Fuel pump issue

Good morning, I’m running an external fuel pump and noticed that with fuel in the tank And the car sitting idle the pump is very hot.

I'm using the RCR supplied fuel system that was shipped with the kit.

Any insight to the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Tanner

Attachments

• 81D64D74-7236-454C-922C-A900AD5B2015.jpeg
    81D64D74-7236-454C-922C-A900AD5B2015.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 287
Mark. I didn’t use the RCR solution, but does it use two pumps? One to fill the pot and the other to supply the engine? On my system I have two pumps and purchased a pump regulator so the pumps only worked at 100% when needed (controls heat). I also added a return line in case the lift pump was working faster than the primary pump. I’ve read that not enough voltage can cause an overheat.

Again, not familiar with your system, so just a thought.

If it’s the standard RCR setup it uses a Walbro low pressure pump to feed the swirl pot and a Bosch 044 high pressure pump to feed the rails. That photo shows the Bosch pump.

Dan ,
Did you use the aeromotive 16306 electric fuel pump controller? does it work like a relay but uses the LS3 ECM signal to activate? do you mind sharing the wiring details? I have the same set up as mark like Cam mentioned, Walbro low pressure pump and Bosch high pressure pump. I do not think the infinity box system has the right gauge wires to power the pumps, I plan to run at least 12 gauge wire to them, I was thinking two separate relays activated by the ECM but sounds like the Aeromotive controller is the ideal setup. I hope this helps Mark as well.

Dans post #188 shows how he wired the high pressure pump with the aeromotive controller, however I am still not 100% sure of all the connections, and how he wired the low pressure pump .

Steven Lobel

Supporter
I have the Superlite complete fuel system for the GT-R. The PDF is a diagram of all components and I added my wiring from the GMPP. I have a separate relay and a switch in the dash for the lift pump.

Attachments

• Fuel system .pdf
    74.4 KB · Views: 251
Thanks Steven,
I knew the electrical stuff was going to stump me a bunch of times. Where do you get the relay and how do you know what kind to use? ( I have the same pumps as you do ) do you know where I could find a round knob on and off switch so it blends will all the others. Is the GMPP the engine ECU? Will using the automotive 16306 controller for the high pressure pump help with the heating issue Mark is having?

Steven Lobel

Supporter
Thanks Steven,
I knew the electrical stuff was going to stump me a bunch of times. Where do you get the relay and how do you know what kind to use? ( I have the same pumps as you do ) do you know where I could find a round knob on and off switch so it blends will all the others. Is the GMPP the engine ECU? Will using the automotive 16306 controller for the high pressure pump help with the heating issue Mark is having?

The relay is a standard relay, I had a few lying around my garage. I just use Amazon for knobs and stuff. The GMPP is the compute that comes with the engine. It has a thick gauge wire for the main fuel pump from the GM fuse box.

So you have to turn on the low pressure fuel pump every time you start the car? and the Engine GMPP turns on the high pressure pump automatically when you start the car? do you think using the Automotive 16306 controller for the high pressure pump is overkill? Thanks

Steven Lobel

Supporter
So you have to turn on the low pressure fuel pump every time you start the car? and the Engine GMPP turns on the high pressure pump automatically when you start the car? do you think using the Automotive 16306 controller for the high pressure pump is overkill? Thanks

I keep the low pressure pump on. I only flip the switch if the acc position is on and the motor is not running so I do not have to hear the pump running. When building the car and testing things out, I am in the accessory position a lot. Can take switch out in future and just keep it on the accessory wire.

I keep the low pressure pump on. I only flip the switch if the acc position is on and the motor is not running so I do not have to hear the pump running. When building the car and testing things out, I am in the accessory position a lot. Can take switch out in future and just keep it on the accessory wire.
thanks that makes perfect sense!! those pumps are loud I hear, I have not started them yet, can't wait to hear this baby running. Hopefully without blowing anything up. LOL !!!

Back