F1 in 2011

It's not cars but..... the best racing is FIM Moto2 and AMA Supercross....serious honest swap-the-lead racing without the need to monkey around the race conditions or create fantasy 'debris' cautions to make things more entertaining..ala Nascans, and F1. I enjoy F1 but they really need to come up with a package that allows closer racing.

Howard Jones

Supporter
F1.........take the areo off the car. For that matter, take the electronics off the car also. Decrease wheel widths to 8 inch fronts and 12 inch rears. Increase the engine size to 300 inches and max 12 cyls NA. Leave weight rules alone. Max fuel load to about 1/3 race distance. And just race um boys!!!!

I'm with you Howard, put together a race car package that can race. Leave all the electronics to the jet fighters. Lets have cars that can race together with drivers that know how to drive them. Keep it simple stupid.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Guys,

Another problem is they use qualifying to set the grid. I've seen a lot of races from FF to F1 and in most the fast qualifier just drives off.

I say start GPs reverse order of current points. Point leader starts last......Then you will get lots of passing!

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Bill,

You are right about NASCAR road races, great fun. Did you catch the Nationwide guys in Montreal, the F1 track, fabulous!

Keith

Hey Jim.. look mate this is the F1 thread.

Chalk and cheese - NASCAR/F1 shouldn't even be in the same sentence never mind the same website.

I've paid my dues at Talladega and I still have the scars from firework burns, but hey! It was a great experience for 6 years. I always went with a guy that owned a bar and a huge Winnebago. He also had a very beautiful girlfriend, and seriously I mean beautiful. Just to wind him (Mike) up she would come on to me just when Bill Elliott (No.9) was doing something risky on the outside, so when he crashed and burned (no pain no gain), he would suddenly notice what was going on (we were on the roof) in the midfield and knock her clean out.

Anyone who has been there will also remember the necessity of having towels soaking in the icebox to drape around your head/neck that's how hot it got.

Later, we used to have drinks and a barbie - her with a black eye, him with a split lip, black eye and squashed nose. Me? I was just burned up with the odd firework or three. Hugely enjoyable but to me, hey! that's NASCAR

There is no way to compare. Each discipline has massive fun factor and I love them both.

PS, if there's any other way to compare, I can only say this. Nascar = Spring Break, F1 = taking Mum to tea unless you are David Morton.. :)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
What did I say?.......
Keith - you really must get more sleep.
Out of interest, and of no political importance, I'm going to ask a group of
fellow wino's (Retired Pilots who Power Drink every thirstday night and Christmas day [On christmas day I had two bottles of Pinot with a chaser on every glass in one hour and I was supposed to be doing the cooking - I digress{I dont care}]. I've forgotten what I was saying - Oh yes - I'm going to ask them if they know what Nascar is.
I will report back. I hope you are ready for their replies as in a group they can be quite sarcastic(I suppose it went with the job!).
I digress again. I just started filling out the census form that came through the post yesterday.
For the question number 35 Briefly describe what you (did) in your main Job. I replied I sat on the left side in the pointy end , drank tea, and gave commands.

and 37 What is (was) the main activity of your employers? I wrote "Flying from place to place with good restaurants with or without passengers.
If you have interesting comments when filling out your census form, take a moment
and let us know in a new thread in the paddock called Census Forms.....

Last edited:
Well, the BBC are thinking the unthinkable. Axing the coverage of F1 completely.
Holey moley...........

Yep - scary stuff David :-

BBC considering axe for F1 coverage

<ABBR class="date updated" title=2011-03-14T08:50:55+00:00>Mon, 14 Mar 08:50:55 2011</ABBR>
    <IFRAME height=22 src="http://p.yimg.com/il/ymsb/fb_iframe_ajax.html?u=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.eurosport.yahoo.com%2F%2F14032011%2F23%2Fbbc-considering-axe-f1-coverage.html&t=BBC%20considering%20axe%20for%20F1%20coverage&l=Share" frameBorder=0 width=94 allowTransparency scrolling=no _yuid="yui_3_1_1_1_130020321170275"></IFRAME>
  • retweet
    <IFRAME height=22 src="http://pro.tweetmeme.com/button.js?url=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.eurosport.yahoo.com%2F%2F14032011%2F23%2Fbbc-considering-axe-f1-coverage.html&style=compact&service=bit.ly" frameBorder=0 width=90 allowTransparency scrolling=no _yuid="yui_3_1_1_1_130020321170279"></IFRAME>
  • Email
  • Print

