would be glad to share notes fell free to reach out.

Your partner's car is beautiful but it cost me....

Shocker.....my wife fell in love with your partners car.......On the flight home she announced that I need to build one ........by the way, my wife is a seriously gifted race car driver that drives a 900 hp race car on the track...

I called Don back and told him " Thanks Don....the 2 hour visit to your shop just cost me 325K....appreciate that...Now I need to find a T-44...."

Car ordered.

JM

It’s a small world. I have a ZF going to Ron McCall soon, it’s at Dennis Olthoff’s shop now. My partner (Peter) picked up his MkII last week and loves it. Like you, I’ll have two Superformance GT40’s in the stable by next year.

David Garton

Supporter
Gentlemen I spoke with Don and he very quickly pointed me to Glescoe. I have spoke with them and have a set of headers being built by them now. Also found they have the turkey tray or Throttle plate with shields and linkages for the Gurney Westlake headed engine. Thanks for the help. Still waiting for my clutch and bellhousing set up. Small world that Ron McCall also rebuilt my ZF-2 and set up with special gear ratio.

David Garton

Supporter
Christmas came early from Gelscoe in England. I needed a Bundle of snakes that match the Gurney cylinder head engine I am installing. I secured a set of sand bent tube headers for them. While on there sight I seen they offered a nice Webber base plate with linkages and wrap around heat shield. I also found they had a Magnesium set of covers so off with the aluminum covers and on with the magnesium set after I do some research on cleaning and possibly sealing them in their natural state?? Still waiting on the 141 tooth flywheel, bell housing and clutch kit which is in route for delivery this week. With the gurney heads I will have to figure the alternator mounting, AC compressor mounting as the brackets are different too. Not a race for sure so I am planning to assemble all together including pulleys and belts that way no surprises after the engine and trans are in place.
217.jpg
20231022_211601.jpg
20231022_211640.jpg
20231022_214937.jpg
20231022_214640.jpg
20231022_214514.jpg

You’re making great progress. I’m currently having Ron McCall rebuild my ZF while Don Hoevel is building my motor based on a 1969 date coded Ford racing 302 block. The chassis is supposed to go into production in the next 60 to 90 days. I still plan on coming up this winter to visit and see your progress.

Back