Engine number, 289 or 302 that is the question?

Hi

Can any one tell me if this block is a suitable starting point for my upcoming GT40 project?

The block number is C3AE-6015-H so a 1965 but what does the H at the end mean and is it a 302 or a 289 block?

Cheers

Paul

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I think C3 would be 1963.

Decades...B=50's, C=60's, D=70's, and so on.

The number following the decade letter is the year in the decade, so C3 would be 63.

The A indicates it is from a full size Ford, the E designates it as part of an engine group.

The 6015 is the basic part number group...numbers from 6000-6898 are engine base assembly.

The H is the engineering version...essentially the 8th version of the engine.

Here is where I got my information from:

Decoding Ford casting part numbers

I don't think the 302 was introduced by '63, so my money would be on a 289 or a 260.

I am just curious...how many bolts hold the bellhousing on? I would bet it is just 5, the later bellhousings used 6 bolts. If it is a 5 bolt bellhousing, it would be a good engine with which to build a replica, as some states allow the car to be titled according to the year the engine was built and a 1963 might not require any smog equipment, perhaps only a PVC valve if you are in CA [Edit....just looked, it would be hard to be further from CA than you are!!!]

Others will be along shortly enough with the real data, what I said is just my understanding of Ford's designation and memory of what was available when I was 15 years old in 1963 and just learning to love the Fords!

Cheers!

Doug

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
No 302s sold to the great unwashed public until 1968, so a 289. Like the 1967-68 351s that were passed around AAR and other racers well in advance of the intro in 1969.

C3 is a 260 or a very early 289. Either way it will be a 5 bolt block for the early , small bellhousing. Havn't the faintest idea what you have planned for a trans but you will find it very, very difficult to match anything to a 5 bolt block.
If you need just a block let me know, I have several, easy, 6 bolters !

Mike

C3 is a 260 or a very early 289. Either way it will be a 5 bolt block for the early , small bellhousing. Havn't the faintest idea what you have planned for a trans but you will find it very, very difficult to match anything to a 5 bolt block.
If you need just a block let me know, I have several, easy, 6 bolters !

Mike

Ah great, thanks.

Sorry a typo on my part, I meant a 63 not 65, thanks everyone Though for saving me some cash, I suspected something like that.

Mike I will be in contact soon:thumbsup: I am wanting to use the Renault transaxle and only want a 302 not an earlier version, just still learning....

Paul

Last edited:
That's Definitely an FE ( Big Block ) Not a 260 or 289 , This is somewhere between a 332 & 427 ( most probably a 352 ) Find out what the bore and stroke are and that will tell that story. This would be for a MARK II build ???

That's Definitely an FE ( Big Block ) Not a 260 or 289 , This is somewhere between a 332 & 427 ( most probably a 352 ) Find out what the bore and stroke are and that will tell that story. This would be for a MARK II build ???

Hmmmm the clue was in the listing title really:rolleyes: Doh! I must learn to read more carefuly...

Back