Got a chance to see Hyder's SLC and his other little project

Last Thursday i got a chance to swing by and see Hyder's black SL-C, he's integrating an Audi R8 V8 and transaxle along with the matching dash pod. Unfortunately the power plant is off getting it's stand alone engine management system built but i do get to see the custom engine bay rails that Fran built into the kit and more importantly got to sit in the chassis. Obviously gobs of room for the legs but it looks like i'll need to do the sunken floor plan.

Currently the SL-C is a project waiting for pole position behind a frame off Lotus Esprit build, bit of a power plant change there...somehow, however improbable it may seem Hyder has managed to stuff a BMW V12 into it, and while most if not all of us would have stopped there; a couple of turbos have been added to make sure that there is no issue with merging on the freeway (or orbit ;-):shocked::heart:

Attached are a couple of photos of the Esprit and then my feet in the footwell of the SLC and yes i am wearing socks with sandals:it's the Seattle area people :lipsrsealed:

If anyone else in the area has a build going I'd love to see it and if timing allows help out for a day or two.

Cheers,

David

Attachments

• DSC03578.JPG
    DSC03578.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 677
  • DSC03577.JPG
    DSC03577.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 691
  • DSC03582.JPG
    DSC03582.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 553

Hyder

Supporter
Last Thursday i got a chance to swing by and see Hyder's black SL-C, he's integrating an Audi R8 V8 and transaxle along with the matching dash pod. Unfortunately the power plant is off getting it's stand alone engine management system built but i do get to see the custom engine bay rails that Fran built into the kit and more importantly got to sit in the chassis. Obviously gobs of room for the legs but it looks like i'll need to do the sunken floor plan.

Currently the SL-C is a project waiting for pole position behind a frame off Lotus Esprit build, bit of a power plant change there...somehow, however improbable it may seem Hyder has managed to stuff a BMW V12 into it, and while most if not all of us would have stopped there; a couple of turbos have been added to make sure that there is no issue with merging on the freeway (or orbit ;-):shocked::heart:

Attached are a couple of photos of the Esprit and then my feet in the footwell of the SLC and yes i am wearing socks with sandals:it's the Seattle area people :lipsrsealed:

If anyone else in the area has a build going I'd love to see it and if timing allows help out for a day or two.

Cheers,

David

David, atleast you had on your track sandles!!
Was nice to have met you. Will definetly follow up with you on the trackdays with the local Audi Club. Will let you know when I have the R8 engine back...

Thanks for that link, awesome. Always been a Lotus fan but prefer something a little bigger. That being said; i'm certainly looking forward to a ride in Hyder's animal!

Mark B.

Supporter
I have my build that I just started a couple weeks ago on the southwest side of Redmond. Car is disassembled and I just finished up the pedal assembly and most of the brake lines but that's it.

I'm mocking up the engine / accessories as well - (GM LS)

You're welcomed to stop by and take a look.
:chug:

Hyder, I am a huge fan of the Audi V8 & V10 engines, and its pure poetry to see one being married to a SLC. That is my idea of the dream street sportscar. Any special reason you chose the V8 over the V10?

Not too sure on clearance, but the VF-Engineering supercharger designed specifically for the R8, is one excellent bit of kit and does have a lower profile. I have well over 10,000 track miles on an SC powered R8 and its still powers as fresh and clean as new. Instant pure linear power without any unsettling turbo surge.

Even without a SC, the Audi R8 V8 remains more than enough engine to make the true DREAM SLC street machine. The sound that comes from those engines is true magic. What tracks do you normally use? Maybe we can connect when you have your SLC sorted. My home is not too far from the tracks in Oregon.

Hyder

Supporter
Hyder, I am a huge fan of the Audi V8 & V10 engines, and its pure poetry to see one being married to a SLC. That is my idea of the dream street sportscar. Any special reason you chose the V8 over the V10?

Not too sure on clearance, but the VF-Engineering supercharger designed specifically for the R8, is one excellent bit of kit and does have a lower profile. I have well over 10,000 track miles on an SC powered R8 and its still powers as fresh and clean as new. Instant pure linear power without any unsettling turbo surge.

Even without a SC, the Audi R8 V8 remains more than enough engine to make the true DREAM SLC street machine. The sound that comes from those engines is true magic. What tracks do you normally use? Maybe we can connect when you have your SLC sorted. My home is not too far from the tracks in Oregon.

I was originally looking at the Merc E55 powerplant.... Ran into a great deal on the R8 V8 complete with the trans and shifter. I jumped on it. However, I did underestimate the complexity of running an Audi Direct Injection engine on a standalone unit! Finally found a solution - an expensive one at that!
Profile was an issue to fitting in an SLC. I modified the intake and got it to just clear. The supercharger is definitely an option down the road - road to recovery!!
As you mentioned, I wanted something out of the ordinary for a car like the SLC.
And the sound.... ooh the sound of a tuned Audi flat crank V8!!!
Would love to meet up on a track day in OR when I'm finished

Great to hear about an Audi v8 in an SL-C. I'm also a big fan of these engines as I too have a supercharged 4.2 and it is a beast, even if it can cause headaches.

Would love to see a build thread or even just occasional updates.

However, I did underestimate the complexity of running an Audi Direct Injection engine on a standalone unit! Finally found a solution - an expensive one at that!

Not surprised to hear that. DFI is particularly expensive still since only a few high-end ECUs support it. Which one did you use?

I have my build that I just started a couple weeks ago on the southwest side of Redmond. Car is disassembled and I just finished up the pedal assembly and most of the brake lines but that's it.

I'm mocking up the engine / accessories as well - (GM LS)

You're welcomed to stop by and take a look.
:chug:

Mark shot you a PM, would love to check it out.

Hyder

Supporter
Not surprised to hear that. DFI is particularly expensive still since only a few high-end ECUs support it. Which one did you use?

Tim, I went with...
F90 | Life Racing Ltd
With full option including Traction control and launch control.
Standalone with Mil-spec harness, Dyno time for engine with multiple maps.
Around 15K!!!
I know of a LOT of viable engine options well under this budget.... But this was a dream car for me and I wanted something more than the ordinary when you looked under that rear cover!! Total for this engine/trans, ECU, and tuning - 30K.

Mark B.

Supporter
You're more than welcomed to stop by -- I just dropped a note to David. I'll be home next Saturday working on the car all day if that works for you guys.

Hyder, no problem at all, unfortunately I'm booked the next couple of weekends. If you can make it please go. I'll get there some day and your welcome to come along :)

Cheers,

David

I would love more details on the lotus!!!!

I dunknow, you may need a bigger exhaust! Looking awesome, is it in for engine management now? How goes the body prep?

Roger Reid

Supporter
Tim, I went with...
F90 | Life Racing Ltd
With full option including Traction control and launch control.
Standalone with Mil-spec harness, Dyno time for engine with multiple maps.
Around 15K!!!
I know of a LOT of viable engine options well under this budget.... But this was a dream car for me and I wanted something more than the ordinary when you looked under that rear cover!! Total for this engine/trans, ECU, and tuning - 30K.

Syvecs also makes a stand alone ECU for the Audi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLwD4YvEt3w&feature=youtu.be

Back