F1 2007

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Following two excellent victories, Kimi Raikkonen and Ferrari start as clear favourites for this weekend’s European Grand Prix at the Nurburgring.

Since Silverstone, Ferrari have tested strongly at Spa-Francorchamps and come to Germany with their tail up and on the hunt for more points to reduce the gap to McLaren. The latter, however, believe that they made improvements to their MP4-22 at Spa, where Lewis Hamilton was fastest on the only day that he ran.

“Despite having a mixed weekend at Silverstone, we still came away from the track with a good haul of points and I am now really looking forward to getting back to the Nurburgring,” Hamilton said. “I had a great weekend there last year, taking my first double win of the year, and I enjoy driving the track. In 2005, I also won one race there in F3; my team ASM was powered by Mercedes-Benz, and as a result the support from the crowd was fantastic.

“It will be great to race in front of them again, this time in the McLaren. I am sure the grandstands are going to be packed. The track has a very mixed layout, probably with more slow corners than anything else, so you need good traction for the acceleration on the exit. Through the first sector of the track you can really make up time, the corners are very slow so with good balance and under braking you can find the time.”

The new Nurburgring is a relatively high downforce track, and there is plenty of grip from the surface itself. As a result, Bridgestone are bringing medium and soft compound tyres for the weekend.

Besides being their home race, Mercedes-Benz also have another reason to celebrate here, as it is the 80th anniversary of their first win at Nurburgring.

Considerations of racing at home also make this an important weekend for both BMW Sauber, fighting hard with Renault to stay clear in third place overall in the constructors’ world championship, and Toyota, who are based in Cologne.

It is also going to be crucial to the career of young German Markus Winkelhock, who will be bringing a famous name back to Formula One racing this weekend as he joins fellow countryman Adrian Sutil at Spyker. The son of former Formula One and sportscar racer, the late Manfred, Winkelhock replaces the departed Christijan Albers in the team.

“Obviously it's a dream come true,” the 27-year-old from Stuttgart said. “I haven't had much time in the car this year but I'm physically and mentally prepared. It's a one-off opportunity at the moment and I will make the most of it.”

Team principal Colin Kolles said: “I am pleased to be able to reward Markus for his patience and loyalty to the team over the last 18 months with his F1 debut at the Nurburgring. It's very much a one-off race at the moment as we need some more time to decide who will be Adrian's partner for the rest of the year.”

Though the race is taking place two months later than usual, it is unlikely that it will experience better weather than is the norm in May; the weather forecast suggests there will be showers in the region each day

I'm quite hoping for a wet weekend actually. I'd like to see what Hamilton can do in the wet.

Personally I think he'll a)Get spanked by Kimi or Fernando or b)Will spank straight into the armco/gravel etc.

Opinions?

Keith

I'm quite hoping for a wet weekend actually. I'd like to see what Hamilton can do in the wet.

Personally I think he'll a)Get spanked by Kimi or Fernando or b)Will spank straight into the armco/gravel etc.

Opinions?

That's a very old style British prediction.....:zzz:

Following two excellent victories, Kimi Raikkonen and Ferrari start as clear favourites for this weekend’s European Grand Prix at the Nurburgring.

Since Silverstone, Ferrari have tested strongly at Spa-Francorchamps and come to Germany with their tail up and on the hunt for more points to reduce the gap to McLaren. The latter, however, believe that they made improvements to their MP4-22 at Spa, where Lewis Hamilton was fastest on the only day that he ran.

“Despite having a mixed weekend at Silverstone, we still came away from the track with a good haul of points and I am now really looking forward to getting back to the Nurburgring,” Hamilton said. “I had a great weekend there last year, taking my first double win of the year, and I enjoy driving the track. In 2005, I also won one race there in F3; my team ASM was powered by Mercedes-Benz, and as a result the support from the crowd was fantastic.

“It will be great to race in front of them again, this time in the McLaren. I am sure the grandstands are going to be packed. The track has a very mixed layout, probably with more slow corners than anything else, so you need good traction for the acceleration on the exit. Through the first sector of the track you can really make up time, the corners are very slow so with good balance and under braking you can find the time.”

The new Nurburgring is a relatively high downforce track, and there is plenty of grip from the surface itself. As a result, Bridgestone are bringing medium and soft compound tyres for the weekend.

