Enjoy driving your 40 while you can!

Just received an email that you should know about. Good sources and reliable source.I hope someone can disprove this. It is about ammo, but it applies to gasoline as well. Email follows.

Subject: Lead Plant Closing

The Doe Run Lead plant is right here in Missouri and Yes, it is closing due to over regulated EPA rulings. Save your lead!!

All you can do is shake your head.......

All lead for bullets will have to come from overseas! This move will also make the cost 100 LL (100 low lead aviation fuel) UNAFFORDABLE. Approximately 2 g of lead is added to each gallon of aviation fuel!

There are numerous alarming reasons why the US government and the military have been buying up all the ammo. Here’s one of them.

Obama and the EPA just shut down the last lead smelting plant in the US . They raised the EPA regulations by 10 fold and it would have cost the plant $100 million to comply. You can own all the guns you want, but if you can’t get ammo, you are out of luck.

Remember when Obama promised his minions that he was working on gun control behind the scenes?

Welcome to it. Now, all domestic mined lead ore will have to be shipped overseas, refined and then shipped back to the US . Not only will ammo now be even harder to come by, the demand and the process of supply will cause the price to skyrocket even more.

And ponder this… There is an excellent chance that Obam will rig the market to where all ammo has to be purchased from a government entity instituting de facto ammo registration.

So much for the Second Amendment. There has not been a peep about this in the major news outlets and it is done.

With the US no longer producing lead, all supplies will now have to come from China , Australia or Peru , with the overwhelming emphasis on China . More redistribution of wealth; more economic and liberty crippling of the US on tap.

Marxists will do or die and are doubling down on the destruction of energy in America, our way of life and the Constitution.

The smelting plant has known since 2010 this was coming. They couldn’t stop it and no one else rose up to stop it either. The business had been in production for 120 years and now goes the way of our auto industry.

The military’s obsession with ammo was related to security and supply. They knew this was coming too, so they bought up all they could get before the plug was pulled. Screw the average American. It’s as Chris Muir said, he’s not as worried about where the bullets will come from, as much as how the government will deliver them and I’m right there with him on that one.

So, back door gun control is moving forward and while we are all distracted with shiny stuff, our Second Amendment rights are just about gone. Obama is one Marxist dictator who is savvy at political chess. He has flanked the Second Amendment. Now it’s our move.

You can Google this if you don’t believe it, or read this article:

EPA Closure of Last Lead Smelting Plant to Impact Ammunition Production

EPA Closure of Last Lead Smelting Plant to Impact Ammunition Production

Long term what this means: Your investment in ammo may be your best investment. Guns will be plentiful but ammo will be another story. How does $3.75 a round (that’s for one bullet) for a 9mm work for you? Box of 50 would only cost you $187.50

And in addition to the impact on aviation fuel and increased airline ticket costs, don’t forget about what this will do the the price of batteries too!

Do we have a great president or what?

Lead was used for two purpose, octane boost and valve seat lubrication. In the absence of lead other additives and different valve seat material were used to avoid the problem. Higher octane gas is available at a high cost. My ERA GT runs very nice on 93 octane when the engine is at normal temperature. So one tank with racing fuel and the other with 93 octane and flip the fuel pump switch. Also my ERA Cobra with a big ford engine runs with 93 octane.

Newer engines with direct injection, knock sensors and high capacity ignition coils allowed the manufactures to increase the compression and power with 87 octane.

Lead is extremely dangerous to the human health (not only in bullets)

What folk neglect to mention with modern engines is the computer system will retard/alter the ignition timing, amount of fuel and throttle opening to suit the condition along with the quality of the fuel. So to state that a modern engine has a compression ratio of say 10.5/1 and OK is wrong since the computer will alter those parameters to assimilate a lower comp ratio with timing/mixture to match.

To put another way, if you took a modern 10.5/1 engine and fitted a 4bbl carb along with a '70's dizzy with a fixed advance curve relative to RPM only it will self destruct in short order with unleaded gas. The only thing that might extend its life would be the advances made in combustion chamber shape.

