GT40 Mk1

The wheels arrived, however there are some major differences from the origianl BRM's
the spindel length is about 1 1/2" shorter on the front and 1 1/4" on the rear and the spinners are an 1/8 smaller at the taper and thread DAMMM, was told they would fit an origianl car???? will have to think this one through, (make new spindels) but then they wont be correct and I wont be able to fit correct wheels latter?

has any body found the same thing???

Attachments

• trademe car 006.jpg
    trademe car 006.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 980
  • trademe car 007.jpg
    trademe car 007.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,158
Guess it shows just how 'un-original' some replica bits are-- on the CC forum I have noted some comments about differences about this particular dimension also, though not to the amount your dealing with, one thing I suppose, nobody could accuse them of copying the originals dimension wise :).

HILLY

Supporter
Hi John,
What brand of wheels are these that you are using.
Is it definitely the wheels that are at fault?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I'm curious about the requirement for any DOT certification or other certification for these wheels also...
Pity that they don't fit.. I'm sure you've already thought of spacers and such..

Hi Peter

the wheels came from Vintage wheels, but are made in South Africa by wheelcraft
very nice wheels

I have had a set of origianl BRM's on the car with no problems, looks like I will have to make new spindels and re thread the spinners,

waithing for Bob to come back to me on the situation

and yes I expected some form of approval (dot) hope that does not cause me problems with
certification, may need a form to say they are ok ??

had problems with freight as well, may be I should of gone for the correct thing!!!

HILLY

Supporter
I agree John,
Sometimes the more expensive option works out cheaper in the long run.
Was there much of an initial saving on these??
It will be a shame to go to the effort that you have and then have to modify the correct items to make the incorrect ones fit.

Hi Peter

the wheels cost me just over $3k NZ all up,

started making new spindels this is the rear one on top the front needs to be shorter again

Attachments

• trademe car 017.jpg
    trademe car 017.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 870
John, I wonder if the spindles were lengthened to accomodate the increased loads from increases in width and/or offset on the originals, and the aftermart boys have just stuck to the one size fits all to save $$$$$.

HILLY

Supporter
John,
Very good price. I can see why you went that way.
Still a shame that you have to change the spindles.

Looks like my mistake, I am making to Gulf spec so things are different to std MK1
so a slight setback, nothing that cant be fixed, I should ask more questions when
ordering parts from overseas

I will be working on the tanks for the radiator soon, if anybody has some good photos of original radiators please forward to [email protected] as you can never have too much info, thanks

Attachments

• gt rad 005.jpg
    gt rad 005.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 857
John I still have a NOS original Mk1 radiator and will ge it out and take some new pics for you

Attachments

• 4-8-08 005.jpg
    4-8-08 005.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 721
A big thanks to all who sent photos of radiator, they where all different, no surprise!

just about all done, can some one advise, should I paint it or just leave as alloy finish?

Attachments

• gt40 RAD 005.jpg
    gt40 RAD 005.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 736
  • gt40 RAD 006.jpg
    gt40 RAD 006.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 750
  • gt40 RAD 007.jpg
    gt40 RAD 007.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 710
Back