Exhaust bracket

Looking for exhaust mounting bracket like in the following pics:

87.jpg

187.jpg

Where can I get them (including springs) or do I need to find a way to make them myself?
I want to mount them to my UN1 gearbox.

Thanx,

GJ

Do you have any Karting places near you? Lots of two stroke karts use very similar brackets/springs, that you might be able to use, might need slight modification.

In fact a Yamaha motorcycle dealer may still be able to order the bracket/springs used with a KT 100 kart motor.

Veels geluk met die soektog.

Cheers

Fred W B

Last edited:
Wow, Randy, that looks very nice!

I prefer buying them ready to install (or with some minor adjustments), but if that ends up being not an option I will definitely use your example.

Thanks.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
I welded small tabs on the underside of the muffler then a simple thru bolt bracket attaches to the trans and mufflers. Visually can not be seen unless looking for it.

Tim

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
GJ,

Picture from above with no indication of mounting point and picture from the side revealing the small tab under the muffler. You have to look close, above the black trans bracket, and you can see the hex head bolt against the tab and aluminum bracket. (It's the only pic I have) I'll get a better picture in the next day or two and post it.

Tim

Attachments

• Engine08c.JPG
    Engine08c.JPG
    645.7 KB · Views: 443
  • Engine08d.JPG
    Engine08d.JPG
    490.4 KB · Views: 448
  • muffler.jpg
    muffler.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 433

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I'm not sure how long spring tension lasts on those springs ...

Uh-oh, I bought some SS springs from Mcmaster for my car... better check into this....

Here's some spring material info that suggests springs can be made of alloys, eg 316 stainless, that will work up to 800 degrees F, which I suspect is enough that far down the exhaust tract.

Stainless Steel Springs | Custom Springs | Die Springs | Lee Spring

Here's another table with some temp. data:

http://www.engineersedge.com/spring_general.htm

However, I don't find SS springs at McMasters (common US industrial parts supplier) in anything but 301 and 302, which takes you to 550 F. Might squeak by...

I also noticed that Aircraft Spruce carries exhaust springs for Rotax ultralight engines that are used right downstream from the exhaust port:

ROTAX EXHAUST SPRING 938-795 from Aircraft Spruce

Also, all the SPFs use springs around the body of the stainless steel muffer near the middle. The picture below of SteveC's car P2125 shows the discoloration at the spring location is in the pale straw yellow range at worst which corresponds to about 450 F. The color transition in his picture also illustrates that if you can move the spring to the rear of the muffler things cool off quite a bit. So I think ordinary SS springs will just barely work.

100_0134 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
On both Doc's pictures (easier to see in the second), just even with the ZF's "ears" on both sides it looks like there are support rods attached to the exhaust collectors. Is that what they are?

GJ,
If you like the tab with the muffler take a look at how I did my Magnaflows. They come in several lenghts. These are 14" I believe. Then we added stainless extensions to match the exhaust tubing.
P1010145.jpg

PC210053.jpg

This is on the 930 inverted. Just a piece of steel tubing with a flat plate welded and mounted on the tail shaft. The flat plate is bent upwards and then tabs are added to the edges of the Magnaflows. These are at an angle(not as noticeable) and bolted to the bracket. If you need pics of the bracket I might have one somewhere.

Bill

Thank you, James. It looks like the supports just cradle the collectors while the bosses at the bottom allow for some slight side-to-side freedom of movement.
I'm curious about the heads in your photos- they have the screw-in studs like a HiPo 289, but the rockers look stock to me. At any rate, please ask your parts fairy to sprinkle a few in my garden too!
Bill- those are very nicely done- are you happy with the sound level?

Last edited:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Doug,
The legs on the bracket fix to the studs on the rear cover.
Those heads are a pair of C6FE's and very much like the HiPo heads with stock rockers as you say, but with bigger valves.
Did you get my email yesterday ? Drop me a line sometime.

Cordially,

John,
Here is a short video of the crank up. Finally got it with a decent camera. Still new at doing videos. This is unedited. Needs a good tune and a session on the dyno so is a little rough. It also is done in my basement that is concrete and little insulation.The first is at idle, then 2000 then 3000 then,,,, well see for yourself. Hope I posted it right.
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk242/Billmusarra/?action=view&current=P9110217.mp4
May take a while to load.The noise at the beginning is the rear clip fans. Motor had been running and left them on. They are controlled by a switch and a delay off timer of 3 minutes.
Bill

Last edited:
Was looking for some info on safety wiring and came across something interesting When using springs on exhaust systems, they suggest safety wiring the springs. You may ask, how do you safety wire springs? They show that you run the safety wire through the spring and attach the wire to the points that the spring is attached to. The point being that the springs will become brittle with time, and when it breaks the wire is there to hold it together. For edification it is 5-6 turns per inch.
HOW TO: safety wire your bike : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

Bill

Back