GT40 45th reunion at Road America

Well, if everyone else is going, I'm going to too!:thumbsup:

I think I will bring my car if some of you guys are going to. Maybe we could do some type of scenic cruise? I wonder if there will be a cool place to park at the track for some replica's or maybe downtown?

Johan, where are you parking the bus?

I'm parking in space 39 in the paddock. It is recognizable because there is a permanent metal carport there. Same place every year. Last year a tornado blew through just as we were pulling in and we worried that the carport might have flown the coop but it survived. We arrive Wednesday to unload and set up. Thursday is test day. Friday is practice. Saturday is Qualifying. Sunday is the feature race. Saturday is always the best day. Sunday is good as well but the racers are already packing up and getting ready to head home. I like Saturday the best because I can have my big styrofoam cup of scotch after the days activities whereas Sunday we have a long road trip to look forward to.
Friday night is the race cars downtown. What a party. Saturday is the street cars downtown and the same big party. Wednesday night we cook out in the paddock or go to Schwarz's supper club in nearby St Mary's. We drove an Army jeep to Schwarz's last year and almost rolled it in a sharp turn on a country road. Thursday night we go to dinner at Lola's on the Lake. Last year we had Brian Redman and Sam Posey at the dinner and they had us in stitches as they argued with each other about their differing recollections of racing incidents from back in the day. Park your cars inside of turn 5 with the Windy City Cobra guys. It is a great place to be. The idea is to park and walk around, or drive around. It is a huge place.

There are also various car parks all along the track. I think if you go to RA's website they will show a map of the track and also the parking lots outside of the track. It would be cool to see many people from this forum there. I would like to meet other 40/Lola heads. I too like Saturday the most. All of the cars are out in the open. :) This is always a high light of my year.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Dean, I knew you would make it, Mike, Kirby, and myself are bringing cars and discussed a road trip while in Wisconsin and North Carolina, its a beautiful area from what I remember. Your north of all of us but would be nice if you could join in the band of desperado's. :)

Brain did you get your wide body? You should join in with us, we are talking of doing VIR with Olthoff the week before then going to Elkhart the following. This could be a real good time with a bunch of the guys from the forum.

Evan I think the cobra tent kitchen is the meeting place.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Will the Replicas get a pass fot track laps?
Or can we put on a show / display of GT40's together?

If so is it worth shipping over from the UK? 2 cars per container?

Ian

They do have a tour of the track. This will allow you to drive your car on a legendary track. I believe it is about 50 dollars. The best day to do it is either Friday. It is less crowded, i did it with my dads GTi. If you lay off the person in front of you and get a good distance you can really open it up. I got up to 120 on the back street. :) haha

Jack, I would love to join in the caravan! I wonder if Olthoff would like to show how superior his cars are to the RCR GT40 at VIR?:poke: I would love to drive on that track.

My family has made to the trip to Elkart Lake with me a few times when I have been there for track time. It is a great place. I love that area and a a drive would be a lot of fun.

If we could round up a significant group of GT40 replica's, I could call the track and see if they would give us a display area of some kind where we could all park together. I can only imagine the photo opportunities on a track tour with 15 or 20 GT 40's Coming down the hill into turn 4 or through Canada Corner coming up the hill!

Can we start a poll to see how many are coming to the event from the forum?

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oh WOW, this is building up to something great.

RCR's, SPF's, RF's, etc. at VIR and RA.

We can call it the GT40 Acronym get together. We can't let Kirby have all of the fun.

I can't wait to see all of the cars.

Jack, I think we need to make it to both of them.

Sure is a fun time

Attachments

• briccamp.jpg
    briccamp.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 389
  • roadam.jpg
    roadam.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 374
  • Picture 331.jpg
    Picture 331.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 365
  • KIC 2007 079 (Small).jpg
    KIC 2007 079 (Small).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 453
  • KIC 2007 083 (Small).jpg
    KIC 2007 083 (Small).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 383

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Never been so I am researching hotels and thought I’d ask: Given a choice, Osthoff Resort or Siebkens Resort, what would be the preference in terms of racing atmosphere and location to watching the cars drive downtown. Since traveling from California and making this a first time event I want to get the full experience. If there’s a better suggestion let me know. Thanks

I think it is a one or two stoplight town. Not big at all. No problem finding a spot to stand and watch the parade of cars many places along the route. Siebkens is a nice location for sure. I haven't been to Osthoff's.

I normally stay near Sheboygan and drive the short distance to the track. The nice thing about this event is that there is really not much attendance and no real crowd issues - from my experience.

Are you driving your 40 there Tim?

Mike

I am planning to attend with my family but I would like to take my car also.
Anybody in the Indy area planning to trailer his car with an empty space in his trailer?

Cheers!

Sure is a fun time

Johan,

I look forward to seeing you and your car at Road America. I will be there as well. It was fun getting to know you and your friends at Watkins Glen last summer. I've never been to Elkhart Lake , but I'm sure they're the two best circuits in the US .

I hope to meet more from the forum there as well!

Tim,
Siebkens is right down town Elkhart lake. So you will be in the middle of the atmosphere after the racing is done. The car parade/show is there. If you can get a room then i dont see why not!

Hi All,
I will be attending, and plan to bring my SPF GT40 MKII. This will be my first meet with other GT40 owners. Looking forward to meeting fellow enthusiast, along with seeing and learning more about the GT40, orginal and replica. I will be staying at; Sleep Inn & Suites, 3912 Motel Road, Sheboygan, WI 53081 Phone: (920) 694-0099 (about 20mins from Road America).

Anyone else from Michigan going?

Jim

Back