Fresh air F1 style.

Having looked at the 'long distance driving' comments it is apparent that the GT40 cabin gets rather hot and uncomfortable.Has anyone considered fitting a 'roof scoop' to force fresh air in right where it's needed.The sort of thing I mean is that thing you see on the roof of the McClaren F1 (though I think on the F1 it takes the air to the engine bay).I'm sure such a fitment could be made to look quite original.Anyone 'been there - done it"?

Arthur. I have air condioning with a three speed fan and I find this to be perfect and you probably know how hot it can be in Aus. Can't see the need for a roof scoop. regards

You might consider sucking the air out!
There is plenty of high speed, low pressure air around the cabin and the roof.
Perhaps an adaption of those slots running across the bulkhead roof panel some of the '40s had?

Rob

wink.gif

G

If your cabin is hot try to find out where the hot air is coming in. It is critical to fully seal all the entry holes into the cabin area such as making sure gromets exist around the steering column shaft etc. Check that all the pipes through the tunnel are fully sealed on the radiator side of the cabin.If not you can use expansive foam in conjunction with something like Sikaflex.
In addition you could instal window vents. There are two common types either aircraft snapvents ( ex Bell 47s or similar ) or hinged rear vents. The aircraft vents can either extract or bring in cool air. Whereas the hinged version basically only extracts.
I have had horizontal sliding vents and replaced them with snap vents which work very well.Alternatively you can catch fresh air from the NACA bonnet vents by cutting them out and ducting air through the front wall.
In my car I bring fresh air in from one of the front air holes alongside the front light and it is ducted into the cabin and enters about 100mm above the cetral console where it cant be seen.I have a switch on the dash to activate it.
Let me know what you do .......Stephen

Good comments.I was looking at the idea of a roof scoop as a very poor substitute for air-con!(with it's associated costs and weight).Also,it's surprising how good an idea seems to be at 3AM after a long hard day :).My other consideration was the fitment of those spinning air extractor things that you see on top of vehicles carrying fresh meat - or police vans with dogs in the back.It was at this point I realised I realy should get some sleep.Thanks again - Arthur
shocked.gif

Would it be correct to say that, because of the location of the front nostrils, it would be difficult to collect totally cool air from anywhere rear of the radiator?

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Arthur,

The original race cars used snap vents from aircraft. These can be seen on many cars in various books and are circular. They are similar to the naca ducts that are used in todays race cars but the snap vents can be twisted round to act as input or output devices. They are very very efficient and I use them all the time in my cars and usually dont even switch on my A/C.

I can supply them but an aircraft yard will supply them also.

Good luck,

Robert

Robert Logan

Arthur,

As a after thought, the roof vents are used for induction air on the F1 but similar roof vents can be seen on most rally cars and this does supply both the driver nd navigator with freshers.

Please dont bastardise the shape with the addition of a roof vent, I for one would never forgive !!!!

Best wishes,

Robert

My MK-IV has a row of small vents in the roof facing to the rear to extract air from the cockpit. My Ferrari P4 also has small rear facing vents.(P3's don't have these vents) These vents seem to help.

Thanks again! It would seem that the general concensus is to concentrate on sucking the air out (via vortex vacuum) rather than forcing air in.And Robert,don't worry!It would appear that I can achieve vacuum without spoiling the delicious profile :)(Although Ford nearly manged it by fitting those awful 'Helmet Blisters'!)Now there's a thought.
blush.gif

Arthur,
I built in the cockpit ventilators in the side windows.This is the cheapest way to get air inside.It only needs a 3 1/4 inch hole and are securely held in a chosen position.
They claim upto 200mph...
Price is 18.00 UKP for pair plus postage.
ctc NF auto Development/00441580 891309 or www.nfauto.co.uk.
It helps without A/C...
fred

Robert Logan

Arthur,

The snap vents that Fred shows in his last utterance are the same as we use. Again try the aircraft companies

Best wishes,

Robert

Ron Earp

Admin
Here are some:

Wicks Aircraft Supply

I ordered some of the 2" and 3.25" to see which ones I liked. They are inexpensive - $6 a pair! - and from riding in the RF car with them can provide plently of air for 75 degree days. The 95+ degree days common where I live in the summer though are still going to need AC!

R

[ April 10, 2002: Message edited by: Ron Earp - Administrator ]

Snap vents it is then!Plus perhaps a little bit of discreet vacuum venting.Many thanks for all your advice.Just a secodary thought though - is it not possible to fit a simplified wind down widow? Having looked at the guts of one they look very straightforward.

You can split the window 2/3-1/3 and retract the lower1/3 into the door. You can even make this electric. I did this on my Lola. This is a lot of work and certinaly isn't original. It is more of a hot rod solution.

Thank you MK IV J6.Good idea.I am giving this subject a lot of attention as I intend to use my Mk 111 (replica) for its given purpose - i.e.Road Car! It will not quite be my 'daily transport' but pretty close to it.

G

Whilst the sun causes a lot of the heat build up in our cars through that low angled wind screen we use, you may find hot air from the engine bay comes down the side panels around the fule tank and up through the gear shift hole. A gaiter here really made a difference to my car. Also sealing up the front bulkhead does a lot of good too. Let as much air out from behind the radiator either through the wheel arches or through a single nostril panel so that the air pressure doesn't build up under the front clip.

The helicopter vents are very effective and I really only use those for window ventilation over the square mini windows.

Malcolm
Malcolm

Back