Attachments

• IMG_2683 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2683 (Small).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,206

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Frank

It's looking very good

Perhaps (depending on space) ou could fit a dead pedal or bracing support for your clutch foot.

Ian

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Frank, with my big feet (13) I would have to do that too.:eek: One thing I think you could add though, is to weld in some 2 - 3mm thick plate either side of the vertical box sections. This would put back some of the rigidity and strength lost in that top section. If I see the modified picture correctly, the top piece that carries the suspension load tapers down, so all the loads are now concentrated on one edge of the main chassis member. So additional plates to spread the loads would be a good feature to have. Is there a reason why you didn't leave a full box section there? (edit - oops daft question its because of the smaller section above, you have used a solid piece because of that)

Great work on your car, you are doing the right things to make sure it will be a great pleasure to drive.rockonsmile

Dave

Attachments

• webs.jpg
    webs.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,043
Last edited:

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Hi Frank, yes I see what you mean. The problem with what you have is that the loads acting on the suspension mount will be mainly carried by the small square tubes at the top. Somehow a way needs to be found to carry them down into the main part of the chassis.

I think that the solid piece needs to be replaced with a piece of box section. This probably means that first you have to reverse the bolt on the top suspension arm and put the captive nut on the other side.
The replacement box section can then go down to the top face of the main chassis member.

See if you can do something like this. Sorry for making it difficult for you but I really think this is necessary.boomsmile

Dave

Attachments

• Assem.jpg
    Assem.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,039
  • Assem1.jpg
    Assem1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,046
dave i'm glad if someone think's with me betternow than when it's to late
but i've thought of that also but it can't because the bolt won't fit on the other side there's another beam in the way
and i can't place a full box also becaus the springs will touch it then

frank

started with cardboard making a mould for the panneling

Attachments

• IMG_2685 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2685 (Small).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,069
  • IMG_2686 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2686 (Small).jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,058

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Frank,
the panelling will help a little too, looking at the picture I think that there might just be room to put in a triangular web with the bottom edge spanning the main chassis member without encroaching on the spring space, I would regard this as a minimum to avoid problems in this area. I'll stop hassling you on this now, you're moving forward quickly , keep up the good work and keep these good ideas coming.:)

Dave

hi frank i have been working hard today as well

Attachments

• P5190050.jpg
    P5190050.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 1,058
  • P5190051.jpg
    P5190051.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 1,095
  • P5190052.jpg
    P5190052.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 1,036

Chris Duncan

Supporter
made more space for my feet removed the upright pole

Scary. That's the load point for the entire front end. Albeit GT40's are light in front. Dynamic inertia increases loads well past static weight.

Have you thought about a piece of rectangular tube? Like 1-1/2"x3/4" or 1"x2". Combined with some tight fitting race boots. (there was a thread on those). For more foot clearance.

Maybe move the clutch pedal just a bit. My pedal box took a lot longer than I thought it would, these things are hella crowded.

IMHO of course...

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Frank,

All that member is transferring is mainly vertical loads.

I would just run a piece of 2 or 3mm flat down the edge of the remnants of the box and continue it down to overlap the main chassis member. No significant space penalty and should be plenty strong enough. That tube looks as though it has ample wall thickness so it should be OK but any gussets you can get in anywhere won't do any harm.

Cheers

Frank
As I was reading your posts and looking at photos I was thinking exactly in your final direction, and Russ seconded that for me. I also had an afterthought about moving your upper shock mount out, providing you had room inside the wishbone, and using a full size tube in the vertical plane. I think you have solved your problem so no need to throw fuel on the fire. Nice work...keep it up.
Cheers
Phil

finaly got my sump from armando it has taken me 6 months but if i look at it it's forgotton (almost then)

Attachments

• IMG_2688 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2688 (Small).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 834
Back