Front steering fouling

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Since having my steering rack changed earlier this year, I have just had my GTD40 MOT'd and it has failed because, and I quote "Nearside front (fouling anti roll bar drop link) track rod end seriously misaligned."

Same for Offside.

I have never had this problem before, so can only assume it is something to do with the new steering rack. It is possible that it may have longer travel than the original, but I cant be sure.

Is this a common problem?
Are there easy fixes such as kinked droplinks, small track rod end, etc.
Is this a "design feature" of the GTD front suspension, as I notice that the drop link is rubber mounted top and bottom?

Any ideas, folks, because with no MOT, I cant use the car :(.

I am, obviously, having discussions with the company that fitted the new rack, but any help would be appreciated.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
How about reducing the rack travel? The rack used on the Superformance has nylon machined spacers that limit the lock to lock travel i.e. the inner tie rod is stopped before its' natural maximum travel. We often remove these dependent upon the tire used to increase turn radius. These are inside the rack gaiter and therefor are not visible so i assume the MOT buffins would not find them. The SPF spacers are donuts with a slot in the periphery for a tie wrap to retain them and are cut in half (across the pie) for installation.

Hi Richard,
Rick's answer's spot on and it's exactly the same method I used to limit the rack travel on my Tornado, which uses a Cortina IV rack and had too much travel for the new application. Check the old rack as they should be inside the gaiters
Rgds,
Andy

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Are the collars available off the shelf, or do I need to get some machined?

I do not have the old rack, but know they weren't any collars on it.

Last edited:

Malcolm

Supporter
I think the MOT rules tightened up in this area as another chap with a GTD failed on this reason too. On that car some collars were fitted to reduce the travel of the rack. The cheap way of doing this is with a pair of jubilee clips each side.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Thanks Malcolm. That might be enough to get me an mot. Then I can drive it to the garage for the collars.

The drop links were a design feature of the Ford Granada suspension used on your car, Fords deliberately used them as a steering limiter, that's why they have the plastic sleeve over them. Two simple solutions for your MOT used by others. One is to simply remove the bar and drop links for the test, or manufacture different drop links that don't foul on lock. Putting plastic limiters onto the rack itself works, but is a awkward job and limits the turning circle.

You dont have to pull the rack apart ,I made washers out of delrin then cut them so they look like a C.
You pull the boot back and snap them in.

Jim

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Thanks guys. Jubilee clips got me the MOT. Now need something better as a long term solution.
Is there anything off the shelf?

Richard...Take a look in any industrial/power transmission catalog...Mc master will have what you want. Split shaft collars...available in stainless or carbon and also aluminum and nylon..measure your rack shaft diameter and order a collar that size..they are available in metric and english standard sizes, and if you have a weird size can be machined a bit. They can be installed without removing the inner tie rod mount.
Good Luck
Phil

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Richard...Take a look in any industrial/power transmission catalog...Mc master will have what you want. Split shaft collars...available in stainless or carbon and also aluminum and nylon..measure your rack shaft diameter and order a collar that size..they are available in metric and english standard sizes, and if you have a weird size can be machined a bit. They can be installed without removing the inner tie rod mount.
Good Luck
Phil

X2. My 911 gave me the same problems, so I used McMaster-Carr split shaft collars to limit the travel (caused the wheels to rub the lower control arm at full extension. Pulled the boots back, installed the collars, trial and error on exact position, slide boot back into position, and done.

Back