GT40 For Weekend Cruiser

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
Kayakers use water proof zip up bags. I thought if I did some traveling I would use one and storage It up front where the spare tire sure be. And I think there is room for a large AWOL bag in front of the passenger's feet.

Dwight your definition of a fun weekend and mine are polar opposites. I agree with Cliff Beers that using a 40 for a "weekend" transport is not a good idea. These cars were designed for a single purpose and it wasn't for a weekend getaway. Even taking my car to a local show really stretches its usability. By the time I get the detail bag, signage, portable chair and liquid refreshments in the car, shifting gets to be an interesting activity. If buying a fun car that can be used as a getaway car is part of the plan, get something other than a 40.

I have one of these bought for a previous car I owned, may see if it will adapt to the 40.

https://www.boot-bag.com/

I am also thinking of trying something like this as my wife doesn't do traveling light :)

Attachments

• cases 2 small diag skoda 206.JPG
    cases 2 small diag skoda 206.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 243

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Well put. An hour in my pic-up gives me a sore leg !! I would be concerned about a load of any sort on the rear deck. A very small motorcycle type trailer would be my choice as I wouldn't like to stress the rear frame section of any 40, it's not built for it. Or as Pat suggests put a tooth brush in your shirt pocket and go.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Alan,

It all depends what your expectations are for weekend cruising, but I can tell you it works for me (and my wife):

https://www.gt40s.com/threads/rcr-40-31.20158/page-19#post-491958

When I did my build, I very purposefully kept the spare tire area in the front clear of hardware. This has become our luggage space, for which we use the previously mentioned drybags (kayaking "luggage"). If you pack light and tight as Ian mentions, and the wife is... what's the politically correct euphemism for low maintenance?... it is possible. If you check the link, you'll see my wife is a trooper with a capital "T" and stuffed 4 days worth of her existence into one drybag for a ~400 mile trip (one way) from Portland to Redding. We did the 7h drive with only one stop for gas after ~5h.

That said, I did set up the ergonomics up specifically for us. My driving position is extremely comfortable for me and I got a head rest and installed a foot rest for her as well. She was comfortable enough to actually fall asleep from time to time. It was 1000 miles round trip and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Actually, I did just that this past October.

I have yet to tour overnight with it outside of two long trips to Vaughn's house, but we have done the weekend car club cruises (couple of hours here and there) with ease. If we did a hotel-based tour, there are security issues to consider as well as weatherproofing considerations (or covered parking) to think about. This may not be an issue where you live, but in Portland (or the NW in general), it's always a possibility.

So, as you'll likely find for any questions you ask around here, there are many different and legitimate answers to be heard for the same question. Asking is the first way to figure out if it's possible, but based on others' experiences it's up to you to figure out if it's possible for you.

Chris

Bill, you are asking the wrong question. It's not how old we are, it's how young are you. My bosses used to say to me when I was a youngster, its not what you think you know, its what you don't know!

Alan,
I'd see if there is someone local to you that has a GT40 that you are wife can sit in.

What is reasonable and practical for you may not necessarily be the same for her.

If you know what I mean. :)

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...I would be concerned about a load of any sort on the rear deck.

Ditto...hence my query to Allen regarding same.

A '40's 'glass is 'race-light' (so to speak)...'not really intended/designed to bear dead weight...not to mention weight that's battling 'high winds' when the car's traveling 'at speed'.

Regardless, Allen's car evidentially isn't having problems.

At the risk of offending people here, allow me to suggest the rational alternative: Pantera.

It offers a fantastic mid-engine chassis, Ford V8 power, incredible styling AND a shocking level of practicality, to include two relatively huge luggage compartments.

A GT40 is a wonderful thing, but it is more akin to a crotch-rocket sport bike. Wonderful tool for a specific job, but woeful at the kind of thing you are proposing. A GT40 is a great Sunday-morning backroads blaster, track day car, etc. but if you want a mid-engined Ford-powered exotic for exhilarating back road driving that can swallow interstate miles too, the Pantera is what you want.

Yes I’m biased. But I’m experienced too.....

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
At the risk of offending people here, allow me to suggest the rational alternative: Pantera.

It offers a fantastic mid-engine chassis, Ford V8 power, incredible styling AND a shocking level of practicality, to include two relatively huge luggage compartments.

A GT40 is a wonderful thing, but it is more akin to a crotch-rocket sport bike. Wonderful tool for a specific job, but woeful at the kind of thing you are proposing. A GT40 is a great Sunday-morning backroads blaster, track day car, etc. but if you want a mid-engined Ford-powered exotic for exhilarating back road driving that can swallow interstate miles too, the Pantera is what you want.

Yes I’m biased. But I’m experienced too.....

Only problem with the Pantera option is finding a GOOD one that's been properly restored...no rust issues...electrical gremlins...proper updates... blah, blah, blah.

As you know, I've looked for one for quite a while my own darned self...'but have given up...

[QUOTE = "Ajzridehouston, Beitrag: 532570, Mitglied: 27742"] Wie realisierbar ist der GT-40 als Wochenendkreuzer? Es scheint, dass die meisten Builds auf historische Genauigkeit und / oder Track-Nutzung ausgerichtet sind. Ich habe keine Lust, ein Auto zu verfolgen oder ein historisch genaues zu bauen. Ich liebe den Look des GT40 und möchte ein wirklich tolles Auto für Wochenenden, Cruise Ins usw. Mein Hauptanliegen ist, wie klein der GT-40 zu sein scheint. Ich habe den Superlite GT-R aufgrund seiner größeren Größe als schwer zu betrachten (sogar zum MI geflogen, um die Anlage zu besichtigen), aber ich habe mehrere Gründe, weshalb ich vor einer Entscheidung etwas anderes in Betracht ziehen möchte und von denen, die dies getan haben, Eingaben wollte ein GT40 ist als Straßenmaschine geeignet. Für einen Referenzrahmen bin ich eher durchschnittlich groß (6'1 ", 175lbs) und meine Frau ist sehr klein.

Danke [/ QUOTE]
Probiere es bei Fa. Hr tel.nr. 00420 736 227 764 ich habe die Karosserie und Rahmen für mein GT40 günstig bekommen

Ron McCall

Supporter
Only problem with the Pantera option is finding a GOOD one that's been properly restored...no rust issues...electrical gremlins...proper updates... blah, blah, blah.

As you know, I've looked for one for quite a while my own darned self...'but have given up...
Larry,

That is absolutely not true. You just have to know who to ask. I bought my first Pantera in 1999 and still LOVE it!! I owned a GT40 and a Pantera at the same time . I think the GT40 is the coolest car ever but I still own the Pantera. GT40 is gone.

Ron

Ron is a professional Pantera mechanic. He is a good guy to ask if you want to find a good car. I am a professional Pantera dork (see me on Jay Leno’s Garage) and am also a good guy to ask if you want to find a good car. Julian Kift is also well-versed in these things. If anybody has a hankering to own one, let us know. While there are plenty of semi-dodgy cars out there, there are also a bunch of good-to-great ones available at any given time.

Ron is a professional Pantera mechanic. He is a good guy to ask if you want to find a good car. I am a professional Pantera dork (see me on Jay Leno’s Garage) and am also a good guy to ask if you want to find a good car. Julian Kift is also well-versed in these things. If anybody has a hankering to own one, let us know. While there are plenty of semi-dodgy cars out there, there are also a bunch of good-to-great ones available at any given time.
Ron if you see a clean nice one, please let me know... I am adding on to my garage!

Back