The BBC is apparently considering ending its coverage of F1 in a bid to cut the amount it is spending on sports programming, despite the apparent success of the partnership since grand prix racing returned from rival ITV.
The broadcaster, which reclaimed F1 in 2009, is being advised to reduce its sports expenditure, which is understood to be around £300m a year, by a fifth over the next three years. With both the F1 contract and that of the Wimbledon tennis championships due to expire by 2014, they are seen as the most obvious candidates for the axe, although some high-profile presenters are also rumoured to be under threat.
Although the F1 coverage - which extends to 'red button' scheduling of all practice sessions - has proven popular with race fans, it is acknowledged to appeal to a relatively narrow, and often off-peak, audience and, with an annual cost of £40m per year, is seen as an expense that the BBC can do without in a time of financial caution, particularly after the revenue-generating licence fees were frozen in 2010.
With the broadcaster's football coverage deemed sacrosanct, and therefore safe from the axe, and even Wimbledon, which has been broadcast since 1937, seen as something of an institution that many would fight to preserve, F1 appears to be the most vulnerable of the BBC's sporting 'jewels', even though the 2011 season will see a third British driver, Paul di Resta, join the grid with Force India, alongside world champions Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button, whose recent success has been something of a ratings winner.
With local radio and regional television programming also reportedly under threat, impending BBC Trust chairman Lord Patten has admitted that 'all hell will break loose' when the full range of cost-cutting ideas is made public, although disposing of highly-paid presenters may be more easily accepted by viewers. Among those being named is former England international and Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker, who is rumoured to receive around £1m a year for his services. Former drivers Martin Brundle and David Coulthard will head up the BBC's F1 commentary team in 2011, while erstwhile team boss Eddie Jordan continues to accompany presenter Jake Humphrey as an anchor.

That will coincide neatly with the publics complete loss of interest in a 1500cc 4 pot F1 series that precludes any "racing" , only being enlivened by Bernies instant rain storms, I see little future in F1 being a watchable sport and presumably the BBC see that as well.

That will coincide neatly with the publics complete loss of interest in a 1500cc 4 pot F1 series that precludes any "racing" , only being enlivened by Bernies instant rain storms, I see little future in F1 being a watchable sport and presumably the BBC see that as well.

Frank,

You may be right, but I for one will miss it :(

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Bahrain ? I doubt it will happen at all. Bernie might as well as Gadaffi if he wants a street race in Bhengazi. It amounts to the same thing IMHO.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Bahrain ? I doubt it will happen at all. Bernie might as well as Gadaffi if he wants a street race in Bhengazi. It amounts to the same thing IMHO.

Bernie and Gadaffi, now there's a thought.:stunned:

Rumour has it that M.W. is really pissed off that S.V. got an extension of contract and a pay rise with nothing for Mark. I wonder where he will go next year.

Last edited:
Bernie and Gadaffi, now there's a thought.:stunned:

Rumour has it that M.W. is really pissed off that S.V. got an extension of contract and a pay rise with nothing for Mark. I wonder where he will go next year.

Pete, this is his last chance for a title. Wherever he goes, it won't be as good a team as Red Bull.

Also, what has he got to moan about. SV won the World title, so the rewards and accolades SHOULD go to him.

MW is a nice guy, but he needs to concentrate on his own World Championship and realise that he is a very fortunate bloke already....

Mike Pass

Supporter
I have a solution for the BBC budget. As F1 hasn't been a sport in the true sense of the word for a very long time just move the cost code over into the financial reporting section where it truly belongs.
Cheers
Mike

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
These are the tyre wall logo colours from Pirelli that will be used in the F1 season 2011.

