good tire choice?

I much prefer the look of 15" wheels on a 40 and the Avon CR6ZZ sounds like a great tire but I wish they came in more sizes. I suppose I could live with 17" wheels but only if they were black so the size wouldn't be so noticeable.

Anyhoo, the new Kumhos just won a comparison test in Grassroots Motorsports against similar tires which are intended for the Street Tire Classes in autoxing. Two of the available sizes are 245/40-17 & 335/35-17. The rears might require fender flares but I'm not sure about the fronts. The diameter and width each seem ok individually but I'm not sure about the combination of a 24.7" OD and 9.8" section width.

Here's the link.
Tire Specs for Kumho Ecsta XS

It seems like these tires would be well suited to both street and track use. Any opinions?

Look at Michelin Pilot Sport 17 ' on 8 and 10,5 wheels (vintage wheels in US)

Front: 235 40 17
Rear: 285 40 17 (you could try larger but not sure if it fits standard rear body)

Great looking as car is close to ground,fits in standard GTD body front and rear but compound a bit hard for track purpose.

Rgds
Fred

Howard Jones

Supporter
Chris, I have 245.40.17's on the front of my car. It did take a little trimming around the fiberglass lip of the forward edge of the slill cover. But They fit fine now and without interference. By the way 245.45.17 will not fit my car no matter what I do so you can see that 245.40's are a near thing.

The 345's on the rear are too wide for a 10.5 " wheel. I have been able to achieve a very nice balance with with a 315. Huge tires on the rear look cool but they are difficult to make work on a suspension that is designed for street suspension travel . The camber gain (neg) will negate the added width unless you reduce the camber gain with geometry fixes or really run stiff springs. Go with the 315's. they fit a 10.5" wheel perfect.

Also no drama with body fit either.

Chris,
There is a spreadsheet on the forum with all the available 15" tires and who is running them. Be careful which tires you choose. The diameters and width of the similar marked tires are as different as night and day. I am running the Nitto tires and the 325s on the 10" rims have a tall diameter and won't fit under the normal flares(read mine). My car came with 295 Michelins and they fit nicely. I am adding flares to my car to accommodate the wider tires(13") and taller as well. As I remember it they are 27" tall. Didn't know they wouldn' fit till I took it off the stand. I wanted wider flares anway so it all worked out.

Picture065.jpg

Bill

Back