DESIGN of a New GT40 successor

A 5 min. very rough pen sketch....

img844.jpg

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
There is an incredible wealth of talent just here on this website. Designers, manufacturers, transmissions, engine builders, computing/C.A.D., uprights, wheels, suspension, electrics, and not least the superb advice of those more knowledgeable.
I don't think Gordon Murray had anywhere near such a bunch of guys.
Imagine what could be achieved with such a 'team'.

I love it Italo. You really do have some great ideas there. I especially like the "organic" indent lines on the doors and the way the wheel arches continue into the body. I'd love to see a detailed drawing of your 5min sketch.

From memory (and these are 15 yo memories) the main purpose of the GT90 concept was for Ford to show that they could if they chose, build a car that was quicker than the McLarren F1 . But it was the wrong car at the wrong time since supercars had temporarily become unfashionable and few established supercar manufacturers were making any reasonable profits. Thankfully that fashion trend was very temporary, but it did kill off any chance of the GT90 going into production.

PS. I'm volunteering to be the test pilot for any car that this forum team designs ;)

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
I too like the styling of the GT90 and I realise it was only a prototype but looking at the Top Gear clip they didn't think much of it at all...doesn't look like it performed anything like an McLaren F1..!!

YouTube - Ford GT90

The sketches look great Italo, I'd love to see someone do some more original concept bodies built around the GT40 platform. I'd love to do some myself but I have trouble drawing a stick figure...!!

Cheers,

Tony M.

I don't think Mr. Murray NEEDS many more people. No, I haven't met him, but I would like to. He is a brilliant car designer.

Thanks for the comments guys....:)

I will try to develop the design further, and see how feasible it can become on a real chassis.....

I'll do a 4 view sketch, just to get a feel to the design, and then wait for your feedback .

We could create this design together, taking into consideration your imput and knowledge of GT40's, and then who knows, maybe a replica manufacture could build it for us...:)

There is an incredible wealth of talent just here on this website. Designers, manufacturers, transmissions, engine builders, computing/C.A.D., uprights, wheels, suspension, electrics, and not least the superb advice of those more knowledgeable.
Imagine what could be achieved with such a 'team'.

Let's assemble the team then, if someone can translate my sketches or renderings in CAD, we can get somewhere fast....:)

The sketches look great Italo, I'd love to see someone do some more original concept bodies built around the GT40 platform. I'd love to do some myself but I have trouble drawing a stick figure...!!

Cheers,

Tony M.

Tony,

Any idea would be fine, I've been thinking of a speedster/barchetta gt40....what do you all think?

Dear Fuoriserie,

I like your drawings very very much. Yes retro style elements are nice and i dont feel these are to strong. The reference to GT/GT40 is still visable.

If there are no car brands intrested in your talent maybe you can sell your drawings ... even the 'draft 5 min. images'...

I feel the GT90 is to modern. I'm more into the rounded shapes of the GT40 but i'm not saying the GT90 does not look nice but it's to sharp !

Grz from Holland !

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Pap - Welcome to GT40s!

What's that car look like when it's all closed up?

Dear Fuoriserie,

I like your drawings very very much. Yes retro style elements are nice and i dont feel these are to strong. The reference to GT/GT40 is still visable.

If there are no car brands intrested in your talent maybe you can sell your drawings ... even the 'draft 5 min. images'...

I feel the GT90 is to modern. I'm more into the rounded shapes of the GT40 but i'm not saying the GT90 does not look nice but it's to sharp !

Grz from Holland !

Thanks Jos,
I will show a few more rough sketches in different views, with a modern retro influences, maybe more in keeping with the Gt40 replica industry.

In reference to the design, maybe when it's more defined and a realistic proposal, with finished renderings, who know what is going to happen......:)

I could consider various proposals, I hope we can spark some interest, on the potential of the platform chassis concept, and having different design shapes, on the same replica chassis.

Back