Group Purchase of GT40 Drawings for Public Use

Could the club not buy these and make them available to everyone? I would be willing to chip in, it seems one of the best ways to spend club money I can think of.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Original Chassis Drawings

Could the club not buy these and make them available to everyone? I would be willing to chip in, it seems one of the best ways to spend club money I can think of.
What club would that be and would there be a membership subscription involved ?

Ron Earp

Admin

If some forum members are interested in these and having them publicly available (for FREE) then we could collect the funds to purchase them and host them on the site. Just post here if folks are interested in that. They could be hosted in a directory linked to a thread with indexing, thumbnails, and all that for ease of browsing. Naturally, they'd have to be scanned but I'm sure we could collectively handle that. I'd pitch in $100 on the project.

Ron

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

:huh: Am I correct that a set of these prints cost £625 ?
Scans of these drawing were available on CD for £500 from the guy who originally put them up for sale on this forum last Autumn.
His post was deleted for some reason but I know many of us bought the CDs.
They are not chassis layouts and you will not be able to build a chassis from these drawings as the content only comprises of odd panel sketches, suspension members and details of the pedal box.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter

:huh: Am I correct that a set of these prints cost £625 ?
Scans of these drawing were available on CD for £500 from the guy who originally put them up for sale on this forum last Autumn.
His post was deleted for some reason but I know many of us bought the CDs.
They are not chassis layouts and you will not be able to build a chassis from these drawings as the content only comprises of odd panel sketches, suspension members and details of the pedal box.

Are you saying that the 250+( at least that was my read) prints only contain the pedal assembly drawings and other minor stuff?? Seems like a lot of sketches for so few things. If it IS only those items, I'd probably have to retract my above post. A little clarification by the OP would be helpful at this point. The list posted didn't specify ( at least I couldn't identify what drawings) were included. Seemed like quite a bit to cover so few things.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

I am stating that a lot of these drawings are fabrication sketches of some (not all) of the individual plate panels.
You will need the original chassis layouts and GAs drawn with the co-ordination / reference grid to assemble the panel parts to build a GT40.
The pedal box and the individual suspension wishbone sketches are well detailed.

Hum...
It seems that they are the same drawings advertised here by "PaulGT40".
He was asking 500£ for the 250 drawings.

If any of you guys who bought the CD is ready to share, I'm in with another 100$! But if the files are availables to download.

Even if there is no assy drawing, I guess, that with "good volounteers", and the help of those "happy few" which have access to real cars, a little group of cad guys (I could be one of them) could probably try to have a good 3d model, starting with the panels drawings. And even if it doesn't allow us to model the entire car, it would be, at least a good start!

Maybe the first opportunity to break this lethal rule that seems to protect the "secrets" of this car.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't like to kill others like Mirage, Geox, SPF and others business, but 40+ years later, if this informations are availables, why wouldn't we share it. Not to mention, in addition, that even if this project starts, and even if we achieve it, how much of us could achieve a "real" replica?
I have no Idea about how much would be necessary to invest in tooling for replicating some perticulars parts as roof, windshiel surrounding, fuel cells ribs, jigs and so on, but I may not be wrong if I count for 5 or 6 figures...

Come on guys, let's try! And please, count me in the list!

Olivier.

Ron Earp

Admin

Hum...
It seems that they are the same drawings advertised here by "PaulGT40".
He was asking 500£ for the 250 drawings.

That was "offers over 2500 pounds" is what he wanted. And he was here specifically to make money.

Maybe the first opportunity to break this lethal rule that seems to protect the "secrets" of this car.

My thoughts exactly. I personally have no interest in the drawings. But I have not appreciated the attitude of some folks who have the drawings, or access to them, and seemingly want to keep others from having access to them.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't like to kill others like Mirage, Geox, SPF and others business, but 40+ years later, if this informations are availables, why wouldn't we share it. Not to mention, in addition, that even if this project starts, and even if we achieve it, how much of us could achieve a "real" replica?

Exactly. 99.99% of the folks with the drawings will do nothing with them other than have a look, just like most kit plane plans.

I'd like to a complete set of drawings in the public domain.

That was "offers over 2500 pounds" is what he wanted. And he was here specifically to make money.

I emailed him, and he was asking 500£. Too much for myself. If ten guys bought it for this price... He now can offer nice hollidays to his familly...

My thoughts exactly. I personally have no interest in the drawings. But I have not appreciated the attitude of some folks who have the drawings, or access to them, and seemingly want to keep others from having access to them.

Couldn't agree more... Just a question of money perhaps? But, really, I can't believe it. Of course, it is of a great value. But which value? Even if 50 guys in the world are ready to spend years and money necessary to complete cars, will it be a big loss for the manufacturers? Pretty sure that if they do it, they probably can't afford a Gelcsoe, nor a geox, nor a Mirage... Without counting all the specials "bits" necessary, like a tranny, an engine, the right whipper motor unit, the right hinges, the right...

