GT40 build manual, any available?

Hi all,
Is there any build manuals available from manufacturers. I dare say it's a tightly held object, however I wasn't sure if some free examples were around from dated manufacturers or someone being naughty and putting it online.
Doing a scratch build poses a ton of small things like windscreen wiper motor selection and mounting etc.. It would be nice to have a reference.
Cheers

ERA has a copy of their build manual available for download. However, it is a text only version (no pictures or diagrams). Still pretty useful if you want to get an idea of what a build takes. Not sure if this link will work, but you can find it on their site if you poke around.

http://www.erareplicas.com/freeman/gt.pdf

The build logs on this forum are great for getting an idea of what is involved with building each of the different replicas available.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Skippy

DITTO! DITTO! DITTO!.

I am constantly amazed by the number of people that try to take on a 40 when they have so little understanding of the basics of ordinary cars let alone a 40.

When I started my 40 the build manual was never a consideration before or during the build.

Dimi.

Hey all,
Cheers to those who have pm'ed or dropped am email. Sorry to those I havnt got back to, I have been away over the weekend so checking in on the mobil!
Skippy and Dimi - perhaps re-read my post, I understand your angle but not a productive response guys!
To clarify the point of sifting through the manuals is to see what has worked for others, how they have gone about certain aspects and possibly what parts they may have used.
I have worked on projects which I would consider more difficult than a 40 replica because there was nothing to reference other than drawings and old boys with great memories. Forums like this and the fact there is kits we can reference are a great help. My aim is to finish within budget and not in 20 years. Previous projects were smaller and easier to compliance.
I do agree that allot if people say they want to tackle a project with little knowledge but I say good on them, how the hell else do you learn and to be honest building a replica from well engineered kit is easier than restoring or modifying a car. I havnt seen a 40 kit but have been exposed to others and I'm really impressed with fit and finish, they literally bolt together in some cases, I have also seen some of the many Lamborghini kits they refuse to fit together.

Huh....I see your first problem :laugh:

haha yeah, I first starting restoring British cars when was just a wee kid; after the first two I learnt quickly budget is a bad word. After that I got pretty good at predicting costs on restorations of vehicles I was familiar with. Modifying or custom work is bloody hard so I just think of what it should cost, double it and add some more, and no matter what, never tell the other half whst you really spent!!!!
I love researching learning and applying something that works great, but is budget orientated. For me half the fun comes from this aspect. I think I first got hooked when club members where playing with SU Carbs and Webbers to try amd get a bit better performance and drivability out of their tiny 998cc engines and i went away and retro fitted an AC Delco EFI system from a Camira to my BMC 803cc Austin engine. The parts were free and the outcome was so rewarding for a young lad.
I tend to find the biggest killer for me is time. I tend to research everything then spend longer than most measuring and fitting and so forth and then keep the partner happy!

I am only stirring you.......Do your research, see if you can score a body and go for it.

My advice is find your nearest GT40 and measure the hell out of it. If you base it on one brand then at least you can allways copy the hard parts.

You will also need to get the dash from the person who supplies you the body as DRB and RF have very different set up's that wont interchange.

Jonesy,
I understand what you're trying to find. Every project has problems specific to that car. The ERA manual is a good starting place especially for solutions to Ford engine and ZF trans installations. Beyond that spend time going thru build logs on the forum. I got several tips on external clutch slave fabricating as an example.

Back