GT40 Eye Candy

Michael,
Thanks for posting the videos. Pull that copyrighted music off and just let us listen to the mechanicals!

BTW, how does it handle? So far just straightaway blasts down 470. You live in Conifer area? How about a video blasting up Deer Creek Canyon Road, then south on Deer Creek Road? Coal Creek Canyon and Left Hand Canyon are always fun! Maybe you can tease us with a video up and down one of these twisty roads before they lay sand in the foothills. Get those brakes warmed up!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
The plan is before the car goes up the hill for winter next Sunday, I am going to run up Clear Creek Canyon or maybe up to Estes Park early Sat morning. It sounds like it may snow on Wed so keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't and they don't sand. I'll never push the car very hard but will run it up at a nice pace with those megaphones bouncing off the tight canyon walls.

I'm in no position to make judgements on how the car handles. I would defer those sort of questions to Dennis Olthoff or others that truly know how to push these cars to the limits. From my amateurish point of view, the car handles great. The high speeds manners while not bad are not in the same league as the Ford GT was. The GT was rock solid and tracked perfectly at any speed I ever had it up to(180). The 40 seems more twitchy at speed which may just because of the way the front geometry is setup. That or maybe my lack of any real driving talent but at 145mph I don't any desire keep the pedal down past that. It's not scary but not nearly as confidence inspiring as the GT was.

Olthoff probably set the car with a basic setup. The rest will be up to you to tune and refine. There will be plenty of track days ahead next year where you can play with the adjustments.

"It's not scary but not nearly as confidence inspiring as the GT was."
That's what gives you a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day....when you actually have to drive the car.

Enjoy the mountain drives ahead!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Sorry if you already said but do you still call CO home? Would be a blast to go out cruising with another 40.

Yes, I have a home in So. Parker near Franktown and Castle Rock. Haven't been there much for the past 6-7 years or so. I have friends and neighbors keep an eye on the place when I'm away. I usually drive (or race) with the Mile High Cobra Club folks. We have Coupes, Lambos, Vipers, and Vettes join along. Anyone's welcome, really.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Final drive of the year before putting up for winter. Met up with a friend and his Gulf Ford GT.

2011103001.jpg

2011103002.jpg

2011103003.jpg

2011103004.jpg

2011103005.jpg

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Short video

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YCkqy03VJQ8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="853"></iframe>

Great video!!
Go through those extra videos that will come up when finished viewing and you will find some other 40s along with a pair of Ford GTs in a Japanese or Middle Eastern???? Drift race. I am no text expert:stunned: It is the one with GT 5 & GT40 and a lot of blocks between them.

Bill

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks! The camera is a GoPro HD. They shoot in wide angle which is nice but the sound is lacking. The new model supports an external mic I understand which should a big improvement.

Beautiful car,enjoy her. I hope you liked our little part of the country,Dennis and the guys do a fantastic job. I have met him on several occasions and he's always been gracious with any and all question i had. Again, enjoy your machine and drive her in good health.Also,just wanted to say that was a nice gesture on the charity event for the little girl,it's a small way we as car guys can give back to those in need.God Bless.
SP.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Got it out and warmed it up today. Ready for next summer now!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y2UuiqoyqEQ?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Am I the only one who got a funny feeling in my trousers while listening to that last video? A feeling like I got when I climbed a rope in 5th grade gym class. :D

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Dec warmup...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5mTe0xLUeyA?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back