<TABLE border=1 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD>Wet</TD><TD>Orange</TD></TR><TR><TD>Intermediate</TD><TD>Light Blue</TD></TR><TR><TD>Supersoft</TD><TD>Red</TD></TR><TR><TD>Soft</TD><TD>Yellow</TD></TR><TR><TD>Medium</TD><TD>White</TD></TR><TR><TD>Hard</TD><TD>Silver</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Here we go, here we go, here we Goooooooh!
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/grand-prix-2011/gallery-fn7r61dz-1226017012900?page=5.

Page 12 is my Fav.

<!-- video default --><!-- START video embed -->Webber on wings and tyres

<!-- // .module-header --><!-- // .module-content -->
webberwings.jpg

Watch
Close
Webber on wings and tyres

Mark Webber tells Sports Network he's not as concerned about new wings as he is about tyres.
Herald Sun22 March 2011

Watch More Video

<FORM jQuery1300787953445="285">
</FORM>

<!-- // .module.video-embed.vcms-player --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> ndm.media.loadvcms.articleplayer("1852603328"); </SCRIPT>
<!-- // .video .js-tab-content --><!-- // .tabs .js-tabbed --><!-- // .article-media --><!-- google_ad_section_start(name=story_introduction, weight=high) -->FORMULA One world champion Sebastian Vettel could be driving a Ferrari soon - despite signing a long-term contract with Red Bull. <!-- google_ad_section_end(name=story_introduction) -->

<!-- // .story-intro --><!-- google_ad_section_start(name=story_body, weight=high) -->The 23-year-old German recently agreed to drive for the title-winning team until the end of 2014.

But it has now been revealed that there is an 'out' clause in Vettel's deal which would allow him to leave if Red Bull does not deliver him a competitive car.

Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz says he is confident that the team will satisfy Vettel's ambitions but added that he would allow him to switch teams if it fell off the pace.

Mateschitz said he hoped the new contract would end speculation that Vettel would move on to Ferrari but the key clause means rumours about Vettel's immediate future will persist.

The Austrian billionaire told the Allgemeine Sonntagszeiting paper the deal was done "so that he can feel secure at least for a while'', but also to put to an end the 'hunt' of the other teams that often came "close to the boundary of reasonableness''.

<!-- // .story-sidebar -->
"If we cannot give Sebastian Vettel what he needs and he asks us, despite his contract - to let him go, I can not imagine that we would not agree.''

Mateschitz was also quoted as saying that the exit clause was a "formality but is hardly necessary.''

But speculation also surrounds Australian Mark Webber, who is on a yearly deal with Red Bull.

The team has not ruled out an approach to McLaren's former world champion Lewis Hamilton when his contract expires in 2012.

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said that he would be open to an approach from Hamilton's management.

McLaren is again under pressure after pre-season testing exposed several reliability problems with the 2011 cars.

"Lewis is a great driver. You would think he's not going to be happy having another barren year,'' Horner said.

"That is not to say we are looking for him to come to our team. That is more of a question you would need to put to Lewis.''

Hamilton, himself, has dismissed any suggestions he will leave McLaren any time soon.

"McLaren are an incredible team,'' Hamilton told the Daily Mail.

"They are fighters and I'm a fighter. My heart is with them.''

Last edited:
Bernie and and wet tracks are in the news again.

Why not take away the potential hazard of a suddenly wet track but keep the suspense....

-Random stop/go for one random car from each team.
-Each team to pull in a driver and whilst his tires are changed must run round the car 3 times singing their National Anthem
-cars are filled with a random quantity of fuel unknown to teams till cars on the grid (obviously have to bring back refuelling but that was a good thing i think)
-Ban all radio and telemetry. If the driver wants fuel because his low fuel light is on, has to wave at his pit as he speeds past and then that could lead to random fuel light activation levels across the grid bringing 'fuel light bingo' to F1, could make my wife a potential driver.
-Bernie has a big button on a chord around his neck. On a whim he can press it for a random car to mandatory pitstop. But then turn this into a revenue generator, "call the number on the screen if you want Alonso to be forced to pit, Calls cost £1.50 + your standard call charge..

This could also be the start of a new thread..Ron is a thread content copyrighted where rights are owed by the forum so we could sell the ideas to Bernie? That could fund the forum...

Anyone else with ideas whilst we wait for the season to start?

Maybe i've had too much coffee this morning

Last edited:
Back