GT40 45th reunion at Road America

Hi, I just got word back from organizer George Bruggenthies that there IS now a schedule of events viewable at

Road America | Road Racing at its Best! | KIC Info Center

and it looks like a winner! Sunrise tour, breakfast with Redman and Hobbs.

Hope this is helpful.
Simon
CANADA
icon6.gif

I know some of you guys are going to VIR and then to Elkhart. Are any of you going strait up. I figure it is a two day hike for me from Atlanta, plus I will have to pick up my wife in Milwalkee Thursday morning. If possible it would be great to meet up with some of you that are driving and we could convoy part of the way if the landscape/days permit. What is the word from any of you Europeans. Anyone going to make it. If so and you want to see the USA sing out. It is a lonely trip by ones self.
Anyone still looking for a spot, I have several good leads for the Elkhart area and Crystal Lake(next to the race track). I did some searching through the Chamber of Commerce and the Vacation Resort By Owners and came up with some pretty good results.

Bill

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Bill, there are 4 of us going from central US that I know of, one from Kansas, one from Texas, and two from Arkiesaw. None of the wives are going to VIR as far as I know but know for sure that Mike Trusty's wife and my wife will meet us in RA. Wish we had some way to coordinate a time and meeting place for those of us that are traveling east on US40.

Scott McDill

Supporter
Bill, My son and I are driving from Florida and also expect to do the drive in two days. We won't be going to VIR so we are going strait to Elkhart. Would be glad to meet up for a convoy.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Dean Lampe and Dayrl Adams are in IL. I think Dean is going to VIR and not sure about Dayrl but if we all arrive at VIR for the tract event then we can convoy together from there to RA.

Jack,
Have you planned your itinerary yet? I-40 goes to Nashville, which is a direct shot up to RA. If you are planning that route we could set up a rendezvous point. If you are planning to turn north sooner(Memphis), we could set up another meeting spot, maybe in Carbondale.

Scott,
I am in Atlanta(Snellville, right next to Stone Mountain). I don't know your route to RA. We should plan the travel dates so we could join up either in Atlanta or on the road.

Jack,
Google maps has you going north, then west to Indianapolis. Depending on travel dates, we could meet up there or you could go west at Charleston West Virginia to Louisville and meet up there.

These routes are very close to one another and aren't that far out of the way from each other. We just gotta get our travel dates together.

I can smell a convoy???

Bill

Johan,
I've reserved RV site E1 for the event.
We will be arriving Wednesday afternoon and staying for the entire event.
Renee and I hope to run into you at the event.

The following weekend I've signed up to run the track with the Shelby club.

Cheers,
Ed

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jack,
Have you planned your itinerary yet? I-40 goes to Nashville, which is a direct shot up to RA. If you are planning that route we could set up a rendezvous point. If you are planning to turn north sooner(Memphis), we could set up another meeting spot, maybe in Carbondale.

Scott,
I am in Atlanta(Snellville, right next to Stone Mountain). I don't know your route to RA. We should plan the travel dates so we could join up either in Atlanta or on the road.

Jack,
Google maps has you going north, then west to Indianapolis. Depending on travel dates, we could meet up there or you could go west at Charleston West Virginia to Louisville and meet up there.

These routes are very close to one another and aren't that far out of the way from each other. We just gotta get our travel dates together.

I can smell a convoy???

Bill
Sounds good to me, convoy could be fun. Wish we had a map with dates, times and places that people could use as a tool for planing a trip. If I knew that you were going to be in the Walmart parking lot at 12 noon at XYZ town and leaving by 3 that afternoon, it would give time to dial in your travel and stops. I really am excited about RA, its going to be a great time! And share with all the people I have talked with on this forum and of course look at all the cars. I see that Superformance has made a special deal for all the people who own SPF cars at RA. I think they are a day late and a dollar short in my opinion. To bad they don't follow this forum.

Johan,
I've reserved RV site E1 for the event.
We will be arriving Wednesday afternoon and staying for the entire event.
Renee and I hope to run into you at the event.

The following weekend I've signed up to run the track with the Shelby club.

Cheers,
Ed
Ed, that is great ! You are doing the event in the best possible manner and will be able to participate in all of the behind the scenes action. I believe you will like Road America !

Jack,

Just out of curiousity, what's the special deal by Superformance for SPF owners at RA.

Thanks,
John

Ron McCall

Supporter
Who is planning to take their replica to this? Exactly what activitys would a replica owner be able to participate in? What ,exactly ,is the "Touring" class?? Is it a parade lap thing or is it an open track format?

Thanks!

Ron McCall

Supporter
Ron, Are you thinking about making the drive?

Dean,
I was thinking about having it transported there. But I'm not sure that the expense is justified. If I can't participate,then what's the point? I am thinking about VIR the weekend before though! Are you going to VIR? What is your schedule going to be?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
John its basically the same thing we have been discussing here for months, seems they decided to jump on the band wagon and have a special spot for SPF GT40s and special this and that.

Who is planning to take their replica to this? Exactly what activitys would a replica owner be able to participate in? What ,exactly ,is the "Touring" class?? Is it a parade lap thing or is it an open track format?

Thanks!

I'm planning attending as a spectator. I think the Touring session during lunch is pace-car controlled, 60 MPH "no passing" type of parade lap, so I doubt I'll participate in that. The event is mostly a chance to see and hear some fantastic historic race cars. The GT40 class and the historic F1 cars will make the event worth it for me. There are other club-organised events, like the Alfa Club track day at Road America, where you can get out on the track yourself and really have a go.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Is anybody from the UK thinking about this event ?

It's twenty years since the Watkins Glen Reunion.
Will it be like Watkins Glen and how many originals are likely to be there ?

Thanks Guys,

I got a referral from Lance at Superformance for a gentleman that has a three car enclosed trailer that moves cars for a living. I contacted him and he seems reasonably priced. Are there two other cars on the West Coast that want to partner up?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
It's twenty years since the Watkins Glen Reunion.
Will it be like Watkins Glen and how many originals are likely to be there ?

QUOTE]

If it is 50 percent of the Watkins reunion it will be good. The Glen event had the best weather and the most friendly, laid back atmosphere. The access to cars was excellent, the "additude" was not present for the most part (Peter Livanos and his helicopter downdraft blowing gravel on the show cars exception) and a fine time was had by all. Even my wife still talks about how much fun it was. We look forward to attending RA with a couple of SPF rollers for sale.......

Back