Dutton's RCR40 Build Thread

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Ron,

Nice catch! When I fired up the car for the first time, I must admit that I struggled a bit finding gears. Embarrassing doesn't begin to cover how I felt at the time...

For this 40, the shift plate is installed correctly though. So far as I can tell, the 'left and to-the-back' routine to access reverse has to do with where the cable connects to the shifter (which is below the shift arm pivot point), as opposed to a rod-style shift which connects above the pivot point and works as you noted (and we're both more familiar with).

Pushing the shifter forward selects 1st, 3rd and 5th; pulling backwards activates reverse, 2nd and 4th.

I'm not sure about the rest of the RCR lineup, though. Fran's a pretty busy hombre right now and we haven't been able to connect. I'll have to ask him about that when we finally catch up.

T.

Tim,

Do you have a special shift patern or is the shift plate on upside down?
Usually with a ZF, reverse is the furthest gear to the left and forward.

Hello Tim,

I plan to drive up in the morning still. See you shortly before noon. I wish it was in my own RCR, but maybe next year.

P.S I have my camera so plan to have some pictures taken of your car. :thumbsup:

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Looking forward to your visit, Allen.

Do keep in mind that the budget for the State for Washington isn't what it used to be. The State Patrol is doing what they can to boost the coffers... so keep a good eye on the speedo.

Hello Tim,

I plan to drive up in the morning still. See you shortly before noon. I wish it was in my own RCR, but maybe next year.

P.S I have my camera so plan to have some pictures taken of your car. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to your visit, Allen.

Do keep in mind that the budget for the State for Washington isn't what it used to be. The State Patrol is doing what they can to boost the coffers... so keep a good eye on the speedo.

Thanks for the heads up..... i'll be there between 12:30 and 1:00ish.

Camera in hand :)

Dave.

It was really nice to meet you today, you have a great car... the colour is so much better in person.
I'm really looking forward to you getting it on the road.
Thank you for letting me see it and putting up with me..... your welcome here anytime.

Dave.

It was nice to meet you too Allen, i hope your car gets to you soon.

Tim -Thanks so much. It was nice of you to take the time to show us your RCR. Your car looks great and I took several pictures of it while at your place. I am working on resizing the pictures and I will post them in an album a little later today. It was a pleasure to meet your better half as well.

Dave - It was nice to meet you too. Good luck on your research for a GT40 replica, there are several choices and it can be overwhelming for sure.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Dave,
It was great to finally meet you, and have the opportunity to talk about your plans to build a 40. If you’d like some company when you head into Seattle to have a closer look at Cliffs CAV, I’d love to join you. If it’s a sunny day, the ride’s on me…

Allen,
What a pleasure it was to meet you and Liz.
I was a little surprised to learn how similarly our builds have progressed. The truly great news is that, when turned loose, Fran’s team is capable of some remarkable details - they are craftsmen in every sense of the word. I look forward to learning about the special treats they’ve built into your 40. If the photos I’ve seen of the paint on your car are any indication of the car RCR is preparing for you, it will be well worth the wait!

Mark,
Can't say for sure just yet about where the 435hp fits on the satisfaction meter, as my car is still without a throttle cable. Fran and the RCR team are returning from vacation tomorrow; I'm hoping they have a package of parts ready to send immediately. Will definitely post some thoughts about the horsepower after I've finally got the car on the road… which can’t happen a day too soon!

OK I have several pictures of your car in the Gallery now,

f_Dutton.JPG

o_Dutton.JPG

r_Dutton.JPG

i_Dutton.JPG

http://www.gt40s.com/galleries/useralbums.php

Gosh gents, I'm sorry I missed this - just got done with a family activity packed weekend....would have loved to pow wow and chat in person with some of the local 40's...... We really need to get Tom P, Neal, Tim D, Dave, myself (I'm sure I'm missing a person or two in addition) for a NW get together before the summer is over. I have a couple of lifts in my new garage we could utilize as well if anyone wants to take a peek under their car (don't yet have the fridge with cold beer installed in the garage....).

I spoke to Tom the other day and he said he got the throttle cable in and took the car for a short drive. I'm sure he will tell us about it when he has time.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
First Drive

If a whopping two miles counts, that is.

