F1 2007

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Fernando tells Ojjeh to stick his yacht.rockonsmile

Apparently Mansour Ojjeh a major player at Team McClaren invited Lewis uncle Ron, Fernando and others aboard Kojo his 72-metre yacht for some R&R and peace talks.
Lewis and Ron are already on board, Lewis reported as "frolicking" with Ojjeh's 18year old daughter.
Kojo was to make its way to Menorca this week where FA was supposed to join them.
The Spanish newspaper Marca, however, claims that FA turned down Ojjeh's invitation....Not a good career move one would think.
Anyway at least Lewis is having fun.;)

The main problem with F1 IMO is the predominence of aerodynamics in the performance of the cars and its severely adverse affect on the grip of a car following another closely and thus inhibiting its ability to pass. This has been known to anyone who follows F1 for a very long time but the FIA, for reasons known only to itself, refuses to do anything about it. I think the banning of carbon discs is probably a very good idea but I think it would be wrong to stifle all innovation as to the design of F1 cars - F1 is after all supposed to be the pinnacle of motor racing, both for the drivers and designers.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
The main problem with F1 IMO is the predominence of aerodynamics in the performance of the cars and its severely adverse affect on the grip of a car following another closely and thus inhibiting its ability to pass. This has been known to anyone who follows F1 for a very long time but the FIA, for reasons known only to itself, refuses to do anything about it. I think the banning of carbon discs is probably a very good idea but I think it would be wrong to stifle all innovation as to the design of F1 cars - F1 is after all supposed to be the pinnacle of motor racing, both for the drivers and designers.

Good points.

It was always my belief that Formula One is that fastest classification. I don't recall ever seeing anywhere that it had to be about innovation - that seemed to just creep in as being what they are "supposed" to be.

It is likely I am wrong......

Motorsport is fundamentally and has always been about innovation but most categories have had it stifled in order to keep costs down. However, if its not retained in F1 then where?

And I agree that its just the FIA who can't see it. The solution is in the aerodynamics. Make these things cars again instead of low-flying aircraft and we will be able to retain excitement, innovation and relevance in the sport.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
If Formula1 is about innovation then it should change it's name to Formula Libre', or "The Paddock" I.E. anything goes.

But Formula1 is not about innovation, although it sometimes pretends to be. It is show Business pure and simple, it's goal is to get bums on seats either at the track or in front of the T.V., attract sponsors and make Mega Bucks for Bernie and his mates.
This thread was originally called "F1 is boring me to death" and F1 still is BLOODY BORING.:mad:

And unless Bernie wakes up and turns it back into the exciting Circus it once was the Fans will eventually turn their collective backs on it.

Last edited:
Pete I totally agree with you. I used to be fanatical about watching the GP's but now if I miss one or more it is not a problem. The thing about todays GP's the aerodynamics is what is restricting the excitement and the inovation of the sport. When you win the race by the pit stop stratagy you chose it is not racing, overtaking your oponent on the track is. I prefer watching your V8 racing not just because it is a contact sport but because all the guys are giving it the max and there is overtaking.

regards

If Formula1 is about innovation then it should change it's name to Formula Libre', or "The Paddock" I.E. anything goes.

But Formula1 is not about innovation, although it sometimes pretends to be. It is show Business pure and simple, it's goal is to get bums on seats either at the track or in front of the T.V., attract sponsors and make Mega Bucks for Bernie and his mates.
This thread was originally called "F1 is boring me to death" and F1 still is BLOODY BORING.:mad:

And unless Bernie wakes up and turns it back into the exciting Circus it once was the Fans will eventually turn their collective backs on it.

The fact that the business and political aspects have become so dominant in F1, doesn't detract from the fact that the sport is fundamentally about race-car innovation (in the same way that football is a business but is still fundamentally about kicking a ball). Just look at any two consecutive years in F1 where there have been no rule changes and you will see significant leaps in performance. You don't see those sorts of leaps in parity formulas such as the V8 Supercars.

And with regards to F1 being boring, F1 races should not be seen in isolation. They are just the bit that happens between R&D sessions, and those who truly follow the sport closely understand this. Part of the spectacle is waiting to see if team "X" has managed to bridge the innovation gap to team "Y". If you don't view F1 with that in mind then you will always think that F1 is boring and you would probably be better off watching the parity formulas.

Keith

Formula 1 is the "fastest" formula by definition. In order to be "fastest" engineers are constantly tweaking to gain an edge. Speed, reliability and driver skills come before innovation. Sadly, driver skills have now slipped down the order and as long as major manufacturers own Formula 1 teams it will all be about "innnovation" and new technologies as this is the only way they can justify their stupid budgets.

Why were twin chassis set ups, fan cars, flexible aerofoils and ground effects banned in the past then? These were all "innovations" back then - but, the teams were virtually ALL privateers and thus understood what the term motorSPORT really meant.

Get back to privateers and the "sport" will return.

However, steel brakes is a very simple and relatively cheap way to bring back some sport into the circus now....:)

Ho hum - it will be diesels soon anyway and then it will cease to be.....at least in this house.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Just a small snippet as to why F1 may never return to Imola in spite of the re building
going on. Bernie - that's the incredibly little guy with the very tall spouse - asked the Mayor of Imola for a similar amount of cash that Valencia (Spain) has stumped up (believed to be $20m+). The Mayor went to the city, or more specifically, the large
businesses such as SECME (who make the tops of the bottles for Coca-Cola) who agreed put up the funds required, or- get this - agreed to fund major improvements in the Hospital, the new bridge that Imola so badly needs, and other major civic projects. It seems the majority in Imola and the surrounding area prefer MotoGp and Superbike to F1.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
From Mario Theissen B.M.W.'s Director of motor sport.

Q: Running a Formula One team is like…
MT:
…juggling two handfuls of balls, while standing with one foot on Bernie Ecclestone’s shoulder and the other one on Max Mosley’s, as the two of them are engaged in an emotional exchange of ideas

:D:D

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Kimi Raikkonen stamped his authority on proceedings as practice got underway this morning in Istanbul Park. The Finn was the pacesetter throughout the hour-and-a-half session, eventually working his way down to a best of 1m 27.988s, which compares with Ferrari team mate Felipe Massa’s 1m 26.907s pole last year. The Brazilian was second fastest, 0.403s behind on 1m 28.391s.

And then there was a gap of almost a second to the McLarens. Lewis Hamilton was third right up until the end on 1m 29.361s, when Fernando Alonso took the place with 1m 29.222s. Food for thought for the silver arrows team after a day spent yesterday trying to effect a bond between their warring drivers, but nothing to get too excited about at this early stage.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I am a little biased as I spent many weekends for many years racing Karts with Scott Speeds dad (and watching the little brat kick ass in everything he ran) but I am certainly glad to see the wunderkind Vettel get outqualified by his team mate once again.

(Yeah, yeah, yeah....I also know that Vettel is a rookie and he hasn't run at Hungary and Turkey before....but still)

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Pete

I could send you a DVD copy if you like, I went to sleep after lap 10 so I don't know if there was any action after that.....

Bill.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Keith, that bad eh?

Bill thanks, but I have a mate who lives about two k's away who will have it and if you only lasted ten laps I won't bother.

Back