DESIGN of a New GT40 successor

When I initially read the thread I thought you meant a new Ford Le Mans entry!!! In may opinion a revamped forty already exists in the form of the Ford GT. Which will in 40 years probably being brought out in the form of a Replica!
I love my concept drawings but the car has to be as different as an original Forty was to a normal car of the day a Hillman Minx. In my opinion and I do not think it will fit the same chassis. A four seater GT40 is the option I would take. For the following reasons:-
1) It would take great imagination to make a body up with the GT40 ID but incorporating four seats.
2) It would make the car more practical! Not sure thats a good thing?
3) In 1967 Holman and Moody were tasked with making an enclosed Indy car and a four seater Forty but the money never come to fund these projects from Ford.
Regards Allan

When I initially read the thread I thought you meant a new Ford Le Mans entry!!! In may opinion a revamped forty already exists in the form of the Ford GT. Which will in 40 years probably being brought out in the form of a Replica!
I love my concept drawings but the car has to be as different as an original Forty was to a normal car of the day a Hillman Minx. In my opinion and I do not think it will fit the same chassis. A four seater GT40 is the option I would take. For the following reasons:-
1) It would take great imagination to make a body up with the GT40 ID but incorporating four seats.
2) It would make the car more practical! Not sure thats a good thing?
3) In 1967 Holman and Moody were tasked with making an enclosed Indy car and a four seater Forty but the money never come to fund these projects from Ford.
Regards Allan

I think I worded this thread wrongly, it should have been a new Gt40 inspired design, on a GT40 replica chassis.......will be careful next time..:)

My idea was to use an exhistig replica chassis, and rebody it with different shapes, but without doing changes to the chassis.

I like your idea of a 4dr. mid-engine GT40 inspired sportscar, being a new niche filled by the big car manufacturers.

Ferrari came close with this layout, the 80's Mondial 8, a 2+2 with a V8 mid-engine.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
How about a three seater ?
A La McLaren F1 GTR penned by Gordon Murray...
I think France did a three seater as well - was it a Matra?
And the third seat could always a great luggage stowage as well...
The lines would generally then stay in sympathy with the -40.

How about a three seater ?
A La McLaren F1 GTR penned by Gordon Murray...
I think France did a three seater as well - was it a Matra?
And the third seat could always a great luggage stowage as well...
The lines would generally then stay in sympathy with the -40.

David,

Not a bad idea, but would the third seat be a single seat in front of the other two just like the Mclaren, or behind the two front seats?

Sorry I called your concept drawings my by mistake fuoriserie.
There was two other three seater cars before the Mclaren F1. This was the one off Pininfarina 365P Berlinetta Speciale Ferrari of 1967. And as David mentioned a french car the Matra Bagheera. http://www.rootes-chrysler.co.uk/car-development/dev-bagheera.html
Regards Allan

No problem Allan.....:)

I always liked the Bagheera and the later Murena, both very good looking sportscars.

The seating position would be interesting, but you would have to redesign the inner chassis......

Good feedback and ideas.

My problem with a three seater especially abreast would be its practicality especially if you incorporate any form of GT40 design. The cut in doors would leave you not being able to park anywhere as the car would be too wide!!
Regards Allan

My problem with a three seater especially abreast would be its practicality especially if you incorporate any form of GT40 design. The cut in doors would leave you not being able to park anywhere as the car would be too wide!!
Regards Allan

I agree with you on the three seats abreast solution, but maybe two up front and one at the rear....but then a 2+2 solution could make more sens in this case.....

Last edited:
hijack the thread a little......:) barchetta 595 by Peter Stevens the designer of the McLaren F1 GTR

foto008.jpg

foto007.jpg

foto006-1.jpg

foto005.jpg

b_595.jpg

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Fuoriserie,
I was a passenger in the Matra and found it tres uncomfortable so I would favour the F1 GTR arrangement. Having sat in the Schnitzer car in 97 (it didn't have anything but the drivers seat) the position in the centre is just superb. A four seater ? - forget it as I really don't think there is room without spoiling the demeanour and sheer 'hard man' look of the gt40.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Peter Stevens could clearly think 'outside the box' and a three seater car
in the F1 GTR configuration amply demonstrates that. That really marks peole like that as 'extreme' in the design world. There are all sorts of wonderful ideas that havent been thought of yet. It just takes a radical designer to unravel it in his mind and then comitt it to paper.
rockonsmile Any way, you need two passenger seats - one for 'her indoors' and the other for the other 'her outdoors':D .

Last edited:
There was a Lambo prototype that had the 3 abreast seating layout with the center (driver's) seat jutting out in front a little bit, but I can't remember what model. It was from the late 60's or 70's. Anyone else remember?

The TOYOTA VOLTA concept by Italdesign Giugiaro, with a three seater abreast layout, sliding steering wheel..!!! and hybrid Lexus v6 engine power.

It does look forward to the future of modern sportscars for the year 2010-2015, maybe..:D

1958-10.jpg

1958-9.jpg

1958-4.jpg

I know this is blasphemy, but I was thinking of building the Cadillac Cien on an adjusted GT40 chassis. I mean a tube frame, not a replica. I know the magnitude of this project and I'm already hearing the skepticism about the concept, but I hope there is a sympathetic ear out there somewhere. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Cadillac_Cien.jpg
    Cadillac_Cien.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 364
I know this is blasphemy, but I was thinking of building the Cadillac Cien on an adjusted GT40 chassis. I mean a tube frame, not a replica. I know the magnitude of this project and I'm already hearing the skepticism about the concept, but I hope there is a sympathetic ear out there somewhere. What do you guys think?

The Cien is a very nice design, but the proportions will be totally different, because the GT40 has a shorter wheelbase.

You would have to redesign it over the GT40 chassis, and see how it looks, reworking most of the design.

It can be done, so why not!

Do it ....:)

Ciao
Italo

Thanks for your input, floriserie. I know the wheelbase, etc. are diferent. That's why I said an adjusted chassis. The Cien has the radiator in the front, is mid-engine, etc. The wheels are 19"F and 21" rear and that eats up a lot of the 13" diference in the wheelbase. A longer wheelbase makes it a lot easier to accomodate engine and running gear. By the way, what is the Italian word for "hundred"? Regards, Otey

Back