After receiving the car from RCR in early July, it was discovered that a few items slipped past their typical careful eye to detail. While some of these things really have me scratching my head as to how they were overlooked, no one's perfect (least of all me) and these things will happen. After a few weeks of waiting for parts, I decided it was more important to get the car finished than to wait for the bits which I know Fran would eventually send. We’re fast running out of good weather in my part of the world.

Some time back I was introduced to Moslanders Rod and Custom, a well respected restoration shop in Monroe, WA, about 20 miles south of our home. I was thrilled to learn they could get our 40 in right away (the economy has affected their backlog of business too) to help out with the list I'd come up with as well as solving the 'Case of the Missing Throttle Cable'.

The work I asked them to perform on the 40 was completed fairly quickly, and the car was trucked home the afternoon of Friday, September 18th. What a joy it was to climb into the car, fire it up and actually be able to use the gas pedal! I backed if off the trailer and into the garage... but you know the story couldn't possibly end there. Understandably, temptation eventually got the better of me.

A few forum members would confirm that Donna and I live a wee bit out of town. You could call our area rural, but to do so implies that far more people live out our way than actually do. Truth be told, we're way outnumbered by deer and coyotes. As a result, there isn’t a whole lot of automobile traffic, even when it’s ‘busy’.

So, after dinner, I climbed in. I put the key in the ignition and turned it to 'on'. Flipped the switch for the right-side fuel pump, and stroked the gas pedal one time. I pressed the 'start' button, and fired it right up. Listening to the exhaust, the first thing that came to mind is how I felt like I had a tiger by the tail... one stupid move and I’d be eaten. It was a very sobering experience.

After letting the car warm up a bit, I rolled the car down our gravel driveway in neutral, then dropped it into first and slowly (and I do mean slowly) made the half-mile drive on pavement to the state highway. Coming to a stop at the intersection, both hands were already shaking. Look both ways many times, then ease out the clutch and turn left, heading for a gas station about a half-mile ahead. Gently roll on the throttle. Hey, this feels pretty good…

Second gear and floor it. Oh. My. Heavens. Most of that 435 horsepower just booted me in the backside. Hard.

The combination of noise (perfect) and thrust (unreal) is something that has to be experienced to be believed. I now have some idea of how the boys felt 45 years ago when they mashed that throttle pedal in anger. The car didn’t hesitate or hiccup once and, when pulling into the local gas station, was perfectly well mannered.

Five gallons later, it was back onto the highway with an eye out for anything with lights and a siren. I didn’t want the car out too long for fear of drawing the wrong sort of attention. I did manage to get the car into third gear before slowing to make the turn off the highway and towards home. Of course, it was nice and slow for the last half mile to the house, being sure to show as much courtesy as a GT40 would allow to the two familes living closer to the highway. One thing I don’t need is an irritated neighbor.

It almost worked. After I put the car away, Donna smiled while mentioning that the exhaust note chased two deer out of the yard.

Screw Bambi, I said. Those animals are just going to have to damn well get used to it. :thumbsup:

Really nice Tim. Congratulations. Getting behind the wheel of a well sorted GT40 for the first time is quite an experience. Especially, when it's your own car, and, it's as beautiful as your car is!

Take it slow at first - you want to make sure those brakes are working well and pulling evenly L-R and F-R before standing on them too hard. And, all that power can get away from you pretty easily, especially in the wet.

I've found that folks are pretty tolerant of the GT40 exhaust note - it's obviously a little more unique than the average Harley making a racket.

Here's another thing that'll become apparent pretty quick, even in your lightly populated area - everywhere you stop (gas station, grocery store, etc.) everyone will want to talk with you about your car. It slows things down but it's worth being a good supercar ambassador, especially with the kids.

Congrats and have fun!

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Congratulations Tim. It is a special feeling driving you own personal dream.
My wife knows when I'm coming home because she can hear me a good 2 minutes before I show up........ I'm sure in the stillness out your way that you will be heared MILES before you are seen.
Congratulations again on a beautiful machine.

Bill H

Hi Tim

Congratulations, sure sounds like you enjoyed yourself. I remember my first drive, looking forward to my horespower increase now - (coming soon).

I have not yet visited a petrol station without beeing approached for a chat - kinda fun really.:shocked:

Regards
Jason

Back