Engine Start Button recommendations?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I've been looking for an OEM quality illuminated engine start button, but am not finding anything but cheesy Chinese junk.

Any recommendations?

I've been looking for an OEM quality illuminated engine start button, but am not finding anything but cheesy Chinese junk .

Any recommendations?

That's odd as when I googled start buttons I found lots of buttons but not a single boat, Chinese or not came up......

Mine has one from a VW Phaeton. Has two-stage logic (i.e., two positions for ign only, then start), and an illuminated LED ring. Also has a good OEM feel, and is relatively easy to mount.

Other good ones I've seen are from Nissan, BMW and other OEMs.

The Honda S 2000 is the best you will find.NO it isn't lit and not because I have it on my car, but because it is the most versatile of the lot. Here is the wiring diagram for the button. You will need to get the original harness at the time you pull this from the scrap heap. If none is available then a series of relays should do the trick. I can email it to anyone interested. Just came across these with a quick search. Lots of other interesting sites too.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=honda+s+2000+starting+diagram&qpvt=honda+s+2000+starting+diagram&FORM=IGRE
Project3-1_zps1b46fb43.png

Found it on the web about 8 years ago. You will notice (if you can get it blown up) that there are two safety mechanisms included. One is the neutral safety switch and the other is the clutch safety switch(must be depressed, acts like a stop light switch). Both of which can be used in other ways. I have mine wired to allow the engine to spin without starting. Allows the oil pressure to come up if it has been a while since starting.
I am currently rewiring mine to not allow the engine to start without the contact on the rear clip(Aerocatch) being engaged. I am going through a repair at present that happened because I was in a hurry and drove off without it being latched!! I failed to notice the wings of the Aerocatch latch standing straight up(unlatched). Damn ADHD.

Bill

Last edited:
The Honda S 2000 is the best you will find.NO it isn't lit and not because I have it on my car, but because it is the most versatile of the lot. Here is the wiring diagram for the button. You will need to get the original harness at the time you pull this from the scrap heap. If none is available then a series of relays should do the trick. I can email it to anyone interested. Just came across these with a quick search. Lots of other interesting sites too.
honda s 2000 starting diagram - Bing Images
Project3-1_zps1b46fb43.png

Found it on the web about 8 years ago. You will notice (if you can get it blown up) that there are two safety mechanisms included. One is the neutral safety switch and the other is the clutch safety switch(must be depressed, acts like a stop light switch). Both of which can be used in other ways. I have mine wired to allow the engine to spin without starting. Allows the oil pressure to come up if it has been a while since starting.
I am currently rewiring mine to not allow the engine to start without the contact on the rear clip(Aerocatch) being engaged. I am going through a repair at present that happened because I was in a hurry and drove off without it being latched!! I failed to notice the wings of the Aerocatch latch standing straight up(unlatched). Damn ADHD.

Bill

The Honda switch is fine, but in the SLC implementation, you don't need any of the relays. The wiring is stupid simple- just one leg to ground, and the other back to the existing harness wire provided in the harness in the kit.

ISIS can already use a neutral safety switch, or clutch pressure switch to control that logic as well, as has that logic already in later versions of their code.

The Honda switch is fine, but in the SLC implementation, you don't need any of the relays. The wiring is stupid simple- just one leg to ground, and the other back to the existing harness wire provided in the harness in the kit.

ISIS can already use a neutral safety switch, or clutch pressure switch to control that logic as well, as has that logic already in later versions of their code.

I have a used S2000 button from a prior project that I did not use. See pix below - 25 George Washington's to your door if you'd like it.

Attachments

• honda s2000 button schematics.jpg
    honda s2000 button schematics.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,879
  • honda_switch.gif
    honda_switch.gif
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,325
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 378
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 316
What you want to look for is an oem push start switch. The s2000 swt is a good choice and is easy to physically install (just doesn't have illumination). With many oem's now using this system you have many to choose from.

With some exception, many are normally open (NO) momentary switches. Many also have illumination.

Once you have the oem switch you'll need to find the NO pin-outs (and illumination if it has it). Purchasing the switches' harness helps, but it not a hard requirement.

I'm using the push button switch from a Ford.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Check this out. Comes with switch and relay wired and all set to go.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Engine-Button-Ignition-Starter/dp/B00BIDLACK]Universal 12V Car Engine Start Blue LED Push Button Switch Ignition Starter Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Back