Besides being their home race, Mercedes-Benz also have another reason to celebrate here, as it is the 80th anniversary of their first win at Nurburgring.

Considerations of racing at home also make this an important weekend for both BMW Sauber, fighting hard with Renault to stay clear in third place overall in the constructors’ world championship, and Toyota, who are based in Cologne.

It is also going to be crucial to the career of young German Markus Winkelhock, who will be bringing a famous name back to Formula One racing this weekend as he joins fellow countryman Adrian Sutil at Spyker. The son of former Formula One and sportscar racer, the late Manfred, Winkelhock replaces the departed Christijan Albers in the team.

“Obviously it's a dream come true,” the 27-year-old from Stuttgart said. “I haven't had much time in the car this year but I'm physically and mentally prepared. It's a one-off opportunity at the moment and I will make the most of it.”

Team principal Colin Kolles said: “I am pleased to be able to reward Markus for his patience and loyalty to the team over the last 18 months with his F1 debut at the Nurburgring. It's very much a one-off race at the moment as we need some more time to decide who will be Adrian's partner for the rest of the year.”

Though the race is taking place two months later than usual, it is unlikely that it will experience better weather than is the norm in May; the weather forecast suggests there will be showers in the region each day

And Wanni drinking all the wine without any help

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
"Though the race is taking place two months later than usual, it is unlikely that it will experience better weather than is the norm in May; the weather forecast suggests there will be showers in the region each day"

Oh really....................

Keith

Looks like McLaren were using that Ferrari designed wheel nut system they got on the cheap then...:)

Glad Lewis looks to be OK - that was a nasty shunt.

Excellent race, one I suspect neither Alonso or Massa will forget in a hurry. Good to see Ron's reaction when Shoie handed him the trophy! Fran, didn't know you were an F1 fan......where do you find the time?

John

Last edited:
Massa back home...as soon as possible plz.
I cant really accept to see a Ferrari passed that way :mad: ...if we had schumy driving...he probably will prefer crash all than let Alonso pass.
They choosed italian speak just to say "vaffanculo" after race..but this time Alonso is just right...damn.

WE WANT MICHAEL BACK......cazzo...:mad:

btw..nice race:D ..and so happy for winkelhock in pole position after monsonic storm.

:mad: ..will wait now Laguna,to feel better or even more angry.:mad: :D :mad:
All this in 42°C degrees of Milano city.....

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
That was a hell of a good race.

I wonder why Alonzo apologized and why Massa was so pissed?

Alonzo was faster and Massa made it hard for him to pass - if anything Alonzo should be a little hacked.

I certainly would have drawn the line at just one of Massa's back slaps after the race....the second and thrid and fourth ones bordered on offensive,

nice race really.
i just wonder why they choosed italian to fight..ihihihi.. one is spanish and the other brazilian. Isnt maybe cooler to fight in my language?:D

if someone needs, I am ready to teach forum mebers for free, just let me know:)

That was a hell of a good race.

I wonder why Alonzo apologized and why Massa was so pissed?

Alonzo was faster and Massa made it hard for him to pass - if anything Alonzo should be a little hacked.

I certainly would have drawn the line at just one of Massa's back slaps after the race....the second and thrid and fourth ones bordered on offensive,

Alonso apologized for his reaction towards Massa after the race. So not the race incident it self, but the way he reacted to Massa. He said at that time he was full of adrenalin.

John

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I wont see the race until I get home from work, but here is Webber's slant on things.

