GT40 Steering Wheel Emblem...

All,

This thread has been dormant for years. What's the latest info on this topic? I've been asked by the owner of a genuine original GT40 to find an original steering wheel boss/emblem (or rather, original style) for his car, as his went missing some time ago. I'm going to contact Fran Kress in the morning to see if he still has any available, but they aren't currently listed on his storefront on the Cobracountry website. Here is an image of what he *was* selling for $200, some time ago:

HornButn-FordGT-1b-648x648.jpg

Anybody got any good, current leads?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Mike,

Fran still has them.

I tried to "shoplift" one from him at Watkins Glen but he was too sharp. My plan now is he is addicted to my wife, Karen's chocolate chip cookies. In fact, he got really ticked when I gave some of his cookie stash away at the Glen. My clever plan is to have her add controlled substances to the cookie dough and while he is in "LaLa land" making off with a center or two.

He calls weekly asking for cookies to be FedEx'ed to Pittsburgh (like THAT isn't a made up name of a place) so while he is still lucid, contact him to send one to you.

Oh, and ask him about "chili" when he is on the phne......

He calls weekly asking for cookies to be FedEx'ed to Pittsburgh (like THAT isn't a made up name of a place) so while he is still lucid, contact him to send one to you.

What kind of cookies does he like? My girlfriend is a pretty decent baker; perhaps we could work out some sort of trade! :laugh:

I'll phone in the morning and let you know what I find out! THANKS! :thumbsup:

Mike
You may have to put your hands in a little deeper.
July this year Fran quoted $400 (including postage and paypal fees to Australia) or $450 including bezel.
Hence I still don't have one.

Clayton

Strangely enough - I was contacted a couple of weeks ago by a fellow forum member who had found a post I made some years back as I used to supply these emblems.

Anyway, after digging about, I've found 6 more.

If anyone is interested, the terms remain the same as before and can be viewed

HERE

ps - Dwight - I'll email you separately...

Hi Paul,
I will take one. I have just contacted Frank Catt to make me one of his steering wheel bosses. Still looking for a steering wheel as finish line out of stock.

Paul--yours are simply stickers which are affixed to a flat surface, correct?

I heard back from Fran regarding the original-style version that he has. I heard that he was out of stock and that the price had gone up significantly; he confirmed both by writing:

"I am trying to get more.
$425 if I can get them."

Not encouraging...:cry:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

I heard back from Fran regarding the original-style version that he has. I heard that he was out of stock and that the price had gone up significantly; he confirmed both by writing:

$425 if I can get them."

Fran did tell me he was running low and the vendor wanted a lot more for the next batch. Fran's centers are correct and do have the electro deposited plating in the recesses as original. And he does have P1054 to compare to!

Tell him you have Karen's cookies and brownies to trade.....

Charlie Farley

Supporter
I'm part way through having these emblems remade, as per an original steeringwheel i have. The plan is also to remanufacture the steeringwheel.
At present, the machine shop is halfway there with the steeringwheel and the emblem is part way through the die making process.

Attachments

• Gt40 Steering Wheel 001.jpg
    Gt40 Steering Wheel 001.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 848
  • Gt40 Steering Wheel 004.jpg
    Gt40 Steering Wheel 004.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 876

$425 if I can get them."

Yep, correct, they are foil printed and then have a domed plastic resin poured onto them so they are about 2.5mm thick. Pics below..

DF, BM and JR, I'll pm/email you for details etc..

3 gone, 3 remaining.

Attachments

• IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 748
  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 573
I'm part way through having these emblems remade, as per an original steeringwheel i have. The plan is also to remanufacture the steeringwheel.
At present, the machine shop is halfway there with the steeringwheel and the emblem is part way through the die making process.

I'm curious--why remanufacture the wheel, when it's still available over-the-counter from Moto Lita, the original manufacturer?

They used to list it specifically on their website. I just checked and it's no longer showing, but they do say that it's available.

Moto-Lita, the Classic British Steering Wheel

It's also available from Gelscoe, as seen here:

219.jpg

Not trying to rain on your parade, just wonder why you're reinventing the wheel (literally!) :laugh:

It's quite possible you know something I don't; if so please let us all know!

As for the emblems, I don't understand why those haven't been properly reproduced and kept on the market. Gelscoe makes a black one (black plastic perhaps? Difficult to tell from the photo although it looks like it's metal to me). It's obviously missing the Pepsi colors though!

218.jpg

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Mike,
Firstly, rest assured, i'm not reinventing the wheel, i've done my research.
Secondly, without giving away too much to the competition, Moto lita, don't and never have manufactured an 'original' wheel.
They were not as commonly misconstrued, the original supplier to FAV.
They have no drawings for the 'original' steeringwheel.
Look closely at my original wheel. Many subtle differences, let alone the diameter size....

Last edited:

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Mike,
I have the original FAV drawings for the steeringwheel , the accepted contractor's drawings and the 'sign off ' papers from FAV.
I'm in no way re inventing the wheel, just reproducing the original.

Mike,
Firstly, rest assured, i'm not reinventing the wheel, i've done my research.
Secondly, without giving away too much to the competition, Moto lita, don't and never have manufactured an 'original' wheel.
They were not as commonly misconstrued, the original supplier to FAV.
They have no drawings for the 'original' steeringwheel.
Look closely at my original wheel. Many subtle differences, let alone the diameter size....

{snip}

I have the original FAV drawings for the steering wheel , the accepted contractor's drawings and the 'sign off ' papers from FAV.
I'm in no way re inventing the wheel, just reproducing the original.

Now, you see? I'm glad I asked! I have always heard/been told that Moto Lita was the OEM supplier (they were for AC and Shelby cars), and they used to list a GT40 wheel in their catalog which looked so much like the originals, and I never took the time to question the validity of that claim.

So, who WAS the original supplier, do you (or does anybody) know?

How does your wheel compare with the Gelscoe offering? Do you have pricing/availability info for the wheel, and the center?

Fascinating thread, we're learning a lot here! :thumbsup:

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Mike,
I might be a fish ( pisces) but i'm not ready to jump on your hook :laugh:
What i will say is this :
The wheel will be 100% exact as also the emblem. No differences, other than materials. IE aluminium will be a better grade. Plastic/Resin for the badge, modern materials.
I have no prices as yet, as the prototype is still being made.
As to the original supplier to FAV, firstly, the company is no longer and secondly, it wouldn't be prudent for me to divulge that information.
It won't be cheap as small scale reproductions never are.
I'm sure you appreciate that.
What i can tell you is this.
The wheel i have, when i first held it in my hands, i could feel the indentations on the rim at 10 o'clock & 2 o'clock positions. To know this wheel had raced at Le Mans, Daytona , Monza etc, sent a chill through me.

Back