Ford GT40 MKII restoration photos

Thanks for posting the article and the Flickr shots. I have one of the 1/12 Trumpete kits and I am currently think of building it as 1015. (Other aftermarket decal options ar #3 and #5.) Fortunately the door bulge is a seperate part and a sheet plastic patch and puddy can make the door correct for 1015.

It was interesting to note in the August 1966 photos, that this H-M car had the raw fibreglass side of the rear bodywork painted gray.

Also, I see in 1966 era photos that these cars had 4 or 6 point belts. Is there better information as to the seat belts system in use in 1966.

It has been mentioned that as a result of working off of the 1047 restoration, there are some MkIIB features in the kit, the roll cage is the one you can't miss and easy to disregard. Other than body work alterations, what were the more subtle differences between a MKII and MKIIB? I would like to correct anything visible to 1966 spec.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks. I'm Ken Schabow, the photographer who is taking these pictures. (I google my name every once in a while, tonight I decided to google my Flickr set link).

One of the guys asked me to take detailed shots of the brake ducts, so... there ya go.

Can't tell you where the car is, yes it is in Detroit area and yes it is worked on by Ford engineers, including me. It's pretty f'ing awesome to work on such a car, I gotta tell you.

By the way... I just added some new pictures to the set. The engine is getting close to being put in. Enjoy!

Ken
Great shots Ken, thanks.

Thanks for posting the article and the Flickr shots. I have one of the 1/12 Trumpete kits and I am currently think of building it as 1015. (Other aftermarket decal options ar #3 and #5.) Fortunately the door bulge is a seperate part and a sheet plastic patch and puddy can make the door correct for 1015.

It was interesting to note in the August 1966 photos, that this H-M car had the raw fibreglass side of the rear bodywork painted gray.

Also, I see in 1966 era photos that these cars had 4 or 6 point belts. Is there better information as to the seat belts system in use in 1966.

It has been mentioned that as a result of working off of the 1047 restoration, there are some MkIIB features in the kit, the roll cage is the one you can't miss and easy to disregard. Other than body work alterations, what were the more subtle differences between a MKII and MKIIB? I would like to correct anything visible to 1966 spec.

Forgive me if what I tell you you already know I am just trying to be helpful.
I am not an expert but the MKIIB would of course have two Holleys. The MKIIA one Holley. I cannot remember if the MKIIB's tried the same clear plastic box around them like the MKIV?
I would think that since the MKIIB's had wider bodywork to accommodate wider wheels 8 x 15 fronts 12 x 15 rears. You would need wider Halibrands. The MKIIA ad narrower wheels Rears 91/2 x 15. Also the hole in the rear deck on the drivers side (I am not sure what its for). But It only appears on the MKIIB. Of course the dashboard would need complete rehash. It is similar to the MKIV's on a MKIIB . A MKIIA would be similar to the GT40 dashboard with Stuart Warner instrumentation (Smiths???). From what I have read the instructions in the Trumpter kit (I think the pictures as well) were from a Superperformance left hand drive Shelby limited edition!!!! There is a complete after market kit with lots of photoetched parts But I think it costs more than the kit.
Regards Allan

P1016 shown earlier in the thread from Ian Andersons photos has the wider MKIIB bodywork. Whether its been modified to look like a MKIIA (for its 40th aniversary in 2006) The link is already on this thread. I do not know if Ian has anymore photos but the car does have two holleys a MKIIB rear clip and dashboard (similar to the MKIV) and the passengers door would have the roof cutoff filled in. The front is a MKIIA. There were no jacks on the front and the front was opened up for the repositioned radiator there is a bar across the radiator perhaps this is used to jack the car up. I know the Ford France car had a lip spoiler fitter at the bottom of the front bodywork. http://www.gt40s.com/forum/all-gt40/15843-can-someone-explain-diff-between-mk-iia-iib.html
There were only three MKIIB's at the 1967 Le Mans two Holman and Moody/Ford France (number 6) numbers 5 and 6 and one Shelby number 57. I do have a picture of P1047 the Reims winner. It was number 57 at Le Mans in the same Light Blue and White stripes trim. I have pictures in a French magazine showing the car with all its bodywork off in Reims winning trim. Unfortunately I cannot scan the mag as I have no scanner. Try this link of P1031/1047 http://www.racingicons.com/gt/1031_1047.htm
And this of the Nevada Shelby American Club http://www.nvsaac.com/gallery/gt40_main.htm go to the 1967 GT40 Gallery and look at the photo of number 6 (24th picture down in the right hand column) This is the Ford France/Holman and Moody MKIIB see how the front is modified and how the back flares out for the wider wheels!!
I hope this helps.
Regards Allan

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Allan -- thanks much. Just what I was looking for. Here's the NVSAAC picture for anyone else interested.

67lm06z%20Schlesser-Ligier%20Ford%20MkIIb.jpg

Louis

Supporter
Hello,

I have a question regarding the two rectangular boxes at the back of the MKII in picture IMG_7579 from the link in the first post.

What are they for? I'm building a RCR MKII and it came with the boxes. I'm in the very beginning stages of the build and read several books but none tell me the technical details of the car.

Really appreciate it and any links to technical info on the MKII is always helpful.

Louis

Back