Fillipe Massa

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Good news! I wonder how Shue is going to like running mid-pack? He can always boot his competition off the track... :clown:

Personally I think he will very quickly be doing better than mid-pack. I think Kimi will be crapping himself.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Massa out of Intensive Care

Thursday 30th July 2009

Felipe-Massa_2320870.jpg

<!-- /storybox -->
Felipe Massa has left the AEK hospital's ICU to move to his own private room as he continues to recover from last weekend's Hungarian accident.

Massa, who suffered a fractured skull and an injury to his left eye during Hungarian qualifying, underwent more tests on Wednesday, receiving a positive prognosis.

According to Ferrari's website, he can 'speak, sit upright and was even able to take his first steps.' The rate of his recovery saw the 28-year-old taken off the critical list and moved into a private room.

"The most important situation is that Felipe is out of intensive care and now in his own private room. He is speaking more or less normally and he has managed his first few steps so, from a clinical point of view, everything is going in the right direction," said Ferrari spokesperson Luca Colajanni

"There are no issues for the time being, and although we are still cautious, he is getting better and better. The situation is improving all the time. There was some suggestion he would leave the hospital soon but he will remain in Budapest for as long as is necessary."

Meanwhile, other reports claim the Brazilian's remarkable improvement could see him transfered to a hospital in Paris earlier than scheduled.

After leaving AEK in Budapest, Massa will reportedly head to Pitie-Salpetriere Hospital in Paris to continue his recovery.
<!-- /intelliTXT -->

I think it is great that Shuey is coming back and don't think it will tarnish his reputation at all. I mean most people already hate him! That said given he is filling in and hasn't been involved from the start of the season or anything there is no pressure to be a top performer. If the Ferrari team were doing great it might be different but I don't think anybody is expecting miracles. I think it ads a bit of interest to the season.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
That said given he is filling in and hasn't been involved from the start of the season or anything there is no pressure to be a top performer.

I think in Schuey's case the pressure will be that which he puts on himself. I think his mindset will always be to be a top performer. I don't think it's in his nature to contemplate anything else.

Also, I bet he's just dying to blast Kimi into the weeds just as a matter of principle. Remember when Shuey retired, Massa embraced Michaels mentoring and Raikonen rather spurned it.

Also I bet he wouldn't have taken the drive if he expected to languish midpack. He'll be looking to be at the front. Maybe Ferrari have some significant updates due out soon which could get them to the forefront again? Similar to McLarens recent improvement in form.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I expect he will be flown to Paris today or tomorrow and then if he's fit enough on to St. Paolo over the weekend. I would anticipate a chartered Gulf 4 type aeroplane rather than commercial for the trip home.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Amendment to that last one - Massa will be flown direct from Ferehegy(BUD) to St Paolo (GRU or CGH ) in a private aeroplane arriving in GRU sometime on Sunday. He will have his doctor,a nurse, and his family with him on the flight.
He will return to Paris some time later.

MS will destroy car, pit crew, fans, Mother Theresa, whatever it takes, to win in a come back situation. He's not the kind of guy to retire and then hang out on the couch getting sloppy and slow - it'll be a very easy transition for him to get back into the piloti seat and start winning again....

I did hear on the grapevine that Ferrari had suspended development on the 09 car and was putting their resources into next years car. With schumacher in the car for the rest of the year I can't help bit think there might be some pressure to change this strategy.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Massa checked into the Albert Einstein hospital (quite famous for Plastic Surgery) on Monday and left there, to continue convalescing at home, on Tuesday. No timetable for return to race fitness according to his Doc - Dino Altman.
Him and Smedley seem to make a good team so I think he will be OK for a 2010 drive
in spite of this setback. I think if they didn't renew him, they would have a hard time surviving at Interlagos.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Felipe Massa on Monday said he was targeting a return to competitive Formula One action at his home Brazilian Grand Prix in mid October.

"I hope that I can be back at the Brazilian Grand Prix for my public, and perhaps even earlier," the injured Ferrari driver told Brazilian TV Globo.

It is reported that the 28-year-old's recuperation is progressing at speed, but that the vision in his left eye is not yet back to 100 per cent.

Massa is hoping that by the next round of detailed tests at the beginning of September, he will be given the green light to return to the track.

"If the doctors here in Brazil say it is OK I will first of all get into a kart," he said.

The step after that is for the FIA's medical team to assess him.

"I can hardly wait to drive again," said Massa, who revealed that he has not feared death at any time during or since his Hungarian GP qualifying crash ordeal because he remembers nothing of the actual incident.

Keith

"I can hardly wait to drive again," said Massa, who revealed that he has not feared death at any time during or since his Hungarian GP qualifying crash ordeal because he remembers nothing of the actual incident.

It will be good to see him back but I hope he doesn't start remembering his crash at 200 mph whilst approaching a hairpin... :stunned:

Back