Ford 5.0 Coyote in SL-C

Fran tells me that this has been done but I have not found applicable posts. I am considering a build and believe I want a cam in head V8. I would like to consolidate info on the Coyote in the SL-C in this thread.

Mike,
we installed one at the factory three years ago.
The customer we did it for is not a poster on this forum.
As I mentioned previously the intake is similar to the LS in that its dry and only requires minimum work to reverse it. I don't recall any water pump mods being necessary.
Its really no more complicated than that.
It requires a different engine mount too obviously.

I am unaware of anyone else doing the Coyote as the LS engines are mainstay...as you can see there are rotary, Audi, Lambo, Maserati and Ferrari drivetrains that require much more custom work to be installed...so the Coyote install is an easy one.

Fran, Thanks again. I found out that I have a genetic defect 14 years ago when I drove a Honda S2000 and took it to 9K shifts. The Ford crate has 8100 RPM fuel cut but the stock Mustang manifold appears to run out of breath at 6500. The Boss heads and intake take power peak to 7800 but that manifold sits higher than the stock and I suspect it will interfere with the clam. trying to learn how big the blister needs to be. BTW, my Honda has 104k on it now.

I would have had a coyote engine in my car had they been available at the time I started. I am also 4 camshaft affected, so much so I purchased a Ferrari engine for my build initially. In the end it was too much of a challenge to install and get operating, I opted for the default LS based set up. Seems odd to me not that I know anything, the Ford Motor would run out of breath so early relative to its fuel pump cut out. Sometimes running out of breath is due to camshaft, sometimes the manifold, maybe this is a job for individual throttle bodies!

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Having always been a Ford guy, I thought hard about using a Coyote. However, the LS3 has more displacement, more HP, more TQ, weighs less, and costs less. So, I just couldn't justify using a Coyote just for the sake of having a Blue Oval on it.

If I built a GT40, I'd have to seriously consider those Kaase P38 heads.

Mike, you are a man after my own heart. I have been hooked on the coyote since its introduction and am planning that route when I finally drop the gun. The nice thing about the Boss or Cobra jet is that the intake angles down compared to the stock, so if it does fit beneath the hatch then so would the rest of the intake runner. Word has it that a new 5.0 ecoboost will be available for the 2016 models. Maybe direct injection?

I would have had a coyote engine in my car had they been available at the time I started. I am also 4 camshaft affected, so much so I purchased a Ferrari engine for my build initially. In the end it was too much of a challenge to install and get operating, I opted for the default LS based set up. Seems odd to me not that I know anything, the Ford Motor would run out of breath so early relative to its fuel pump cut out. Sometimes running out of breath is due to camshaft, sometimes the manifold, maybe this is a job for individual throttle bodies!

You're right to mention running out of air and ITBs. With an aggressive cam, often the only way to get the necessary air into the engine is via ITBs. There's no vacuum to pull from and all cylinders draw air exactly the same way vs. a regular manifold. It can be the only way to get the engine to idle. Funny timing, I just wrote an article on this yesterday actually: Benefits of Individual Throttle Bodies - Level X Motorsports

Near the bottom is a video of Stage7's LS7-based SLC with Jenvey ITBs (used with permission).

Not what I had hoped for when I opened this thread. This is what I think I know. There is a single SL-C that at one time had and may still have a Coyote installed. The base coyote (Mustang GT) has forged crank, sintered rods, cast pistons, 6500 RPM redline, 412 HP, 390 #-ft. The base LS3 has nodular crank, sintered rods, cast pistons, 6600 RPM redline, 430 HP, 428 #-ft. Both can be had for about $8000 with controller and pedal. Upgrade the ford with forged rods and pistons, bearing changes, etc to Aluminator NA adds $1800 and moves redline to 8100 RPM, 412+ HP, 400 #-ft. Additional breathing changes to heads, cams, intake can raise the numbers to 500+ HP, xxx #-ft. There are upgrades to the LS3 but I do not find a GM upgrade that raises the redline. I think that the Ford is heavier, about 40-50 pounds, but I do not have oranges to oranges comparison.
I am intrigued with the Graziano transaxle but its native habitat is behind engines with 8400-8700 RPM redlines. The shift points for the first two gears with the Ford (8100 RPM) are 43 and 69 MPH, for the LS3, 35 and 56 MPH. Maybe that in real street use, it will be a five speed with a grandma for parking lots, trailer loading. If not, looks like Racelogic has a lot of work to do.
I have been a Mopar guy most of my life but do currently own an F-150, the only Ford I have ever owned. I think this comes down to brunettes or redheads, Cummins or Cat, Ford or Chevy. To use an old movie line, “There is nothing to see here, move along.” Thanks for the feedback.

In my dream SLC, I'd like to use either an ls9, a twin turbo coyote, or something Italian (twin turbo maserati v8 comes to mind). I like the coyote for some of the same reasons you mentioned. It can rev higher than an ls for less money and holds massive power with a few mods. You mentioned how the Graz is meant for higher revving engines. I have the same problem with it. I like to think that I'd be doing some mile events with my SLC and the graz doesn't lend itself to that with a comparatively lower revving engine. Just remember that there are alternative options. The porsche boxes may be more expensive but they have their place

Old thread, I know, but I've ordered a SL-C from Fran and I'm going to be installing the Aluminator version of the Coyote and using the Graziano transaxle. At least, that's the plan... parts shipped to Fran for fitment during the initial build.

Howard Jones

Supporter
No pictures...........Didn't happen.................Sorry that's the rule.......... Ask him if you can post a couple of pics.

Only if I allow you to Mike.

The cage wont be finished by Monday (race cages take 45+hrs) so it will look like any other SLC in progress

Back