Yep, lead is not good for humans, but I think more people have become ill from 'old' lead based paints in home restoration etc than exhaust fumes, but then I don't spend much time in town breathing taxi fumes :)

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Fine. I'll cast bullets from silver like The Lone Ranger...

I've said a thousand times; the EPA is nothing but a shadow govt within a govt...accountable to NO ONE...and its edicts have the power of LAW. That's NOT something The Founders intended.

It should be DEFUNDED by congress immediately...but, you can bet your boots lib-infested SENATE would block that move.

Ron Earp

Admin
Don't know if it is true, but I know for sure they're still going to be making millions of pounds of lead tire weights and using lead in batteries. I've still got a smelter and bullet molds for .356 (38/357/9mm) and .452 (.45), and a few reloading presses. I'll still be shooting along with lots of other folks that do the same thing. What pisses me off is .22 LR ammo being hard to find and over priced.

Number 2, this thread needs to take a trip to the paddock.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Subject: Lead Plant Closing

The Doe Run Lead plant is right here in Missouri and Yes, it is closing due to over regulated EPA rulings. Save your lead!!

All you can do is shake your head.......

Obama and the EPA just shut down the last lead smelting plant in the US . They raised the EPA regulations by 10 fold and it would have cost the plant $100 million to comply. You can own all the guns you want, but if you can’t get ammo, you are out of luck.

Remember when Obama promised his minions that he was working on gun control behind the scenes?

Welcome to it.

This has been done before...quite a few years ago the government made shotgun shell manufacturers stop using lead shot and start using a different material. Apparently the ducks were ingesting the lead as they sifted through the debris on the bottom of the ponds/lakes looking for food. That caused the ducks to develop high degrees of lead poisoning and that could be passed up the food chain if the wild ducks were shot and eaten. There was a lot of wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth at that time, mostly over the same issue mentioned above, but in the end Chicken Little was wrong and the sky did not fall. I suppose that the newer shot formulations might have added a little bit to the price of a box of shotgun shells, but there has certainly been no shortage.

I do stained glass work....with the decrease in the availability of lead we were all worried about what would happen to the solder we use to hold all the pieces together, as well as the lead pieces with channels (called "cames") that we use to assemble larger projects (a different construction process from wrapping copper foil around the pieces). In the end we were all worried about nothing...the issue of lead scarcity caused some reformulation to the solder formula, and now there are different alloys used in the production of the pieces of "came" (zinc is the most common replacement), but there is no shortage of available products there, either.

In the end I suspect this, too, shall pass. Firearms aficionados will still be able to get their ammunition....sure, there may be a small added cost, but in the end it's for the good of the general population to NOT be exposed to lead and IMHO that is more important than maintaining a dangerous formula for the production of the projectiles.

Cheers!

Doug

Local Duck shooters here in southern NZ just got the changeover to steel shot put on hold after a couple of seasons.... apparently the steel shot did not have the instant kill factor with the result of birds flying on for some time and then bleeding to death..... sooo they have allowed a return to lead shot at this time.

Don't know if it is true, but I know for sure they're still going to be making millions of pounds of lead tire weights

Lead tire weights have been outlawed here in Kalifornia for some time, due to the remote possibility that one might fall off a car and then be eaten by a spotted owl.

Now you can only get steel weights, which are physically much larger for a given amount of weight. This does not permit clearance with smaller (i.e. 15-inch) wheels and larger (i.e. Wilwood) brake calipers. Fortunately the only wheels I've had to have balanced recently have been on regular cars with lots of space, but for my performance cars, I may be forced to purchase lead wheel weights on the internet and then bring them with me to the tire store and hope that they are willing to use them.

Grrr...:furious:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Just a suggestion here, guys...read the "PolitiFact" article linked in Keith's post.

Bottom line...no shortage of lead...ammo manufacturers have all the lead (from recycled auto/storage batteries) they can use. No impact on prices has been seen, either....and lead-reduction efforts have been implemented by those very POTUS that the right-wingers just LOVE...Ronald Reagan and Gee-Dub.

Read the article...

Cheers!!

Doug

Last edited:
Back