G50/03 Side Cover - Need Stud Sizes

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I purchased a Patrick Motorsports side cover from Doc Kahler here and realized when we went to install that the studs I have are not long enough.

When I go to use a thread die on the stud to see what size it is, I find that an 8mm x 1.25 is too small and a 9mm x 1.25 is too big. It's almost like it's supposed to be a 8.5mm x 1.25 .... Is this possible?

The studs I have measure 2.030" in length and I need at least .100" longer.

Any ideas on how to figure out the size or where to find these studs?

I can always call Patrick Motorsports - but was looking for options..

Thanks fellas...

The size is 8 x 1.25. Your die isn't meant to be a gauge, so yes ... it will remove material from your stud.

The only option to longer studs is counterboring each hole of the side cover (which probably should have been done by the manufacturer).

Hi Randy
I have 3 Different G50 boxes that Im playing with at present and all are 8mm x 1.25 pitch. The billet side plates that are around are all independent manufactures and do vary in thickness, so longer studs are required
Have fun

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The size is 8 x 1.25. Your die isn't meant to be a gauge, so yes ... it will remove material from your stud.

I realize that the die is not meant to be a gauge - but it works well (much like a Drill Gauge for drill bit sizing) on everything else in SAE threads and I've not had a problem before sizing Metrics this way.
Thinking that it may just be my tools - I have three different Tap/Die sets, Snap-On / MAC / Craftsman ... All three seemed to be identical in relationship to this stud.

The only thing I can think of is that the studs are 8mm and they (the one that I pulled to size) were made on the large side of the tolerance.. I am presuming that they are original Porsche studs.

I'll go with the majority consensus here that they are 8mm x 1.25 and place my order...

I'll also cave in and purchase a metric caliper..

Thanks guys..

Back