Experiences with wheel bearings and retaining compound

Hey guys,

Do you have experiences with retaining compounds with wheel bearings?
I need to use retaining compound on my front wheel bearings which can be seen here: https://office.jarkeborn.se/index.php/s/pirEPLzQtaXHq7L

Loctite has several types of retaining compounds and wonder which one to use.

1579630627907.png

1579630650740.png

Doug Dyar

Supporter
Joacim
It is not normal to use any type of Loctite when installing wheel bearing races. They have an interference fit and are pressed into place.
In my opinion, you have the wrong bearing race for your application.
Doug

Joacim
It is not normal to use any type of Loctite when installing wheel bearing races. They have an interference fit and are pressed into place.
In my opinion, you have the wrong bearing race for your application.
Doug
Thanks @Twosheds
I agree, I also felt a bit suspicious about this but I was told it is a common solution....but a bit hesitant. Front wheel bearings carries quite some load. I'll give it a try and see how it turns out, so ordered a 638...

I would suggest that whomever made the hubs has machined them to wrong dimension, that brg cup should be a light press fit. You may be able to save it by machining it use a bearing for same shaft size & larger O.D. & width as long as it does not weaken the hub at that point.

Most of that style bearing have a large circlip retaining the bearing not loctite..
jim
No circlip or loctite on front wheel bearings of that type that Ive encountered in the past 55 years of twisting spanners, cups always require a light press fit.

Ed McClements

Supporter
No circlip or loctite on front wheel bearings of that type that Ive encountered in the past 55 years of twisting spanners, cups always require a light press fit.
And if you're lucky, and the designer has been paying attention, a couple of small cut-outs on the inner part of the hub so that you can get a drift onto the back-side of the cup (outer race) to aid removal. I had read many times about running a bead of MIG onto a race, allowing it to cool and shrink the outer race away from its seat, but I was always sceptical about this method. A couple of years back I was overhauling the rear suspension linkage on a Beta trials bike and had to resort to attempting this technique - and it worked like a charm! Every day is a school day....

Locking/retaining compound will not work. The bearing race depends upon the interference fit to stay put when going through heat cycles.

It's possible you can find the bearing in the same ID and width dimensions, but with a slightly larger OD appropriate for a press fit - check some of the major bearing suppliers. I've used bearingsinc.com to good success.

I have a set of Granada Mk2 hubs also. Within short I will remove the bearing races from those and see if those is correct

Back