draining oil on ZF

Since the ZF is inverted for the GT 40 I do not see how to drain the oil?

My technique would be to use the drain plug on the bottom of the box.

However, that requires that there BE a drain plug on the bottom of the box.

When the ZF gearbox was originally designed, it had a drain plug on the bottom. This carried through with the Dash-1 version as used in the Mangusta, which also ran in GT40 orientation.

When the Pantera came along, the gearbox was inverted, and that drain plug was now on the top; a second drain plug was installed where the vent had previously been, in the top cover (now the bottom cover). The first several hundred Pantera gearboxes were built with leftover parts, so they had the redundant plug on the top. But from early 1972 on, the case was no longer machined to accept that plug since it wasn't necessary.

When a Pantera gearbox is modified for use in the GT40 orientation, one of the critical steps is to machine the case for a drain plug. On my GT40 ZF, the case was actually damaged, and Lloyd Butfoy was able to substitute an early-style with the plug already installed. See below (my gearbox now inverted to show the bottom as it appears in a GT40, with my old case pictured alongside):

GT40ZFdrainplug.jpg

Now. If your ZF is already installed in your car, and it doesn't have the oil drain plug, you're totally screwed. It would also cause me to deeply suspect the rest of the work involved in the conversion of your gearbox; after all, if something so fundamental and basic was overlooked, what guarantee do you have that the more subtle nuances were attended to?

There are many, many subtle modifications that are required when converting a Pantera ZF for use in the GT40--and not everybody who does this work is guaranteed to know all of them. Among other things, the cast-iron rear cover has to be machined internally to guarantee an adequate supply of oil to the bearings which support the main shafts.

Rather than going that route, Lloyd was good enough to swap my Pantera cover out for a Mangusta cover, which incorporates a fill plug. The beautiful thing is that it allows one to fill it until the oil dribbles out; this ensures the correct amount of fluid is in the box.

GT40ZFbackcover.jpg

This fill plug is not strictly necessary; it's just a very nice feature to have. If you don't have it, you had better have the internal modifications on the back side, however.

Hopefully you are still 'in progress', perhaps looking at a Pantera gearbox that hasn't yet been converted for GT40 use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fearson,

I've not peered down the drain/fill plug on my RBT, but is there any chance you can insert a tube far enough down/around to evacuate the oil using vacuum?

Just a thought.

Ron

Drill and half inch bit ???

:idea:

Believe it or not, that's actually a viable solution.

One of the ZF gurus (Dennis Quella I think?) told me that if you're careful, and use a drill bit slathered with grease to catch the shavings, it's possible to drill an appropriately sized hole in the boss where the drain plug should be, safely. When you break through, you'll get covered with oil, of course.

You can then tap that hole, with a grease-slathered tap, and then fit a drain plug. All this can be done with the gearbox inside the car.

It still leaves unanswered the question as to the quality and extent of the internal modifications that were, or were not conducted when the gearbox was supposedly converted for GT40-oriented operation though....

The gearbox was rebuilt by RBT and there is no drain plug.

OOH, that's a bummer, and a definite oversight! I must say I'm surprised to hear that. :thumbsdown:

Well, the good news is that you can count on what is going on inside, at least. I would talk to Lloyd about it, but I think that drilling the case and installing a drain plug, in place, is probably the thing to do.

Mike

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
The gearbox was rebuilt by RBT and there is no drain plug.

Did RBT do the work commissioned by you and specifically as a GT40 conversion or by someone else who merely represented as an RBT rebuilt box to you? If it was someone else, Lloyd will likely have record of the rebuild and it may only require a phone call to confirm.

Best,
Kelly

The box was rebuilt by Lloyd himself for a GT 40. My problem lies in the fact that after I 1st put oil in it it developed a leak from the reverse detent assembly. I talked to Lloyd about this problem and he told me how to fix it. The problem now is I do not know how much oil I lost out of the case. My plan was to drain the oil and then put the correct amount back in. But now I cannot figure out how to get the oil out so that I can put the correct amount back in. I sent an e-mail and a phone call to Lloyd today but have had no response. Anybody out there have any other ideas.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
How do you normally check the level?

I know on my box (Renault) there is a side oil filler -you fill until the oil drips out and that is the correct level.

Perhaps there is something similar on the XF - perhaps even something on the back cover? Sorry don't know
Ian

Nobody else has any ideas?
If you only want to top off the oil my reference is an oil level 6.25" below the filler hole. I believe the oil capacity in GT40 orientation is something like 2.5 quarts. If you need to replace the oil I would say use a suction pump as best you can thru the fill hole.

Back