For immediate release July 22, 2007

WEBBER WEATHERS THE STORM TO TAKE PODIUM FINISH
Australian Mark Webber was delighted after scoring his second ever podium finish in today’s incident-packed, rain-lashed European Grand Prix when he finished a superb third in the 60-lap thriller at the Nurburgring. Webber’s success also marked the second ever podium finish for the young Red Bull Racing team.
The race was held amid changing weather conditions and was barely a lap old when the first spots of rain appeared. Weather predictions of a light passing shower proved incorrect as the track was hit by a deluge of water which sent the cars scurrying into the pit lane at the end of the first lap for intermediate tyres. Two laps later, track conditions had become so bad that no less than six cars slid off at the first corner and the organising body, the FIA, had no option but to suspend the race and re-start it under the Safety Car once everyone had re-assembled on the grid. Some were luckier than others; the majority of those who came to grief at turn one were instantly out of the race but McLaren driver Lewis Hamilton was helped back onto the circuit by a crane and drove his way to the back of the grid! Also fortunate were BMW pairing, Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica, who had clashed twice on the opening lap; their mechanics were busy making repairs as the grid lined up!
At the re-start, the drivers lined up behind the Safety Car in the order they were at the red flag, with a surprise leader in the shape of Markus Winkelhock (making his F1 debut for Spyker) who had pitted for intermediate tyres at the end of the formation lap! Webber was nicely placed too in fourth position despite a poor get-away at the original start when he lost two positions to the Toyotas of Ralf Schumacher and Jarno Trulli. However, Webber got Schumacher back at turn one, passed the two BMWs when they touched before overtaking Trulli at turn five.
The race stayed under the control of the Safety Car for three laps before going back to green. Rookie Winkelhock was quickly engulfed by Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso, while Coulthard got the better of Webber as they tried to pass the Spyker driver.
However, it was a short-lived state of affairs as Webber re-passed Coulthard a lap later before settling behind Massa and Alonso in third. Kimi Raikkonen and Alex Wurz were the first onto dry weather tyres on lap 11 followed by everyone one else a lap or two later. Raikkonen did well to get ahead of Webber for third while Wurz was right on Webber’s tail. Wurz though, had his mirrors full of the charging Heikki Kovalainen who nipped past the Williams driver on lap 18 and started to reel Webber in hand over fist.
The gap came down to less than half a second but try as he might, the Finn was unable to find a way through. The reason for Kovalainen’s pace became apparent when he pitted as early as lap 26, leaving Wurz to take the challenge back to Webber. Their battle for fourth place became the battle for third when Raikkonen slowed and retired. Wurz pitted on lap 37 while Webber went to lap 41 before making his scheduled stop, returning to the field in third place almost four seconds ahead of Wurz. The dice between the two looked to have been resolved in Webber’s favour, however there was a final twist to the race when rain began failing on lap 49, calling for another round of pit stops. Massa and Alonso pitted on lap 53 while Webber and Wurz stayed out for a further lap before bolting on intermediates. The gap was 4.4s when they rejoined in third and fourth but Wurz was on a final charge, the gap closing noticeably over the remaining laps. Coming onto the final lap, there was 1.6s between the two but by the time they had arrived at the last chicane, the two were level forcing Webber to defend his third place through the final corner.
“I lost a lot of time to Alex in the first corner on the last lap when I braked and the front right just locked up,” explained Webber. “At the NGK chicane, when I started braking, I think the rears were so heavily grained that the engine braking was having a bit of fun trying to cope. I locked the rears quite heavily and so then I had to be quite defensive to finish the lap. But Alex was fair, we fought hard and clean and we both enjoyed the battle.
“This is a podium I can enjoy. We benefited from a bit of attrition – I must admit I wasn’t too disappointed when I saw Kimi retiring – but we still had to complete a 300km race and we were there at the finish with both cars. That’s called for a great effort from everyone and today’s result is really for the team.” Webber’s six points combined with the four earned by his team-mate, David Coulthard, has pushed Red Bull Racing into sixth place in the Constructors Championship, two points behind WilliamsF1. Webber is now joint 10thin the Drivers Championship with eight points.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Aussie GP to be second F1 race in 2008

Monday Jul 23 13:54 AEST
The Australian Grand Prix has lost its place as the first race of the Formula One season.
The decision though, has allowed the popular V8 Supercars to return to Albert Park next year.
The 2008 race will be staged from March 13 to 16.
The Australian Grand Prix Corporation has resisted pressure for a night race - but has compromised with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone by agreeing to start the race at 3.30pm.
The decision meant that the Australian GP would be the second race on the F1 calendar, according to Grand Prix Corporation chairman Ron Walker.
"Taking all factors into account, this is the best option for our event and the people who support it," Walker said.
He said the AGPC would not be pursuing the idea of staging the Formula One race at night at Albert Park under existing circumstances.
"Our investigations have convinced us that as things currently stand, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages," Walker said.

Good race, that aquaplaning must have been hair raising.....it was a shooting gallery :D

Very sneaky of Lewis keeping the engine running, how it didnt cook i'll never know. Shame he never got that point, he drove very well for the conditions and I think deserved the 8th he missed by 1.5secs.

Great scrap between Alonso and Massa, I was hiding behind a pillow when Fernando was climbing over his rear wing.....:eek:

Back