Del orto crbs

In case you didn't know Del'Orto carbs used to be very common on Italian motorcycles.
40mm Pumpers were found on a lot of Ducati's.
Assuming the jets are the same type in the car-type units, your local Ducati - Motto Guzzi deal might also be a place to go look.

Russel, any place that services/restores old Italian cars, particularly Alfa, Fiat or Lancia will have some dellorto stuff lying around - these were common carbs on these cars, although, typically of the side draft version rather than downdraft. A vintage VW shop might have some dellorto downdraft stuff as the DRLA 40s were used as well as the weber IDFs on many tricked out bug engines.

I wonder if any of our English mates are running Rover v8s with 4 x twin choke 40mm downdrafts and could tell me what jet sizes they are running as they are not cheap at $12.00 each x 8 carbs to get wrong.
My carbs came straight off an Alfa 1700cc ( 2 per car ) and are jetted just about right but do appear rich low down and cackle nicley on over run. The pipe looks the right color and the sound is just spot on.
Cheers

Attachments

• play me a tune 002.jpg
    play me a tune 002.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 197
HI Russ

I can't offer any specific advice (yet) as I am nowhere near running the engine, but will follow your progress with interest as I also have a set of those carbs I want to use on my RV8.

In my two stroke racing days we used a set of "jet drills" to experiment. This was a range of fine drills in suitable sizes. Find any random jets, close up the holes with solder and drill them out as you require. With the drill in a loose chuck (not in a drill machine) you could just turn them through the solder by hand.

Cheers

Fred W B

Back