Goodwood Members Meeting

Have to ask this chassis list couple of things:

#17 1965 Ford GT40 Wright
#21 1966 Ford GT40 Devis

Is there anything about these two, which chassis these were?

Firstly do not take too much notice of the dates in any race listings, they are based on the information supplied by the entrant &/or what happens to be entered on the cars historic racing log book.
They mean ' to 1965 specification ' rather than, 'this car was built in 1965' for instance.

#17 I'm not familiar with, but I could partially read the chassis plate plate, which was obscured by a roll cage.
It's a non Ford, non JWA, plate stamped in alloy.
It ends ??? R07A192002

#21 Is GT40P /1109, one of the left over Mk3 chassis's that were sold & built up after production had ended. So it is an original Ford Advanced Vehicles / JWA chassis built in period, but not made into a car until the 1970's.
(note the unusual bulges in the body by the headlamps, I wonder if they provide clearance for some Mk3 chassis features?)
(also note the 1973-1974 UK registration number, which I believe is genuine, unlike some of the registration plates displayed on other GT40 race cars)

Regards Steve

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
#17 I'm not familiar with, but I could partially read the chassis plate plate, which was obscured by a roll cage.
It's a non Ford, non JWA, plate stamped in alloy.
It ends ??? R07A192002

It is a VIN plate from a Mustang Coupe, San Jose plant with a 289 4V. Safir installed some VIN plates on MK Vs from wrecked Mustangs to allow the car to take over the identity of the donor car. They marked the chassis invoice as "19XX Mustang rebuilt and rebodied to GT40 specification". P1116 was imported this way. While that car may not be a Safir the plate is being used to circumvent customs/taxes/registration or some other questionable act.

I still have my hand written notes from the day, I wrote-

"GT40P 2273, #25, Grey, Superformance chassis plate, modern plastic interior rear view mirror."

I believe this is correct but I'm not perfect ! (especially when over stimulated by so many beautiful cars)

Regards Steve

Last edited:
It is a VIN plate from a Mustang Coupe, San Jose plant with a 289 4V. Safir installed some VIN plates on MK Vs from wrecked Mustangs to allow the car to take over the identity of the donor car. They marked the chassis invoice as "19XX Mustang rebuilt and rebodied to GT40 specification". P1116 was imported this way. While that car may not be a Safir the plate is being used to circumvent customs/taxes/registration or some other questionable act.

Well done Rick !

That number looks kind of familiar now.
(My good lady used to have a 1966 San Jose Coupe with the 2v 289 !)

Thanks Steve

P/2273 was reported earlier as #55 driven by Ward. Can you clarify this point ?
Du you know the id for #1 driven by Bryant ?

Car #55 (which I do not think is P2273)
I can tell you some details though, #55 was entered by JD Classics on behalf of the owner John Young.
Driven by John (who also drives for JD Classics, as well as his own cars) & Chris Ward (who works for & drives for JD Classics)(keep up!)

John has previously raced GT40P/1127 at Goodwood although this car was listed for sale a few months ago.
I don't know if it was sold, could #55 of been GT40P/1127 again ? Does anyone else know?

Sorry I haven't any details to hand for car #1

Regards Steve

Hello again Rick,

I just had a search and found this car (#17 at the 2016 GW Members Meeting) advertised for sale in October 2015.

It's described as a Gelscoe car & the price was listed.
£275,000 with FIA papers & spares.

Regards Steve

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hello again Rick,

I just had a search and found this car (#17 at the 2016 GW Members Meeting) advertised for sale in October 2015.

It's described as a Gelscoe car & the price was listed.
£275,000 with FIA papers & spares.

Regards Steve

Maybe so, but I will wager the Mustang VIN plate was used to someone's advantage.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_3q5fTI4sWU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks a lot !! Your GT40 knowledge is very impressive.
Yes looks like P/1127 when compared to pics taken at the Whitsun trophy Goodwood Revival 2013.

I can tell you some details though, #55 was entered by JD Classics on behalf of the owner John Young.
Driven by John (who also drives for JD Classics, as well as his own cars) & Chris Ward (who works for & drives for JD Classics)(keep up!)

John has previously raced GT40P/1127 at Goodwood although this car was listed for sale a few months ago.
I don't know if it was sold, could #55 of been GT40P/1127 again ? Does anyone else know?

Regards Steve

Finally got something ready. Hope you like.
More to come of course....I will add links when ready....

74th Goodwood Members Meeting 19-20.3.2016

GT40_186%20(1%20of%201).jpg

Regards Steve

UPDATE

Hi,
I was told on Sunday that #55 was not GT40P/1127, but yet another one.
(I don't know which one!)
It was the first event for this particular car since a rebuild & the retirement was, as already reported, due to a gear selection issue.
Regards Steve

Dave Collins

Supporter
Steve you were right on the P2273 I checked my pictures again and that was on #25 and not #55 as you suggested above. Apologies for the initial typo.

Dave

Back