F1 in 2011

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Rear Wing Infringment apparently. Appeal in progress:

*Article 3.10.1
"Any bodywork more than 150mm behind the rear wheel centre line which is between 150mm and 730mm above the reference plane, and between 75mm and 355mm from the car centre line, must lie in an area when viewed from the side of the car that is situated between 150mm and 350mm behind the rear wheel centre line and between 300mm and 400mm above the reference plane. When viewed from the side of the car no longitudinal cross section may have more than one section in this area.

"Furthermore, no part of this section in contact with the external air stream may have a local concave radius of curvature smaller than 100mm.

"Once this section is defined, 'gurney' type trim tabs may be fitted to the trailing edge. When measured in any longitudinal cross section no dimension of any such trim tab may exceed 20mm."

** Article 3.10.2
"Other than the bodywork defined in Article 3.10.9, any bodywork behind a point lying 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line which is more than 730mm above the reference plane, and less than 355mm from the car centre line, must lie in an area when viewed from the side of the car that is situated between the rear wheel centre line and a point 350mm behind it."

Just another F1 race. I missed nothing when I needed to pee. The NASCAR race was much more entertaining.IMHO

That's a cultural thing Bill. When you hosted the soccer world cup, you asked for the goals to be made bigger so that there would be more higher scores in the games....

On the other hand, I find going round and round in circles more boring than watching paint dry....IMHO of course.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
It may have been observed during the times when I inadvertently closed my eyes when I unconsciously dreamed of a Vettle DNF, but is my perception valid that the DRS (Drag Reduction System) is completely ineffectual in regards to providing a better passing opportunity? It appears that without the KERS augmenting the passing attempt, the DRS provided no additional gain, and by itself, did nothing to help.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Chris. I think I'll pour myself a large Macallum this evening. I brought a couple of bottles back a few weeks ago so they need to be used up before the sell by date.
I think.

It may have been observed during the times when I inadvertently closed my eyes when I unconsciously dreamed of a Vettle DNF, but is my perception valid that the DRS (Drag Reduction System) is completely ineffectual in regards to providing a better passing opportunity? It appears that without the KERS augmenting the passing attempt, the DRS provided no additional gain, and by itself, did nothing to help.

Terry, I agree.

The difference was so small as to be insignificant.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Terry, I agree.

The difference was so small as to be insignificant.

The DRS made about .08 second per lap in Melb, Kers even less.
Apparently no effect on passing, probably because everyone has it so it balances out.

Yes David you won, we all owe yo a case of Barolo.:thumbsup:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hamilton has spoken.
Oh dear.
He rates Mansell better than Vettel. And Alonso as good as Prost.
I think (IMHO) Hamilton will never ever get back to having the No 1
on his car and further more he will become an also ran as soon as
Big Mac drop him. 2012?
As soon as peopkle like Di Resta start getting close to Hamiltons times
watch the verbal fireworks and slanging matches start.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hamilton has spoken.
Oh dear.
Big Mac drop him. 2012?

Dave

I do think Hamilton has more chance than Button - Sure Button is fast but he lacks the killer instinct to overtake. Hamilton takes that chance and so will be in front of Button.

But yes the "old guard" I also believe will have their day and perhaps we'll see some more new blood come in and make a better race of it

Ian

Hamilton has spoken.
Oh dear.
Big Mac drop him. 2012?

David, It's a toughie.... put Hamilton in Vettel's car and who's quicker? We'll never know unfortunately. I think that Hamilton is as good a driver as any on the grid. His second place was an indication of how fast he can be in a car that is not nearly as competitive as the Red Bulls. The big loser so far is Mark Webber, who always seems to struggle in Melbourne. He must have been gutted by Vettel's Qualifying time.

But then again, is his car the same as Vettels? I wouldn't put it past the Mandarins at Red Bull to allow some small "differences"...

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
David, It's a toughie.... put Hamilton in Vettel's car and who's quicker? We'll never know unfortunately. I think that Hamilton is as good a driver as any on the grid. His second place was an indication of how fast he can be in a car that is not nearly as competitive as the Red Bulls. The big loser so far is Mark Webber, who always seems to struggle in Melbourne. He must have been gutted by Vettel's Qualifying time.

But then again, is his car the same as Vettels? I wouldn't put it past the Mandarins at Red Bull to allow some small "differences"...
Neither would I especially as the boss of Red Bull Loves Seb.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Shall we have another wager before the season progresses? I'll not enter this time.
I think you should enter if you win we wont pay up, as last year. I will pay my bit but only at Le Montrachet in Brisbane, next time you are in town.
O.K. Here are my biased predictions, WC. Webber 2. Button. 3 Vettel. 4 Alonso. 5 Hamilton. 6 Schumacher.

Interesting that Massa doesn't get a nod for making the top 5 from anyone. Hmmmm, He did appear to have that "blank stare" appearance when observed by me on the telly. Is he finished as a decent driver even though he's part of one of the *top teams? (*still to be determined for ths year!) Did his mishap last year really have that much of an impact on him that many think he might be done?

I must admit that after watching the first race I'm afraid to think of how much better the Red Bull with Vettle is over the rest of the field. On US TV Vettel got sparce air-time because he was so far ahead of second. IMHO thats indicative of what the director thought of his car........ miles ahead so why bore people with watching him trounch the field. Scarey to think about. Can the others catch him?

Here's my crystal ball tuppence prediction: 1, Vet, 2, Alo 3, Ham, 4, Web 5, Mas

Back