DESIGN of a New GT40 successor

A very rough sketch, with cab-forward stance, and a different front radiator air intake design.

img845.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very nice pictures!!!

I think I would try raising the side scoops from the center of the side panel to the upper third. The recess in the doors from the front wheel rearward would then be angled up slightly giving the car more of a raked "At speed" look..

Still very nice and has cues to the original..

Italo,
Your sketching is great, and out of "doodling", if I can call it that, comes great and timeless shapes.
My initial impression of the original Gt40, when I first saw a real one long ago (not many in Oz), was of a very low, wide, sleek sort of shape. It has an elemental look with the skin (body) just managing to stretch over the wheels, engine, and cockpit. Sort of minimalist and basic, very functional. This is the look that needs to be retained. Sketching it, however, I leave to talented people such as yourself. Keep up the good work,
Dalton

Italo,
Your sketching is great, and out of "doodling", if I can call it that, comes great and timeless shapes.
My initial impression of the original Gt40, when I first saw a real one long ago (not many in Oz), was of a very low, wide, sleek sort of shape. It has an elemental look with the skin (body) just managing to stretch over the wheels, engine, and cockpit. Sort of minimalist and basic, very functional. This is the look that needs to be retained. Sketching it, however, I leave to talented people such as yourself. Keep up the good work,
Dalton

Thanks for the comments, and agree with your design analysis, the problem is though, that it's hard to re-design an Icon like the GT40.

Maybe that is why Ford designed first the GT90, and after public reaction, decided that it was too radica, and went for a modern retro design with the new GT.

I believe they were afraid to dissapoint the potential customer, and went for a safer route with the GT.

I like the new GT very much, but not it's not as ground braking with its design, as was the original GT40 .

I should have worded better the tiltle of my post, and said:
"Redesign a new sportscar inspired by the GT40.....:)"

That is, what I will try to do for fun here....

Kip Ewing , designer of the GTX-1 has asked if we would be interested in doing a Retro GT40 roadster....I have seen one that was done in NZ ..and I have to say it did not look all that tempting.
Kip has some cool ideas......would it be worth the time and trouble.....???Would you guys buy one?????If we built it....!!!!
....not an original Mk2 style roadster but more retro?????

Kip Ewing , designer of the GTX-1 has asked if we would be interested in doing a Retro GT40 roadster....I have seen one that was done in NZ ..and I have to say it did not look all that tempting.
Kip has some cool ideas......would it be worth the time and trouble.....???Would you guys buy one?????If we built it....!!!!
....not an original Mk2 style roadster but more retro?????

Fran,
I will be posting in the next few days, a complete set of rough sketches, for a modern retro GT40 speedster .

Maybe it will spark a few ideas.......:)

I and probably many others would like to see a GTX-1 option from the kit manufactuars. I am very impressed with the "doodling" lots of talent, kudos.

Theon Karabatsos

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
To answer Fran's question - If I were to buy one it would have to have a hard-top I could install.. Far too many days that are just marginal weather-wise to count on taking it anywhere with my bride along side me..

Fran, the rectangular nose, the roofed doors, and the dashboard shape are very strong, distinctive elements of the GT40 in most enthusiast's minds (IMHO). I think a roadster, or rather a spider (targa) version would functionally be great. The open top lessens the internal noise and makes the whole caboose less claustrophobic, judging by other old performance cars. But the roof would have to be readily installable as Big Foot says, and I think on balance it would lose too much of the distinctive GT40 character to sell well. My 2c worth.

Dalton

I think we can split the design in two different cars, a more retro designed roadster, and then a speedster or barchetta GT40.

I would think that, you would need a two car garage , and having the problem of deciding ,which one to take out for a spin...:)

Back