Electronic speedo output on a UN1

As I flip the crown gear on my UN1-13 for a rear engine application, I realize I loose the mechanical speedo output. Has anyone figured out an electonic speedo output that might fit in the same hole?
Thanks
Mike

Not heard of one that fits the same hole. Most blank it off and fit an induction/magnetic pick up type using the nuts of a drive shaft.

I think there was a good photo on Paul Walton Tornado build log

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
There are 2 possible speedometer take off points on the UN1 gearbox

One is a mechanical take off that uses a speedometer drive cable that spins the speedometer up in a mechanical fashion

The other is a unit that counts the crownwheel teeth and transfers an electronic signal to an electronic speedometer.

From memory the first one works of the secondary shaft the other is through a hole in the side case above and in front of the right hand drive output with gearbox in standard orientation.

There is also a unit that fits into the standard mechanical take off point and will convert the mechanical spinning cable to electrical pulses.

What sort of bits are you after?

Ian

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Speed Hut sell a GPS unit, no cables, other than power, as for the input to a programable electronic speedo, you can use any rotating magnetic type of metal such as the head of the cap screws on the CV like I used.

Thanks for all your helpful feedback. David-to elaborate-the mechanical speedo gear mechanism is built into the right side casing of the box(standing behind the box and facing the engine) and in the mid engine configuration, the crown gear is on the left side. When you flip the crown gear for rear engine use to the right side of the box, you have to remove the speedo gear mechanism to make room. That leaves about a 40mm hole in the case which of course can be plugged. I thought maybe someone had designed an electronic output unit to go in that hole. After everyones feedback, I think the easiest way is to plug the hole and get an electronic feedback from some other source-cv joint, wheel hub of gps.
Thanks again for your feedback

Back