F1 2007

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
The recent A1 Grand Prix test at Silverstone was not an affair with much interest in Formula 1 circles and it was odd therefore that one of the people spotted at the end was Ferrari F1 team manager Stefano Domenicali.
There is speculation that Ferrari might be bidding for the chassis and engine rights for A1GP as the current deals are up for tender at the end of the next season, which would be a nice little earner for Ferrari. The current deals are with Lola and Zytek.

The Italian Grand Prix was a busy affair with a lot happening in the Formula 1 paddock. One man who slipped under the radar was Tony Teixeira, who was to be seen walking the grid with Mr E on Sunday. Teixeira is best known in motor racing circles for being one of the founders of the A1GP Series. He is still involved but has sold a large chunk of the business to the RAB Capital hedge fund for a considerable sum of money. Teixeira is now talking about buying a Formula 1 team and Bernie is only too keen to have in the business. A1GP is not much of a threat in the overall scheme of things but it is nonetheless competition of sorts in some of F1's newer markets. Getting Teixeira into F1 will give him less incentive to work on A1GP - and perhaps convince him that the concept is flawed, as many in F1 believe. Teixeira is a very wealthy man having made his money in the rough and tumble world of natural resources in Africa, where his name is known across the continent. The word is that Teixeira was hoping to buy his way into Spyker F1 but was beaten to it by Vijay Mallya and so he is now looking at Prodrive and at Super Aguri F1, both of which are looking for backers.

Last edited:
Thursday evening - 13th Sept. So how is it going to pan out ? MClaren will have to appeal, and not pay the $100M fine, the appeal will take forever and eat into time to develop next years car, which then has to be inspected and approved by FIA ( read that as Ferrari ) to see if they consider any " intelectual property " has been incorporated in the new car. They (FIA - read Ferrari ) will find some obscure items in critical areas to claim rights to and demand redesign, there appears to be no appeal on this as it would very difficult to prove either way. So, my opinion, we probably will not see Macs next year, Alonso will drive for some other team and H will sit on his thumbs. Anyone got alternative scenario ?

Malcolm

Supporter
If an appeal doesn't get the fine reduced or dropped what is $100million to McLaren? I would guess 1/4 to 1/3 of a years income? Enough guys on this forum own or run their business. If you had that sum relatively speaking taken from you, would you survive?

I think Ron will be back to do his talking on track, just may take a year or two to recover. At least he will be saving on sending one christmas card to Ferrari this year!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
SEPTEMBER 13, 2007

FIA Statement

An extraordinary meeting of the World Motor Sport Council was held in Paris on 13 September, 2007. The following decision was taken:
“The WMSC has stripped Vodafone McLaren Mercedes of all constructor points in the 2007 FIA Formula One World Championship and the team can score no points for the remainder of the season.*
“Furthermore, the team will pay a fine equal to $100m, less the FOM income lost as a result of the points deduction.
“However, due to the exceptional circumstances in which the FIA gave the team’s drivers an immunity in return for providing evidence, there is no penalty in regard to drivers’ points.**
“The WMSC will receive a full technical report on the 2008 McLaren car and will take a decision at its December 2007 meeting as to what sanction, if any, will be imposed on the team for the 2008 season.”
The full reasons for this decision will be issued on 14th September 2007.
*Points gained by other teams so far this season will not be affected.
**No McLaren representative will be allowed on the podium should a McLaren driver win in any of the remaining races of the 2007 season.

McLaren Press Statement

Paris, France, Thursday 13th September 2007
"The most important thing is that we will be going motor racing this weekend, the rest of the season and every season. This means that our drivers can continue to compete for the World Championship. However having been at the hearing today I do not accept that we deserved to be penalised in this way."
"Today’s evidence given to the FIA by our drivers, engineers and staff clearly demonstrated that we did not use any leaked information to gain a competitive advantage."
"Much has been made in the press and at the hearing today of emails and text messages to and from our drivers. The World Motorsport Council received statements from Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton and Pedro de la Rosa stating categorically that no Ferrari information had been used by McLaren and that they had not passed any confidential data to the team."
"The entire engineering team in excess of 140 people provided statements to the FIA affirming that they had never received or used the Ferrari information."
"We have never denied that the information from Ferrari was in the personal possession of one of our employees at his home. The issue is: was this information used by McLaren? This is not the case and has not been proven today."
"We are also continually asked if McLaren didn’t use the information, what was the reason for Stepney and Coughlan collecting all this data about Ferrari? We can only speculate as neither Coughlan nor Stepney gave evidence at today’s hearing, but we do know that they were both seeking employment with other teams, as already confirmed by both Honda and Toyota."
"There will be no issue for the 2008 season as we have not at any stage used any intellectual property of any other team."
"We have got the best drivers and the best car and we intend to win the World Championship."

I'm confused. Mclaren either did or did not steal/buy/acquire data from Ferrari. If they did, then a 'fair punishment' has to be hashed out, 'fair' being in the eye of whoever. They currently have decided to remove all constructor points, so Mclaren can't win the constructor prize. O.K. If that's fair, then how can the drivers be allowed to pursue the driver's championship? Will they, assuming H or A wins, get an asterisk beside their name (as in Barry Bonds) saying so and so won the 2007 championship, however...?

The sad point is when s**t like this happens, the whole sport suffers. There is already a perceived bias re. specific teams which raises questions of fairness of rules, equipment (Bridgestone advantage for Ferrari?) and the like. If the idea that F-1 is 'fixed' continues to grow, (look at the Pro Wrestling crap) who's going to watch?

