F1 in 2016

Keith

My neighbours gardener fell off a ladder and landed very horizontally and won the local hospital award for the most fractures in one accident for his 12 broken ribs and 6 vertebrae. I was amazed at how quick they discharged him so hopefully Alonso will be back up and running again soon.

I fitted a G sensor to my car to cut the fuel pump power in an accident. It operates at 10g. Holding it in your hands whilst clapping triggered it. I wonder how long the 45 g was sustained for? Can't have been long as he would not have walked away had it been sustained. Just as well he is a fit bugger. Who gets his seat?

Stofel Van Doorne is in for him this weekend and possibly China. After that who knows but there will now be pressure on Alonso to hang up his helmet permanently...His testing 'accident' of 2015 still has not been fully explained, nor the 'injuries' suffered in it..

Keith

If any one thing were to put the final nail in BE's coffin - that speech would be it Mike.

I've always supported Bernie - after all, he's made millionaires out of a bunch of grease monkeys, but now, he has definitely been drinking the kool-aid to paraphrase a popular American colloquialism...

The question, as always, is who would succeed him? Make no mistake, when Bernie goes, a lot of F1 goes with him and not necessarily all the bad stuff..

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I always stop reading when I see phrases like "obscene nett worth" Bernie has done more for F1 than any other person alive, the fact that he has made himself "obscenely" wealthy at the same time shows he is a good business man as well.
The problem with Fi today is Bernie has lost outright control and a committee of vested interests have taken over.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee.

P.S. I thought the race was very good with some outstanding performances back in the pack.

I totally agree with Pete on this issue. But maybe time to change rather than reflect.
I always liked BE's taste in women too!

I was an avid F1 fan but with this onslaught of rule changes or dumbing down of the cars I really struggle to find the motivation to sit down and watch it anymore. Bring back the qualifying cars,T cars, refueling and all the other clever trickery that had people hanging onto the edge of their seats. The cost cutting malarkey has clearly not worked, its now more expensive to make the lesser cars more competitive than it ever was.

Bob

Keith

The new hybrid engines have come in for a bit of stick and they do take some understanding. I guess because BE has rubbished them from day one, they do not seem to receive any positive press. I came across this comment the other day and reproduce here in full for the benefit of those (like me) who have not delved too deeply into the technology. For one moment, please try to forget your thoughts on "green energy" at least as it applies to F1, and as engineers, marvel at the achievements highlighted here:

"194.478 km/h was average speed of Bahrain GP winner last weekend. 308km was done… so pretty much ze sexy F1 engines do under a humble estimate 33l/100km While racing accelerating, cornering, braking and yes sometimes overtaking. Most even under fuel, but lets be conservative and just say 100l/308km. That is pretty good. My humble car NA Toyota does 16.7l/100km when doing 190km/h… I tried but it wont reach 194.478 km/h. Give or take about half of what F1 engine consumes at similar speeds.

Now here’s the big one… My humble power-plant has 0 ERS 0 turbocharger 0 KERS… thus only generates 87 bhp… and not at 12000 RPM… F1 engine does roughly lets say 870bhp in race trim? It seems like F1 engine produces 10x more power while only using 2x more fuel… so as a rule of thumb… my humble car using F1 efficiency could travel at its top speed for… 1/5th fuel consumption? 3.34l/100km while traveling at certainly unsafe speeds. What about at safe speeds? at around 120km/h my F1 petrol churner would eek out 1.5l/100km…

Which is simply astonishing."

End quote.

I think the power units are one of the best things about the modern F1 car.
I also don't mind the noise of the individual cars.
My beef in the noise area comes from one of my main issues with the formula - lack of variety.
Years ago F1 was like an orchestra playing a symphony, now it sounds like it's all oboes - I like oboes, but...

Lack of variety,
Too many over-complicated rules cynically trying to engineer excitement,
Too much emphasis on celebrity.
First two = control series, last two = treating the audience like easily manipulated morons.

These are the problems with F1 as I see it.

Tim.

If people are against the new power plants simply because of the green thing then that seems to me to be more than a little crazy - efficient is good - right? Surely...

They are amazing and inspiring tech.

They do bring back old memories though: wasn't there a ruling about the vacuum cars that said something about auxiliary power units being illegal? Long time ago now...

Tim.

Keith

Agree on the sound issue but the V8's were nasty and shouldn't be compared with the 'lazy' 3.5 V10s &12's which had the definitive F1 tone. I also liked the NA Cosworth 3 litre V8 era with it's lowly 10-15K rpm range and the first turbo era 15K rpm bark, but those 2.4 litre V8's running at 20K rpm? Nah...

I think these PU's would sound awesome rung out a little but perhaps that would defeat the object..but I don't mind how they sound now and that's only on YouTube!

Keith

If people are against the new power plants simply because of the green thing then that seems to me to be more than a little crazy - efficient is good - right? Surely...

They are amazing and inspiring tech.

They do bring back old memories though: wasn't there a ruling about the vacuum cars that said something about auxiliary power units being illegal? Long time ago now...

Tim.

That would be Halls Chaparral (probably the originator of the concept) in sports car racing and the Brabham F1 Fan Car (Gordon Murray/Bernie Eccelstone) BT46. However, only the Chaparral had an auxiliary power unit, the Brabham was driven from the main motor. Yes that's an interesting point but I think they tore up that rule book years ago.. :)

The new hybrid engines have come in for a bit of stick and they do take some understanding. I guess because BE has rubbished them from day one, they do not seem to receive any positive press. I came across this comment the other day and reproduce here in full for the benefit of those (like me) who have not delved too deeply into the technology. For one moment, please try to forget your thoughts on "green energy" at least as it applies to F1, and as engineers, marvel at the achievements highlighted here:

"194.478 km/h was average speed of Bahrain GP winner last weekend. 308km was done… so pretty much ze sexy F1 engines do under a humble estimate 33l/100km While racing accelerating, cornering, braking and yes sometimes overtaking. Most even under fuel, but lets be conservative and just say 100l/308km. That is pretty good. My humble car NA Toyota does 16.7l/100km when doing 190km/h… I tried but it wont reach 194.478 km/h. Give or take about half of what F1 engine consumes at similar speeds.

Now here’s the big one… My humble power-plant has 0 ERS 0 turbocharger 0 KERS… thus only generates 87 bhp… and not at 12000 RPM… F1 engine does roughly lets say 870bhp in race trim? It seems like F1 engine produces 10x more power while only using 2x more fuel… so as a rule of thumb… my humble car using F1 efficiency could travel at its top speed for… 1/5th fuel consumption? 3.34l/100km while traveling at certainly unsafe speeds. What about at safe speeds? at around 120km/h my F1 petrol churner would eek out 1.5l/100km…

Which is simply astonishing."

End quote.

That is truly epic consumption/performance. 33 equals 9 mpg in old money and for that sort of race after race performance & reliability is a credit to the engineers and fuel boffins.
I have always estimated my 40 to give about 8-10 mpg with 375 dyno horses at Le Mans with a top speed of around 145/150 mph(not constant high revs of course like an F1 engine) so maybe I need a decent battery pack installed in the floor :stunned::stunned:
If Mercedes use that tech in a road car anytime soon it will be a winner.

Back