Halibrand KO Removal

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Before I get thoroughly frustrated and beat my Hailbrands into submission (and I coming out the worst for wear) I thought I best consult my friends here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Question:
1) Which direction do the knock offs turn?
2) Is it possible to have the adapter plates mounted on the wrong side of the car by the original installer?

Being my first attempt at removing the Halibrands off this car I question my efforts, for the knock offs have not budged in either direction using some relatively heavy persuasion, i.e. dead weight hammer, rubber mallet and even a short breaker bar (yikes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

Hello Tim
Normally the knock offs are tigtend the same direction the wheel turns in forward direction so the wheels arent spinning the nut of.
On my kva I just saw that it is possible to mount the adaptor plates on the wrong side.
I saw in goodwood that they where using a cobber hammer to loosen and tighten the knockoff.But i must say that i have not tryid that on my own car.
best regards
michael Linder

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Michael,

That's exactly the theory I was assuming regarding the tighting and\or loosening. Just that they are so tight I was beginning to have doubt.

Everyone, any suggestions at loosening very tight knock offs would be appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Malcolm

Supporter
My expectation would be that from sitting in the car, those wheels to the right of you should be reverse threads whilst those to the left of you normal threads. However as adapters can be put on the wrong side, this comes with no warranty!!!!

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Bill,

I did save the knock off tool thread in my favorites, knowing at some point I would want to make one. That time has come and I still have not made one. Sure wish I had /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If any one cares to see, click here for K.O Tool

Malcolm,

Can be confusing.
Left side tire rotates counter-clockwise wilst moving forward, therefore Knock-off should tigten in the same direction. Visa-versa for the right side, no?

Top of the knock off goes to the back of the vehicle to tighten, front to loosen. I have been using my tool regularly and love it.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Boy do I feel really stupid right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

By all indications and responses above, except Linder's, the answer to my question flies in the face of logic (my logic anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif). Would someone help me here?

If forward rotation of a wheel theoretically tightens the knock-off spinner then right side spinner would tighten clockwise and left side spinner would tighten counter-clockwise. How then would, as Gary Gibbs put it, top of the spinner to the rear of the car tighten when that is the opposite of the normal rotation of the wheel?

Tim

The right side spinners tighten counter clockwise. Left hand threads.

The left side spinners tighten clockwise. Right hand threads (like a normal nut and bolt).
Normal forward rotation of the wheel tends to tighten the spinners on either side of the car.

To make it easier to visualize, jack the front end up so you can spin the tires freely by hand. Start the spinner on the hub. After its started on the threads, hold it stationary with your hand and spin the wheel in its normal forward rotation. The spinner nut should screw itself onto the hub. If it instead screws itself back off, you have the wrong hand threads on that side of the car.

Hope this helps.
Dave

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks to all, I shalln't forget this lesson /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dave, you can't make it any more clear than that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Reminds me of the old saying:
"Best not to speak and let them wonder of your intelligence than to open you mouth and remove all doubt."

But at this point all I care to do if get these damn spinners off.

Tim

Back