Has any1 welded the diff in a STD un1 before?

I'm thinking of doing it to a spare box and doin a couple of 1/4m runs.
At the moment on my STD box with 400/400 bhp/trq I spin the 1 wheel in 3rd on 235 road tyres. Usually drivers side.
Would welding the diff and running the same tyres break the input shaft?
Would there b any reason I can't weld the diff?

I want to do a 1/4 in the car but don't see the point if I just sit there spinning 1 wheel, plus it looks gay.

This is until I can afford a proper 1 piece shaft and atb for it.

Any opinions/views?

I have welded several diffs in ford type rears diffs without any problems, But this is for short circuit racing . Make sure you use the correct rods if you are doing it with stick (arc) I use dissimilar rods but only because I weld the planet gears to the cast housing so not really that applicable for the UN gearbox ( transaxle) this will obviously make the steering difficult. Not really an issue in the formula I race as the car is usually drifting and can be steered with the rear. I have tried both the ATB and the clutch type LSD and prefer the Clutch type ( Tran-X or Salisbury) as the ATB seems to be like a switch ( on or off) and can be very twitchy on corners.
Although I guess you should only be going straight , ATB would be my recomendation !
Hope this helps

Malcolm

Supporter
I would expect a CV joint to burst before you broke a drive shaft. The input/primary shaft spline is also a weak link and is an option to fail early as well. I hope it is the CV joint that goes (if anything is to go!) as the input primary shaft repair is pricey!

Back