GT40 dashboard clock

Hi all

Just wondering if the original cars had any sort of clock in them whether in road or race spec?

Thanks

Trev

Trev,
The owners of P1034 state that their car was a road version of the GT40 because it has a clock on the dash.

"The pine green car left the factory with black road car trim, and as the Ford Advanced Vehicles Production Car Record Sheet records, a heated windscreen, reversing lights, wing mirrors, an electric clock and two fuel gauges"

Last edited:
I take it, it's this car?
1965 MK1 Ford GT40, Chassis P 1034 | Ecurie Investments

Don't suppose anyone has any better pictures of the dash/clock?

Trev

Trev,
The owners of P1034 state that their car was a road version of the GT40 because it has a clock on the dash.

"The pine green car left the factory with black road car trim, and as the Ford Advanced Vehicles Production Car Record Sheet records, a heated windscreen, reversing lights, wing mirrors, an electric clock and two fuel gauges"

I have a June 1969 local road test (Australia) of a racing GT40 converted and registered for road use. This car (unfortunately doesn't state chassis no.) has, according to the article, gauges: speedometer, oil temperature, oil pressure, interior temperature (cause it gets very hot inside), stop watch, tachometer, fuel pressure. This car has a five litre engine producing 400 bhp and weighs 1800 lb. The owner regularly used to cover distances such as 300 miles (in Europe) in two hours, with water temperature never above 70 degrees C. Cost $40,000 landed in Australia (sob!) about 1969. Unfortunately, no pictures of the stop watch/ clock.

I am fortunate enough to able to class the second owner of P1034 (as mentioned in the article linked above), a very close friend. I will ask him if he has any photo's that may prove useful to you Trev.

Hi Trev.

I just finished speaking with Paul on the telephone and he does have lots of pictures of 1034 including shots of the dash, taken by a journalist many years ago. That's the good news. The bad news is that they are all boxed up in storage as Paul is moving house.

How urgently do you need it?

Not urgent Mark. I am just buying the odd part here and there while I am waiting for some parts to arrive and thought I'd look into clocks.

I was thinking of fitting an aircraft style clock like the one below but if I can find an authentic clock then I'd prefer that.
DSC00636-3.jpg

Trev

I have been doing the same myself for years it seems. Pity the fool trying to locate old Veglia guages!

Rick, I can understand the cigarette lighter installation, so the driver can "relax" in long distance races. But why put a temperature gauge in the cockpit to confirm to the driver that he's uncomfortably hot? Bad psychology it would seem.

Trev,
Just out of interest, what are you planning to put in the dash. As I am running Elec gauges I am having to modify my loom to allow me to have only one fuel guage (shows the one pumping), then I am running, Voltage, Oil pressure, Oil Temp and Water Temp. I have a watch for a clock ;)

I guess if you ran a mechanical gauge you can combine the Oil Pressure and Water temp.

Brett

Back