Exactly. 99.99% of the folks with the drawings will do nothing with them other than have a look, just like most kit plane plans.

If I had them, I would play with my computer, modelling it in 3D, and would also try to make a great model of it...

I'd like to a complete set of drawings in the public domain.

Amen!

Ron Earp

Admin

I emailed him, and he was asking 500£. Too much for myself. If ten guys bought it for this price... He now can offer nice hollidays to his familly...

Interesting. From that Paul Drawings fellow, that only joined the forum to make money (a difference JimmyMac in what 99.99% of the rest of us are here to do - 2500 pounds for the complete set.
moz-screenshot-2.png
Hi Everyone,
First of all I’m sorry for taking so long thinking this one over.

Secondly I’d like to thank everyone for their comments both here and via email. This has been partly why I’ve taken so long.

I really didn’t expect so many people with differing views.

<o:p></o:p>
I’m sure the decision I have made won’t be to everyone’s liking. I guess I’ll not be able to keep everyone happy.
The conclusion I have come to is to sell 2 copies to 2 different people. The scanned drawings will come as one package of over 200 drawing files on one CD.
If you have not seen a list of the drawings I can send you a list via email.
I understand that these drawings are extremely rare and hardly, if ever, get offered up for sale.
That said I don’t want to put them out of reach to everyone.
The price I’ll be asking for each of the 2 sets will be £2,500.
I will also undertake not to sell any other sets of these drawing files for a period of 12 months.
So to clarify, only 2 sets of the GT40 drawing files (scanned from the original drawings) will be available for 12 months. The cost of each set on 1 CD will be £2,500 (That’s GB pounds) payable through Paypal.
I could have misjudged the pricing and attractiveness of these files totally, in which case I might have to rethink my proposal altogether.
After a period of 12 months I will expect to offer the same drawing files again, but at the same restriction of 2 sets for the whole year.
If anyone has any question whatsoever, please do not hesitate to message me through here at gt40s.com or via my email address at *************[email protected].
Thank you all for your time and the many messages sent already.
Paul...
Now, if someone wants to sell a set for 500 pounds then so much the better. Let's collect the cash and buy them for the site.

Ron

If I'm not wrong, 500 GBP, equal to about 800$ (Must check with paypal currency conversion rate)

Scott Calabro: ??$
Ron Earp: 100$
Me: 100$

Do you confirm guys? (I do!)

JimmyMac, would you like to refund yourself your investment???

For those interested, copy this list and add your name and your contribution...

Ron, would you be ready to collect the funds? I do not propose myself as I am a newbee here, and I would understand that not everyone would put his trust me...

Olivier.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Interesting. From that Paul Drawings fellow, that only joined the forum to make money (a difference JimmyMac in what 99.99% of the rest of us are here to do - 2500 pounds for the complete set.Ron

Yes it is interesting.
It also appears that the £2500 was no doubt established after a number of people on this forum who contacted Paul and wanted exclusivity of the CD files.
I met the chap over some beers and his lap-top for my purchase and he was a decent fellow and he explained all of this to me.
So Ron, perhaps some of your 99.99% are less pietous than you care to believe.

Ron Earp

Admin

Y
I met the chap over some beers and his lap-top for my purchase and he was a decent fellow and he explained all of this to me.
So Ron, perhaps some of your 99.99% are less pietous than you care to believe.

I'm sure he's a nice fellow. If he'd explained all of the situation at the time he posted then I'm sure everything would have been crystal clear, but, he didn't.

At any rate, Oliver, yes, I'm in for $100. I can easily collect the funds and keep a running total for the project. I was just emailing Scott C this morning and I know most of the guys on the forum pretty well. As Oliver says JimmyMac or some of the other folks who bought a set on DVD could simply recover their investment by selling it to the group.

Ron

Edited post for simplicity.

Hope we'll be enough interested...

We now have to find someone willing to "sell" his CD...

Caus', If PaulGTdrawings is still arround, not sure he will accept to sell anything else...

Jimmy? Ready to sell or not?

Thanks

Olivier.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Dear Olivier,
I already have a full CAD model (and my own chassis)
Some guys are already using the drawings in question to make parts and I would not wish to stifle their business so I'm out.

After all that is said and done, AK started this thread.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

At this stage we don't know if this is the same stuff that JimmyMac and others bought last year but it seems to be a different vendor.

Someone would need to verify what we would actually be getting for the money and then make a judgement call as to whether they were worth that to the forum.

I have no use for these but I'm willing to chip in $US100 if it is deemed that there is sufficient useful information there to make the purchase a worthwhile investment for the forum.

Back