I say, "if someone is caught cheating, hang the bastards". Make an example of them then let the chips fall where they may. It doesn't mean they won't try, but they'd better not get caught!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Yes I agree it is confusing the F.I.A say they gave immunity to the drivers because they agreed to give evidence.
According to Mclarens press release the evidence they gave was the Schultz "I know nothing" answer. :shrug:

The most hollow of victories , I'm afraid, Paulo.
The whole issue smells.............the FIA seems to have double standards, not applying sanctions to the drivers stinks of self interest, not justice.

Last edited:

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Screw Ferrari.

I hope they choke on this Contructors "Championship"

Now that my emotional feelings are done, what the hell did McLaren do that resulted in this penalty? It must have been something, and if it was that bad then the drivers should lose all their points as well.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
SPORT IT AIN'T. And if they removed Alonso's and Hamilton's points then who would watch /come to the remaining 4 races.
Cheating - it's been going on in F1 for a long time and it won't be stopped by this debacle.
IMHO:
1.The 2007 season is finished.
2.The 2008 season is already Tainted.
3.The F in FIA stands for Ferrari.
4.Big Ron should have lost both drivers and manufacturers points as well as the $100,000,000 fine

And it's bloody cold here in Spa

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
SPORT IT AIN'T. And if they removed Alonso's and Hamilton's points then who would watch /come to the remaining 4 races.
Cheating - it's been going on in F1 for a long time and it won't be stopped by this debacle.
IMHO:
1.The 2007 season is finished.
2.The 2008 season is already Tainted.
3.The F in FIA stands for Ferrari.
4.Big Ron should have lost both drivers and manufacturers points as well as the $100,000,000 fine

And it's bloody cold here in Spa with temperature of 5 degrees at 0700 hrs in fog.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Stuttering, Stammering, Numb everything, AND effing cold.
I want to go home.
And I don't give a rats arse about Big Ron ot Ferrari or being politically correct or who wins this race - or the next three. I was going to Sao Paolo just for the fun.

Was.

Not any more.:dead:

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Haha, C'mon you are there and I'm here....Should I mention it is a balmy spring evening 26C and clear sky. I'm waiting for some mates to turn up to share chili mud crab and cold beers. And watch the Aussie footy finals.boomsmile

The F in FIA stands for Ferrari.

Couldn't agree more, I think the whole thing stinks, but also think that none of the parties involved are completely innocent. It would be interesting if it was taken outside of the FIA/Italian/British courts to give some impartiality.

Anyway roll on the Rally of Catalunya in a few weeks time... that's going t be far more interesting :pepper:

Brett

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,
You really know how to piss people off.
I'll now jump on a plane to Brisbane instead using my freebee to San Paolo and watch the race at your place instead. Nah. Stuff the race. Just tie one on instead.

Last edited:
The most hollow of victories , I'm afraid, Paulo.
The whole issue smells.............the FIA seems to have double standards, not applying sanctions to the drivers stinks of self interest, not justice.

eh eh Paul, I was only kiding.
I honestly use modern formula 1 just to sleep well on sofa in sunday afternoons, really dont know neither the names of all the pilots of the starting grid.
david coulthard races still there...schiumy junior too...are those pilots?
I'm a true fanatic, I prefer look the australian V8 champ...or "desperados" races.

What I just see today is a loosing F, cause shitty pilots, a too great general missing of that German champion from Kerpen, enjoying his family..and the nicest year formula one pass done even in my Monza by H in drift at first variant.
Also i wellknow all the world (that world) is pointing finger to those fu... italian winning since too many years (those italians always with mamma, mafia movies,thinking to girls and bella vita.....eating only pasta and pizza and singing 'o sole mio eh...).
Formula one is ridicolous,from every point of view.

With all the respect for everybody here inside involved with formula one...I think since many many years this kind of forumla is ALREADY as pro wrestling.Real motorsport is another matter,and having also worked for a short period of my life in racing world, I wellknow how it goes when money is the only target.
Probably..as old Alfa corse mechanics from the 60s told me in the rudest way possible, this is anyway better...money for nothing and chicks for free,;) nobody hurted, no tragedy..and alot of BS all over.

Jim Clark,Lorenzo Bandini,Jo Bonnier,Joacken Rindt,Gilles Villeneuve,Didier Pironi, Ronnie Peterson,Airton da Silva deto El Senna....just names from the past for fanatics only...try compare also just those few racing legends to modern era people...really no way.

What really impressed me..is the fair mc aren had in accept such MONSTER money penalty...100 milions dollars...in a while:confused:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Why weren't Alonso and Hamilton penalized?

Yahoo sports says the FIA said it did not penalize McLaren's drivers "due to exceptional circumstances'' and because they provided evidence in exchange for immunity.

Read : Sounds like plea bargaining or Ecclestone intervened to try and keep his sinking showboat afloat. The best he can do is run it aground and try and repair it for next season.

Asked whether the futures of Hamilton and Alonso at McLaren had been compromised by the scandal, McLaren chief Ron Dennis said the two drivers remain under contract.

Flavio is turning cartwheels since this judgment.......
``We have contracts with both of our drivers, multiyear contracts, and there has been no discussion about varying them,'' Dennis said. ``We have two of the best drivers in the world. If there is any variation to those contracts then it will be by mutual agreement.''

Dream on Ron.........

Last edited:
Back