Header removal

Hi I'm new to the forum. I just purchased Superformance P2174. It has black headers which I would like to have ceramic coated giving a stainless look.

My question is there a trick to removing them and re installing after they are coated?

Big Thanks for the help!

Regards,
Brad

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Mark them before you take them off, when you put them back on, make sure that you use some Permatex or Loctite high temp sealer between the gasket and the header pipes and the gasket and the head.

Make sure to tighten the primaries to the head before you install the collectors.

Marking is a good idea. However, if you happen to forget to do so it's pretty obvious what pipe goes where - left v. right is pretty clearly apparent and then the length of each to the collector determines order/sequence from front to rear.

I've used Permatex Form-A-Gasket to good effect. I use it only on the header side of the gasket and not on the head side as doing so seems to seal well without leaving a bunch of goop and gasket stuck to the head (which is tough to clean) on the next removal. Be sure to re-torque after a few heat cycles.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
My advise is to not tighten your header to head bolts down until you have gathered the pipes into their respective collectors.

Also - Make sure that the Coater knows that the ends of the pipes must fit inside the collectors. They can vary the thickness of the coating in that area if need be - or you can polish it down just a tad with #600 sand-paper..

You can use a little Permatex Red (High Temp) RTV on the insides of the collectors to make the collector slide on a little easier and seal up better..

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
After the primaries are in the collector you expect the primary flanges to pull tight and flush with the head? This only works if the system is perfect - something I have rarely seen.

I much prefer bending the primaries into the collector.

edit - some of the header bolts are really hard to get a wrench on, making tightening them a real chore if they are not flush.

Back