Door mirrors

Tim what was the reason for not using them? They seem very popular on the DRB GT40's here.

Starting to think I should be talking to owners with them, luckily will see some of them Saturday night.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Craig,

As much as I like the design and the look I was a bit disappointed why they didn't work out for me.

First off, no dis-respect to Peter & Co. He was most prompt and professional.

1) I have a Tornado GT40. The mirror base mount was a little wider than the A-piller door frame and had to be sanded down a bit to fit and not to look like they were bolted on as an after thought. A body shop did the work for me, as well as painting to match. (The picture you posted above shows an A-piller almost twice as wide as what my Tornado has)

2) While driving, the mirrors vibrate. It seems a bit much weight hanging out so far with a relatively small base mount.

3) Due to the fact I had to sand down the base mount area, the vibration cracked the now thined base mount area. In DRB's defense, if I had not sanded the base mount area I'm sure they would not have cracked.

4) I purchased the non-electric model, the glass mirror fitment within the shell did not allow the mirror enough room to move for correct adjustment therefore rear view vision was not acceptable. Again, in DRB's defense, the mirror came seperate and I was responsible to adhere the mirror on the pivot mechanism in the correct place. I did a couple of trial and error fits but was never able to get a good result. I feel the mirror itself needed to be cut down around the perimeter a 1/4" or so. Then it would have had more adjusting flexibility.

I really do like the appearance of the mirrors. So, maybe in the future I will remount them but they will take a little work to make them functional. The main reason I put them away in a box was the vibration issue. In addition, when or if you ever hit a real hard pot hole that jars the car, the mirrors really shake and shudder.

Argh.

With wider door frames I expect there is a lot less hassles and less or no problems with vibrations as it's got that nice wide base still. Actually didn't know door frame thicknesses varied, not surprised though. If it's anything like Cobras, everything varies slightly from brand to brand.

Glad you pointed out your problems as I will make sure I ask people who have been using them on DRB what they think?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
I have a helpful UK source for new 1984 Mazda series I powered mirrors.
Apparently there are five different types/part numbers for UK cars.
Can anybody out there give me a clue as to which part numbers match our requirements as the retailer only supplies to a chassis number and I have no idea where to turn. Some of these are in stock, the others are ordered from Japan.

Keith

It may be a trick of the photography, but these "mini" mirrors look absolutely huge on the '40 - a bit like Prince Charles' ears in fact. What I want to know is - what's so interesting behind? Surely the view out front is more crucial in a '40? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

im sorry to even mention this, but i drove by an old ford pinto wagon and it had some pedestal semi 1st gen. rx7 style mirrors that might look good on the gt40

Craig,
Do you have a any whole, front, side, 3/4 and rear shots of PR's mirrors. Mail me or post, am interested, looks similar to Ultima's setup.

Brett

Has anyone considered the mirrors from the new C6 Corvette or the older C5.

Attachments

• 48061-015_2005_Corvette(2).JPG
    48061-015_2005_Corvette(2).JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 512

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I've been watching cars for the wing mirrors and recently noticed the Daewoo Matiz (now Chevrolet Matiz) see http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/

Has any one any comments on these mirrors - they seem to do them in Electric version and also manual where the adjustment comes through the door interior like a joy stick.

Electric £79 each manual £59 each from main dealer.

Comments appreciated

Thanks
Ian

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Murray

My thoughts too re the expense.

Also I am not wanting to add any extra wiring if possible so the thought of a manual mirror that meets SVA for me seems the way to go. (SVA will need mirror that will click / return to original position after being bumped)

Cheers
Ian

I guess how expensivee they are is a personal thing. They are sought after as 964 and 968 owners look for them to 'upgrade' their cars. A pair can be had for around 120 quid, if you are in no hurry. Douglass valley breakers in the uk had some last time I checked for someone.
Other breakers too in the uk have them from time to time (a place near Burton, but I forget their name PH Sportscars I think). There is a porsche specific breakers in Cali that had them on the shelf for those interested in the U.S.

www.type-911.co.uk sell second hand sets for 230 a pair.

I suppose if you fancy a set the best answer is to buy a copy of 911 & Porsche world and ring all the breakers.

I might try to find out how much a new set would cost, just out of interest...

Are you sure about that SVA requirement? I seem to remember that the only requirement was that they where adjustable and fixed to the car. It was 2002 when I put my last care through and they definatley did not have the ability to snap back into position if bumped.

Maybe its changed?

From memory they have to return to position under their own means and also retract under a force of no more than 10Kg per something. Also the drivers side has to be able to be adjusted by the driver.

I think if they are inboard and do not protrude the cars line though you are right Dave, for example the door mirrors they have on the Ultima.

Brett

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Dave

I'll double check in the manual tonight and post later to confirm current requirements but I remember reading it needs to return to the "set" position and also be displaced by a force of ?10?kg again not to hurt the buggers that run into the road!

More later

Ian

Back