Ford GT starter wiring

This part is the bane of my existence.

I decided to bite the bullet and order the motorcraft part - sorry, we don't have this part in stock and have no idea when we can get it so you can't order it. WTF Lol?

Lol, utter fail trying to get this part.

After my inability to order it I decided to write Ford a letter describing everything I'd done (pigtail catalogues, multiple stealerships, contacting Denso, yadda yadda yadda) and got a call back from them - the result - "please contact your local Ford dealership for any parts inquiries". :shy:

I will find a way to get this pigtail.............

Howard Jones

Supporter
Alex, with all due respect I'll could have gone out in my garage and made one quicker than I read through this thread. It's just a ring lug crimped onto a 10" length of what looks like 12g wire....... Splice it onto the chassis wire and attach it to the terminal on the starter.

Your over thinking this my friend. Radio shack, any electrical parts store or even home depot has both wire and ring lugs. Buy a cheap crimping tool and be done with it.

Please don't spend hundreds of dollars on this......it will break my cheap Italian heart.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Here........ I can't stand it.....do this.

Attachments

• HPIM1196.jpg
    HPIM1196.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 331
Alex, with all due respect I'll could have gone out in my garage and made one quicker than I read through this thread. It's just a ring lug crimped onto a 10" length of what looks like 12g wire....... Splice it onto the chassis wire and attach it to the terminal on the starter.

Your over thinking this my friend. Radio shack, any electrical parts store or even home depot has both wire and ring lugs. Buy a cheap crimping tool and be done with it.

Please don't spend hundreds of dollars on this......it will break my cheap Italian heart.

It's not a lug terminal - it's a single prong terminal that's "deep" into the starter. (deep because it's meant to have a connecting pigtail attached to it that 'locks' onto the starter for extra security)

You ~could~ use a spade connector and shove it into the pigtail socket and it would kinda seat on the prong. I tried that but it didn't give a really solid connection and I'd be worried about it vibrating out over time.

Don't worry, i'll figure this out....eventually.....I'm not surrendering to gluing in the spade terminal yet :D

Howard Jones

Supporter
sorry, the ebay part really looks like a ring lug. How about clipping a foot off a wrecking yard harness. Ford must use this connector elsewhere in its lineup.

That would work, if another vehicle used that harness.

According to the fgt forum it ~may~ come off of a Toyota, but nobody has any specifics and Denso won't release what applications that starter was used for.

I've spent hours looking through the pigtail book, and nothing. Back in the 2005 one they listed something called a 'ford gt starter pigtail 1 prong', so we ordered it but it didn't have a hope in hell of fitting in the starter, so who the heck knows where that one even came from.

The problem I'm running into is the stealerships have no clue, they can't get a response on Ford from it, Denso won't speak to anybody who isn't Ford, and anybody who might be able to help at Ford is hidden behind a wall of dummies of who can't seem to understand basic english.

It's like Im trying to find a part that exist, lol!

You ~could~ use a spade connector and shove it into the pigtail socket and it would kinda seat on the prong. I tried that but it didn't give a really solid connection and I'd be worried about it vibrating out over time.

Yup, Silconed mine in this way and it's still holding. If you bend the spade connector togehter then force it on the start you'll have a hard time getting it off. If you zip tie it to the 2 guage cable from the battery, it's real hard to even move.

Even if it comes off, you have the rear clip that is open in the back. If the SLC won't start, walk to the back and snap the spade on. No problemo.

Ron Earp

Admin
Solder or silicone a damn pigtail in the plug and wire it with a weatherpak. You've wasted about 20x as much time looking for the thing as it'd take to wire it up.

Solder or silicone a damn pigtail in the plug and wire it with a weatherpak. You've wasted about 20x as much time looking for the thing as it'd take to wire it up.

I'm in no hurry to go anywhere (not like I can yet, heh) so I'll continue to muse over how to find that darned proper pigtail connection .... at least until my engine arrives, then I may get impatient and resort to using the spade/silicone technique :D

Howard Jones

Supporter
For the life in me I can't visualize the connection you are talking about. I have a LOT of electrical engineering material and vendor information at work and I could work on this for you if I knew what I was looking for. How about a nice closeup and a drawing showing some dimensions.

Here you go Howard:

Sort of a "D"-shaped plastic female portion and the single small spade.

Attachments

• GT40Starter.jpg
    GT40Starter.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 265
I'll give them a shot, thanks.

Just to further Doc's post I circled the weatherpak connector on the starter

gtstarter.jpg

It's basically horse-shoe shaped, deep, with a single prong connector at the bottom

Ron Earp

Admin
Stick a damn female spade down in there and silicone it up.

As a wise person who used to post here told me long ago "Ron, you're not building a damn spaceship. You're building a car."

Stick a damn female spade down in there and silicone it up.

As a wise person who used to post here told me long ago "Ron, you're not building a damn spaceship. You're building a car."

My obsessive compulsive nature refuses to allow me to do that :p

You know, eventually I will find the part and post it for others here, it's just a matter of time - I just figured i'd update the thread periodically so anybody else who's hunting doesn't waste their time on dead-ends leads :)

Ron...fine by me...feel free to lock this thread until Alex finds the part/number and then he can email me with it and you can add it to close the circle... ...end of.......

Alex,

Post the part number of your denso starter and I will check here at Chapman Auto Electric. I checked the Delphi GT series and they don't make one.
Dave

Back