F1 in 2011

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Yep driver error, but the reaction of the crew when they heard the transmission
from the favoured one was to laugh, so I guess they saw through that.
I wonder how many bits will come off Marks car to repair Seb's?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Sam Michael is leaving Williams Gp but has pledged he will still be in Formula One next year.
Well Chaps - any guesses where?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Will Kubica return to F1?
Boullier, the boss of Renault cast doubts about a return. Any thoughts?
I think Boullier might be on the money.

I've heard the same from inside the paddock - in that sadly Kubica won't be back in F1, the guard rail that came through the front of the car severed his hand very badly between his fingers.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Why does Hamilton needs Abu Dhabi race?
Vettle only needs to win five more Grands Prix and then coast to second
in all the subsequent races to retain his championship lead. If Abu Dhabi doesn't happen it consolidates Vettel's chances as it's one less for Hamilton to win.
Just think - if Vettel wins the races up to and incluing Silverstone, Hamilton and Button et all are just driving around in advertising hoardings.
Just another thing to brighten up your otherwise mundane week......

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Why does Hamilton needs Abu Dhabi race?
Vettle only needs to win five more Grands Prix and then coast to second
in all the subsequent races to retain his championship lead. If Abu Dhabi doesn't happen it consolidates Vettel's chances as it's one less for Hamilton to win.
Just think - if Vettel wins the races up to and incluing Silverstone, Hamilton and Button et all are just driving around in advertising hoardings.
Just another thing to brighten up your otherwise mundane week......

Thanks David, I needed that. Brightening up I mean. It was a master class by the brat.
The one who punched above his weight was Di's heartthrob Alonso.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Pete,
The coming of the 'brat' was a foregone conclusion. You were told about it long ago.
He will beat Schumachers records of title wins hands down. Speaking of the uberkraut, Jordan summed it up quite well. He is becoming F1's Mohammed Ali - one race too far. Quite sad in a way but I have always though him an obnoxious arsehole who did a lot of damage to F1. But having said that - anyone who gets in and drives - let alone races - in these cars has to be admired.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
After the race in Turkey Nicki Lauda made a comment about Vettel's winning ways:

If he keeps it up like this, the season will be over at half distance," the blunt RTL commentator and triple World Champion Niki Lauda said.
Lauda must be reading GT40s.com !

Also, in his post race comments, Brundle said of Schumacher "he was sad to watch".
and his former team mate in Benetton, Johnny Herbert, thinks the Uber is uber.
Finally , the Italian News paper La Gazzetto Dello Sport said if it continues like this, it is no longer a question or if (Vettel) will win the championship, but just when."

The fat lady is rehearsing and about to sing I think.

Last edited:
After the race in Turkey Nicki Lauda made a comment about Vettel's winning ways:

If he keeps it up like this, the season will be over at half distance," the blunt RTL commentator and triple World Champion Niki Lauda said.
Lauda must be reading GT40s.com !

Also, in his post race comments, Brundle said of Schumacher "he was sad to watch".
and his former team mate in Benetton, Johnny Herbert, thinks the Uber is uber.
Finally , the Italian News paper La Gazzetto Dello Sport said if it continues like this, it is no longer a question or if (Vettel) will win the championship, but just when."

The fat lady is rehearsing and about to sing I think.

Yes David - I do believe she is gargling as we speak :(

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
A couple of barely newsworth items to report.
A1 Ring (Zeltweg) is back on the calendar in 2012. ( Probably going to be renamed as The (Red) Bull Ring because Mateschitz owns it)
Vettel's bottle of champagne in Turkey was in fact 7-up fizzy pop.(Because he's not old enough to drink alcohol in Turkey)
Moseley lost his court case.( Justice in action)
Kubica had another operation on his previously almost severed hand.(he hasn't thrown his hand in yet then.....)
Greece is building a new F1 circuit (A bit rich because they've just been cap-in-hand asking the rest of Europe to bail them out or they will leave the Euro.
timeo Danaos et dona ferentis.

Last edited:
What ho young sir

Mechanics almost complete (about a weeks work) and then off to Terry Hennebery to fit body and organise painting. Hopefully ready by end summer? I will try and post pics on (sadly neglected) build thread.

Further appologies for drift.

Best

John

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Drift away Guys - surely thats what this forum and especially the paddock area is all about. Sort of what you like and when you like and these sort of 'drifts' actually make it worthwile.

What ho young sir

Mechanics almost complete (about a weeks work) and then off to Terry Hennebery to fit body and organise painting. Hopefully ready by end summer? I will try and post pics on (sadly neglected) build thread.

Further appologies for drift.

Best

John

John,

That's great to hear. Now get some bloody pictures up :)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
From Autosport.com.

Alonso confident over title fight

By Pablo Elizalde Wednesday, May 11th 2011, 11:09 GMT

Fernando Alonso is convinced he will be able to fight for this year's title if Ferrari can continue to perform like it did in Turkey.

The Spanish driver scored his first podium of the season at Istanbul, after his strongest outing of the year so far.

Alonso is now hopeful he will be able to stay in the championship fight if Ferrari can keep its momentum, despite Red Bull driver Sebastian Vettel having scored three wins in four events.

"You know I like playing with numbers - and as I travelled backwards and forwards between home, Maranello and Turkey, I made a comparison between my first four races of last year and those of this year in the corresponding grands prix," said Alonso on Ferrari's website.

"What came out of this little game was that compared to 2010 I'm eight points short (49 versus 41) but in the same four races, this year I've brought home 13 more points compared to last year (41 versus 28).

"It's true that my current gap to the top of the drivers' championship is much greater (52 points) compared to what I had after Shanghai 2010 (11 points) but I well recall that after Silverstone we were 47 points away and we only had eight races left.

"Today we still have 15 grands prix to come. This shows that you can look at the same thing in two different, even completely opposite ways. What matters are results and we've started to make the podium: we must do that regularly and if so I'm convinced that we will again be able to fight for the title."

The Ferrari driver said the Turkish GP podium was a morale boost for his team, but admitted the Maranello squad cannot be pleased with a third place and must keep pushing to be able to win races.

"Third place was also important for the morale of the team. We were all unhappy with a start to the season that did not live up to expectations and we know how much good it does to see that the efforts expended every day are paying off.

"But we certainly can't be happy with a third place and what matters most is that we must be much more competitive in qualifying. If we always start from the third row or lower it's a struggle to fight for the podium.

"We have a lot of irons in the fire and we hope that as early as next week in Barcelona we will have new parts that allow us to take an important step forward in qualifying as well."

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Mateschitz of Red Bull fame has gone on record saying F1 returning to the Red Bull Ring is unlikely. Lauda has also gone on record saying nobody knows what Mateschitz is planning.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
And Barichello may be talking himself out of F1 by telling everyone he won't stay with Williams in 2012 unless the team 'gets better' than it is now. There are plenty of 'youngsters' who will use the Williams Gp Team as a rental car outfit - even if they are running around at the back of the grid and fighting with each other to come last.
So long Barichello. You were only ever of low average ability.

And Barichello may be talking himself out of F1 by telling everyone he won't stay with Williams in 2012 unless the team 'gets better' than it is now. There are plenty of 'youngsters' who will use the Williams Gp Team as a rental car outfit - even if they are running around at the back of the grid and fighting with each other to come last.
So long Barichello. You were only ever of low average ability.

David - Are you in a bad mood today ;)

Back