Drive belt water inlet adaptors

Hi Lee, Interested to read your enquiry and subsequently your web site, I have a RF under construction at the moment and we are using a Danny B with a Mezier remote pump (55 Gal ) I have been pondering the same issue and we potentially have an even bigger issue as we are running heat exchange units for the engine and gearbox which will further strangle the water supply. We are going to machine a "T" bar to sit across the two inlets and increase the size of the inlet diameter. If you get there before me please let me know how you went with engine temperatures.

This is the first time I have replied so not too sure if this is going to work or not, if you have an email address I could send some photos of the components we have manufactured to date.

Iain

Dave/ Iain
My inlet manifold/ heads combo has no facility for a thermostat.
Therefore I decided to go with the Davies Craig pump with controller. This only flows up to 110L/min which thinking about it is quite low compared to the Mezieres, but I have never yet seen a thermostat option for Meziere or CSR etc. The DC pump controller uses a temperature probe sort of in line. You can insert it into a hose connection close to the head outlet, or you can drill a thermostat housing and insert it in there. In my application I hope to be able to drill one of the -16 adaptors and insert it in there, otherwise I will have to use push on hose on the head outlets. The pump speed is then controlled to maintain the correct temperature. It pulses 5v to the pump while the temperature is low, and as it rises the voltage become constant, varying the voltage applied to the pump from 5V to 12V. It also automatically runs on at full voltage for up to 2 minutes after shutdown to avoid heatsoak.

I have no issue with the fact that 2 of -12 would be adequate for the flow of the pump, but I don't want a low pressure area in the heads. The previous owner had threaded the drive belt inlet ports to 3/4NPT, but had threaded into this a 90 degree -10 adapter. Why???!!!!!

The Meziere Y port adaptors have -20 on the single side and -12 on the twin side. That is the biggest Y port adaptor I have found. Using that, there is no point going bigger than -12 on the inlet side. Rather than using stainless hose for this I am going to use superflex silicone hoses (relatively cool inlet coolant) so from the Y port use -12 O ring to 3/4 hose adaptor, to 3/4 hose. In the block I will put a 3/4NPT to 3/4 hose adaptor. This is the best way I can think of to maximise the flow into the block.
In order to avoid the low pressure in the block/heads I will then put a -16 to -12 reducer on the outlets and run -12 hoses to another Meziere Y port adaptor. If drilling the -16 adaptor doesn't work out I will have to find a way of using push on hose to be able to insert the temperature probe. From there into the swirlpot and then back under the car to the radiator.
If the pump does not flow enough I suppose I could always put a Meziere 35gpm in parallel to run when the Davies Craig pump sees 12V, but I hope the one pump will be enough.

Lee,

If you want to go to -16 Perterson fluid systems has good Y-manifolds in -20 to -16's and -20 to -12's. Here is a link to the page http://www.petersonfluidsys.com/engine_cool.html.

I have 3/4 NPT to -16 on my heads going to a -16 to -20 Y and the fittings you pictured on your first post to -12 to -20 Y on my belt cover.

Also, if you want to put a thermostat you can using one from C&R that is a inline type. Here is a link to the page. http://www.crracing.com/custom_built/thermostats.shtml

Last edited:
Thanks for the links Richard. I still think I need to drop down the size of the outlets from -16 to -12 unless I can open up the inlets some more. Why do the Winston Cup folk use -16 outlets? I can't see the point if the inlets are only -12. Do they open up the inlets somehow, or is there a reason why -12 inlet and -16 outlet is OK?

Jac mac
Are you teasing? :)
I haven't a clue if they are or not. If the Yates heads are built ready for reverse flow, then that would explain a lot, and would make the plumbing easier. From what I've read so far, reversing a standard setup is problematic, but if the Yates is good to go, then I would be happy to try it.

Re: Drive belt water inlet adapters

Well, if you must know I do plan on feeding the heads first.
The idea behind reverse-flow cooling is to get the coolant when it's at its lowest temperature (fresh from the radiator) and direct it immediately to the water passages in the heads where localized heat from the combustion chambers and exhaust ports will transfer quickly and be carried away.
Since I am using a pump at the front of the car, feeding the heads or the bock is just as easy as to what pipe are plumbed to the output of the pump.
Here is a link to a page of engine builders that go to great lengths to make this happen (lots of plumbing), it is just so much easer for us. The section half way through the page is what I am talking about.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/challenge/2004/0502em_emc2/

Back