Gibbo's TS40, formaly of the home of the originals

Its been a while, new addition to the the family, moved house (bigger garage!!!!!!!!) and quite i bit of progress.

Panelling complete that can be completed without hindering other tasks. Front suspension fitted, the light weight setup from Tornado. Rear suspension fitted awaiting fine tuning alignment this weekend over many cups of tea.

Parts have been bought for engine plumbing with a Davies Craig EWP in mind, water pump gasket passed to an old school friend who machines ally for aircraft industry.

Engine nearly complete, sump and oil pump drive arrive Monday (fingers crossed).

Many cups of tea looking at steering racks, what modifications would be needed to stock items and finally deciding on buying the tornado one as the wife didn't like the idea of me messing with something that's quite important....

Pedal box has been decided on just need to measure up to ensure it fits but i have other questions about brakes which i will post appropiately.

all that remains is to support the forum and post some piccies

Attachments

• My Car 011.jpg
    My Car 011.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 2,234
Windage tray fitted to the motor

A pretty picture of the tray fitted to the '87 mustang lump, can't wait to see if my first ever disassembly and reassembly of an engine works!!!!

Attachments

• My Car 020.jpg
    My Car 020.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 2,199
With the right Engine mounts, the motor fits!!!!!!!

Early Mustang mounts come in 2 sizes Tall and short. I needed the short. Picture quality iffy, it was taken in made rush with a phone before something went wrong. this moment rekindled the build for me, panelling was getting a little boring.......but the late purchase of a air powered/hydraulic rivet gun made it a lot more fun, anybody out there about to start panelling, get one now!!!!! i used a lazy tong before and that was getting hard work and the plier type hurts. the new one not only makes a cool sound but can also reach the parts that the others couldn't reach

Attachments

• My Car 022.jpg
    My Car 022.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 2,080
Pedal box is mounted, decided on .7 for brakes and .75 for clutch. Servos are next to be mounted and then the plumbing begins. meanwhile.....

Attachments

• Pedal Box 007.jpg
    Pedal Box 007.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 2,126
  • Pedal Box 008.jpg
    Pedal Box 008.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 1,693
Front Calipers have been sourced and fitted, standard Granada mkII.

Attachments

• Brakes 001.jpg
    Brakes 001.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,901
Been on a little shopping spree, 2 servos, a bag of brake fittings, steering rack and rod ends. i thought about setting initial geometry of the christmas break but can't seem to tighten the upper ball joints onto the uprights, the threaded spindle turns. don't really want to force it as it will have to come off again for final weight camber angles.

Any ideas, i would like to think that i have a couple of duff cheap Delphi parts. i have tried a little compression in a vice but didn't help.

Attachments

• Brakes 002 (Medium).jpg
    Brakes 002 (Medium).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,558
Ant,

Looking good.

May i just suggest that you put some heat insulation between your water pipes and steering rack, and that you rotate your servos anti clockwise so that the valve units are upright.

Graham @ GTA

Back in the day I was told by Andy Bennett, at GTD, these should be mounted with the back slightly lower than the front and with the valve assemblies rotated 45 degrees. Don't know why or whats right. Mine have been valves straight up and at a slight angle with the front just a tad higher than the back. No problems in ten years. Anyone have any ideas as to the whys of the recommendations? The insulation is a great idea for the life of the rack and the temp in the car footbox! Kunifer is a special alloy the Brits use for brake lines - it doesn't rust or corrode and looks like dull copper.

Blimey people read it!!!!

Well, Petek, as 40bud says the lines are Kunifer or cupro nickel, 90%copper, 10% nickel. so far i have found that it is also a little less prone to kinking while hand bending.

91740Gt, heat insulation was always in the plan. As for the servos, rotation angle is as prescribed in the instructions as for the laid back angle, there is a slight fall on the cylinder. I did hum and har at the angle but looked at other build sites at servos at none i could see were angled much. Also as i don't have the body i couldn't test for clearance with it installed at an angle, but hey it will either work or not, no great problem to move in the future and it gave me something to do, i get fed up going in the garage and seeing a pile of bits that i can't do anything with.

Well its been a while, here's an update. Brakes all plumbed in, handbrake fitted and working. Gearbox sourced from Dave Morton, thanks very much. Bellhousing from Andy at Tornado, all fitted together for a trial fit before i source the clutch and fit it all for good... Throttle cable is run as well. Bought a new toy for the garage too, a mini lathe. used it for a couple of jobs, mainly on the collapsable steering boss for the electric PAS column thats now the next big job. So here a couple of pictures for those that are following the thread.

Attachments

• New Toy01.jpg
    New Toy01.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,212
  • On the Floor01.jpg
    On the Floor01.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,269
  • On the floor02.jpg
    On the floor02.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,241
  • Engine and Gearbox01.jpg
    Engine and Gearbox01.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,306
  • Wheel Trial 001 (Small).jpg
    Wheel Trial 001 (Small).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,185
Big day tomorrow, pick up the body work and dash from Andy at Tornado. The van is booked, the work has been sloped to others to free up the day, the straps have yet to be found in the garage but i do know where the blankets are.:pepper:

Nice work so far, Ant.

What's the swing on the lathe, and what sort of price?

Richard, its a 7x12 mini lathe
the ebay shop always has some Mini Lathe with Digital Readout on eBay Lathes, Metalworking Milling Welding, Business, Office Industrial (item 190133478150 end time 29-Jul-07 16:31:27 BST)

used it so far for lots of spacers, running holes through bolts (for mounting indicators on a locost), gas pedal mount, steering boss conversion (corsa C to Mountney with a quick release hub) and it will make the boss cover and machineing the gearchange, including the knob if i can make a radius tool. now i have one i want more. trying to persuade my kitcar making friends to get a mill so we have a full complement!!

this link is to what i have,

Body work has arrived home in the rain so lack of photos. First things first is fit the dash and make sure there is enough room for me and the Corsa steering column.

ANT:pepper:

Thanks, Ant

Looks like a usefully sized unit. A mill would be unbelievably useful too!

Looking forward to the bodywork pics when you get the chance.

Re: With the right Engine mounts, the motor fits!!!!!!!

Early Mustang mounts come in 2 sizes Tall and short. I needed the short. Picture quality iffy, it was taken in made rush with a phone before something went wrong. this moment rekindled the build for me, panelling was getting a little boring.......but the late purchase of a air powered/hydraulic rivet gun made it a lot more fun, anybody out there about to start panelling, get one now!!!!! i used a lazy tong before and that was getting hard work and the plier type hurts. the new one not only makes a cool sound but can also reach the parts that the others couldn't reach

What mounts did you end up using?
I have just come across the same problem. I bought a pair of Lakewood Muscle Motor Mounts p/n LAK-24094 from summit but they don't fit!

Back