Ford Gt will spank a Viper

Road test at this point show the Ford GT, with 500 HP @ 6,000 RPM and 500 lbs of torque @ 4,500 RPM, will take a Viper 0-60 and 0-100. In the quarter mile, it's so close, it will more than likely come down to drivers. There is speculation the Viper may take the GT at top end. But, who is really going to go top end on the streets, unless they are a total moron.

Of course, the track is another story. However, as we all know, once we are talking about a track vehicle, as kinds of performance tweaks will happen.

The respective owners will then be faced with the age old question to the age old question.

1. How fast can I go?

2. How much do you want to spend?

Oil change companies will be most happy as the engine holds 12 quarts of oil.

Too bad Ford can't beat the estimated weight of 3,400 pounds. It is rumored, and likely, that the 2006 Z06 Corvette, which weights around 3,300 pounds, will have at least 500. Selling price for it will probably be in the low $50,000s.

Ron Earp

Admin
There is a nice Hot Rod article this month that disects the GT engine, good stuff.

All those magazine performance figures are a wash and it will ALL depend on the driver. I've seen drivers swear their car won't do better than a 12.9 and watch a good driver pull a 12.3 out of it - a huge difference and the only change was the fellow rowing the gears.

I've seen plently of drivers with a solid 13 sec car get spanked by a driver in a 14-15 sec car because the former can't drive as well as the latter.

So, I'd be careful what you decide spanks what until you're the driver! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well, I know my modified 2001 Corvette will be a stock minivan, regardless of the driver /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Be careful with that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif There is a nice story, true story that is, regarding Dan Gurney driving his stock Toyota minivan in the mountains and laying waste to locals who drive the pass for sport in performance machines. No kidding. Of course, he can't do anything with respect to power differences that large on a drag strip, but on a road course or twisy mountain road it might be a different story!

Interesting story involving a minivan...

On the way to church one day in my '68 Camaro, there pulled up along side me a minivan. I seem to recall it being a Ford Windstar actually... So, the guy driving it keeps looking over and revving it... I didn't think much of it and just left the light as normal and was surprised how fast that guy pulled out of there!

At the next light, I pulled up alongside again and asked what was going on... he said he had put a small block in it, and converted it to rear wheel drive! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I then noticed the roll cage! He said he had yet to tub the minivan, but that was the next step!

John

Ron Earp

Admin
There was a Chysler mini van, 2.2L turbo, running a 11.23 in the quarter - front wheel drive too! Appeared in numerous mags and you can find it on the net too. Two words - LOTSA BOOST!

Ron Earp

Admin
I bet the Mustang was thinking he'd be spanking a PT cruiser too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

There is a rumor on allpar.com is that there will be a Hemi V10 for the viper that might make 600 hp that will beat a ford gt. I also found another rumor of a viper coupe thats better than the convertible performance wise.

I know a guy that will spank the pants off the Viper, it's a AA fuel dragster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The GT might have a few problems if it pulls up alongside this Viper. - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Twin T3.5 turbos and 800-1000BHP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 35183-TTViper1.JPG
    35183-TTViper1.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 342

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
I guess that with the high profile, and charisma of the Ford GT, other manufacturers will be spurred on to try to better it and we will see some great cars as a result. While that might be possible performance wise, in terms of its charismatic history and timeless styling it stands alone IMHO. You may correct me, but at least thats the way I see it from this side of the pond. Talking of which pond, I see and understand your generic use of the term 'minivan'. But for your entertainment, over here there is only one Minivan, that is the van version of the Issigonis designed Mini. Here is a pic of a Jaguar straight six engined drag version called the 'Stripteaser' in action at Santa Pod in the 80's, it ran low 11's, and to make it a real crowd pleaser, the engine was strategically placed to give good long wheelies on every run. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

regards
Dave

Attachments

• 35184-stripteaserw.jpg
    35184-stripteaserw.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 335

Ron Earp

Admin
Here is one of a few minivans I was referring to. Paul's car runs a turbo 4 Chyrsler and, as you can see, is front wheel drive per the factory and isn't hacked to drag race only specs. It's a big, heavy van that is pretty quick! There are others too, including an 11s one out there.

A Quick Van

Attachments

• 35186-bryburn2.jpg
    35186-bryburn2.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 313
What is the difference what car can beat the pants off the new Ford GT. All of us that have one make or the other of the GT-40 has a design that has lasted the test of time since the 1960s. All those people out there that lust over our cars proves how lucky we are to have had a designer start his job of designing a car and have it turn out as a piece of art.
The new version that Ford is going to produce is an extension of that timeless beauty and name one other car that has lasted except the Beetle? And we all know which one is dear to our hearts. Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
PS; I love when owners of Porsches and Ferraris lust over my CAV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Personally, I think people put too much attention into magazine specs and 0.1s here or there. Bench racing.

For those, I say Get Thee to a Track, and then you'll get the true measure of how cars perform. You'll quickly find that driver skill, traction, car setup, and weather play critical roles in how well a car will perform and that those 0.3s difference and few mph in times that you read about in the magazines melts away into statistical insignificance.

I plan on owning both...Viper roadster for days I want open air motoring...and GT40 for days I feel like pretending
I'm back in the Sixties...both are plenty quick/fast for me.

MikeD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The GT might have a few problems if it pulls up alongside this Viper. - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Twin T3.5 turbos and 800-1000BHP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
One pulley change and suddenly the problem dissapears.

That 5.4 is going to love boost more than the 4.6 in the Mustang Cobra, and those things will run 11's with just a pulley, headers and a cold air intake.

A tweaked GT will have no peers. In fact, it might be the perfect car for stock body land speed records. I think the mark stands just a bit over 300mph, that should be no problem for a GT with 1,200 hp and 5.4's with 1,200 hp have been done before (drag racing).

Firstly, may I say that I agree with comments about the significance of ability and tuning, but that is not what the magazine reports are measuring. They are testing the car as it is provided by the manufacturer and in doing so making a judgment on the design, equipment, compromises (or lack of) and the position that it holds in the market place. If it can be shown that a factory Ford GT is quicker than a factory Dodge Viper, then we can say that a factory Ford GT is better than the factory Dodge Viper in that area. From there on, the “if” word is just a distraction.

With regards to the significance of the 0.3 second advantage, in competition that is an enormous advantage. A driver that can find 0.3 sec each time they accelerated down a long straight is possibly finding well over half a car length. Over a ten lap race, the advantage to that individual driver would be many car lengths, regardless of their relative abilities.

PS. My GT40 is much quicker than a top-fuel dragster around a race circuit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Agreed. But my point is with the acceleration figures in a straight line. The launch, driver, surface, track, and weather etc. makes a huge difference and 0.3s can disappear in no time flat. I agree with what you say about the road circuit, but for 1/4 mile times, which was the initial discussion, the times are mote.

If I have a choice, I'd choose a car that can get around a corner quickly over a car that can go straight quickly. I've alway found on-ramps more fun than highways. If you do it right, you'll have to slow down before you merge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back