Don's Mk IV Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
Every journey begins with the first step. My journey started last December when I introduced myself and announced to the world I would do some research on if to build a car or buy a replica in the used car market.

Well my wife agreed to visit Detroit in January and Fran and I discussed cars. GT40 Mark IV was ordered February 1st and I’m on my way!

After the order and money was shipped to Fran I started my quest for a power plant that will make the car special. This will be a Ford FE 7 liter car fitted to look like the NASCAR 427’s of the day, those are getting hard to find as I found out. Should be more power than I could use driving on the streets and at a track day or two.

Engine is started and I have included a picture of where it sets while waiting for the induction system to arrive.

I will try and include lots of pictures for everyone and hope you will give some advice along the way.

And away we go!

Attachments

• Ford 7 L.jpg
    Ford 7 L.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 1,191
  • 427_TunnelWedge_induction3_31.JPG
    427_TunnelWedge_induction3_31.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,194
Don If you were at frans, and you saw a mark-4 [yellow] It Is ours, and just about ready to come home! great news on your choice and keep us posted..................M

hello don really like the engine choice allso the twin 4 barrel
setup. after placing your order from fran how long until delivery
of your car i bet you cant wait.
chris

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
MMILLER, yes I was there and got a good look at your car, see pictures. I hope you will post some build pictures when you get started.

Although Fran has not confirmed a date I'm planning on late June for a shipment.

Sorry for placing the pictures out of order but you get the idea.

Later,

Attachments

• Detroit Trip 015.JPG
    Detroit Trip 015.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 1,698
  • Detroit Trip 016.JPG
    Detroit Trip 016.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 1,299
  • Detroit Trip 017.JPG
    Detroit Trip 017.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 1,229
  • Detroit Trip 019.JPG
    Detroit Trip 019.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 1,303
  • Detroit Trip 035.JPG
    Detroit Trip 035.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 1,234
  • Detroit Trip 034.JPG
    Detroit Trip 034.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 1,110
  • Detroit Trip 018.JPG
    Detroit Trip 018.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 987
Thanks for the pictures Tom We are very excited! I cant wait to see the avons on it fran told me they put the wheels together last week. I agree with the statement......gimmie.. gimmie....gimmie gimmie........................................................I have no patience!

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
So as I wait for the car to arrive I have started the garage remodel. If I'm going to have a Mk IV parked in it room needs to look the part. Storage cabinets are next. First picture garage was cleaned out. Last picture floor was done and wall, ceiling painted with new baseboard.

Attachments

• Old Garage 031.JPG
    Old Garage 031.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 825
  • garage 010.JPG
    garage 010.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 903

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
Can someone help with explaining how I should start building this air box? Have looked at heating a sheet of lexan and building a mold to vacuum form it. Is this the best way? Anyone know how they did it in 1967?

Thanks,

Attachments

• 1967_Ford_GT40MarkIV22.jpg
    1967_Ford_GT40MarkIV22.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 3,736
Can someone help with explaining how I should start building this air box? Have looked at heating a sheet of lexan and building a mold to vacuum form it. Is this the best way? Anyone know how they did it in 1967?

Thanks,

Think it would have been perspex back in the 'day' lexan requires a bit more prep to form as its hydroscopic [ absorbs moisture] and must be dried before you heat to form..... if you know any homebuilt aircraft guys they might be able to help you ( find the ones who are doing scratchbuild or plans builds--the ones doing quick build kits wont have a clue :) )

Thanks,

There are a number of small aircraft windshield makers around (one such maker has done many race car windshields). I would think they can make it for you or at least give you some good direction.

Update:
Its been a long while but, IIRC these guys were the shop that had done a number of race car windshields. Although they might be a bit too big to do what you need they were willing to talk about potential projects and offered suggestions when I called.

http://www.glapinc.com/Corporate/solutions.htm

Last edited:

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
As part of this build I have contracted with Race Car Replicas to build a set of 180 deg. headers for my 7 liter Ford. Part of the issue is they have not provided headers for this kind of engine before. Most people are using a Chevy or Ford small block for their builds. So the engine is going to RCR to be placed in my car and the headers built to fit. I thought I would share a photo or two of what the engine is looking like, my wife, even says it’s a pretty engine.

Engine has been placed in enclosed pallet and is on its way.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 1,049
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 931
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 851

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
As I wait for my car to arrive I have been playing in the garage. One of the main looks I like about the engine compartment is the clear air box with the clear carb velocity stacks. This was only done on the Holman Moody cars and draws your eyes directly to the top of the engine. At lease it does mine.

Because I shipped the engine off to Detroit to have headers made does not mean I can’t play with making engine parts that look original.

I acquired an old Ford 427 (2X4) FE intake and a couple old Holley carbs to play with while I wait for the engine to return. First step was to make a base pan. Made a shape from thin sheet metal which looked like the pictures than transposed to thicker aluminum stock. Picture one is the first step than picture two is the second pan made from thick aluminum tig welded with sides. Found someone willing to sell me the clear air horns and an original HM air box. I’m excited to have found these original parts and now ready to make the pan fit the original shaped air box, by the way I was not too far off by coping from pictures. For now I will wait for the car to final fit parts but I feel that I have done something to move forward.

I think the next step is to buy a Tig welder and learn to use it for making small parts needed. Oh by the way the picture in an earlier post is what it should look like when completed.

Later,

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 719
  • airhorns.JPG
    airhorns.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 932
  • airbox.JPG
    airbox.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 890
As part of this build I have contracted with Race Car Replicas to build a set of 180 deg. headers for my 7 liter Ford. Part of the issue is they have not provided headers for this kind of engine before. Most people are using a Chevy or Ford small block for their builds. So the engine is going to RCR to be placed in my car and the headers built to fit. I thought I would share a photo or two of what the engine is looking like, my wife, even says it’s a pretty engine.

Engine has been placed in enclosed pallet and is on its way.

Great choice of car and engine Don, how in the name of all that is holy have you managed to wed a lady that thinks engines are pretty:stunned:. I have never seen a 427 in the flesh but did see this overlay a few years ago , they are incredibly compact for a big block. What transaxle do you have in mind for the car.

Bob

114094_6v351vFE.gif

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys, “M” I can’t thank you enough for the poster.

When it comes to a good wife I truly am blessed.

Although the right transaxle would be a T44 my budget is not going to support that so a ZF is what I’m going with.

As I study the four “J” cars that raced at Le Mans in 1967 I feel like I’m playing a game of find Waldo. Each car is different which only means different people assembled the car and there are two different teams preparing the cars. The two Shelby cars, J5 and J6 had oil tanks with a clear oil level window while the HM cars oil tank did not. The Shelby cars had a hole through the body for viewing the oil level. The oil tank fill cap was below an access door top right rear finder while the HM cars J7 and J8 had a hole through the body for the fill cap. By the way the fill caps J7 and J8 had during the race are no longer the same. Of all four cars the rear spoiler on J7 was different; I’ll let you find it from the old pictures.

Sorry guys I just find this interesting.

Don - great choice on the engine. My favorite engine of all time. Let me know whose tires you're going to use and I'll run out and buy stock in that company !
A.J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back