Healthcare

All,

I got home last night, and CNBC did the following. Its an hour long and pretty good.

Biggest health issue (one of my liberal friends who can't get insured fits the Supersized dimension) is 1/3 of the American public is obese. Solve this and the nation will be better off.

So if the U.S. has socialized medicine, does that mean people will be forced to eat what they don't want to ease the burden on the health system?

Meeting of the Minds: The Future of Heath Care, Business Leaders, Economic and Financial Issues, Discussion, Global Economy, Government, Health Care System, Crisis - CNBC.com

A lot of this controversy could be eliminated if the purpose and content of this bill were clear to the American People.
The individuals who came up with this massive obfuscation are obviously much brighter than the postal workers who will actually be running the ginormus beaurocracy that will be created.
If the people on this forum are having trouble understanding it and our legislators can't understand it then where are they going to find people smart enought to administer the thing?
We will all need an attorney on retainer to interpret it our way and beat up the Government attorneys, do we really want to invest in a system that is guaranteed to be unworkable?
The best Government organization we have is the military but it's might and excellence is consistently misdirected and restrained and it's effects diluted.
It is obvious from the structure of this Bill that it's preparers do not understand what we have now and have no idea where we need to go.
This will create a lot of new Federal jobs and a lot more of our Doctors will be moving to India or working at Wal Mart.
They need to go back to the wood shed and simplify this thing, if we are going to Nationalize Medical care then it needs to clearly stated in the Bill, everybody should be covered.
Individuals should be more responsible for their own health, you want to weigh 400 lbs? Fine, then right the check for your diabetes meds? No helmet on a motorcycle? No problem just fill out an organ donor card and forget about emergency room care.
You like to breath smoke? Pay for your end of life nightmare yourself.
We used to have excellent healthcare in this country, health care used to cost what people could pay, now after 40 years of insurance, massive suits against anyone in the health care business and government meddling even the simplest procedures have a rediculous price tag and medical problems are a huge source of personal bankruptcy in the US.
This Bill is another example of Liberal thinking, as a group they are much smarter than the rest of us and truly know what is best for us ignorant savages!
They are only trying save us from ourselves.
IMHO
Dave

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Individuals should be more responsible for their own health, you want to weigh 400 lbs? Fine, then right the check for your diabetes meds? No helmet on a motorcycle? No problem just fill out an organ donor card and forget about emergency room care. You like to breath smoke? Pay for your end of life nightmare yourself.

David,

You've just highlighted some great ideas that I think would help improve our system here in Canada. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing hundreds of thousands of dollars spent trying to glue back some idiot's head after he crashed his bike with no helmet on (same goes for people not wearing seat belts and other required-by-law self-protection systems).

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Who here doesn't think we ("we" as in those that go to the doctor once a year for their annual, and that's it) don't subsidize those folks that are in need of much greater and more expensive care. We have a partially socialized health care system already. VA, Medicare (derived from the Canadian design) and Medicaid account for this substantial portion already. The more I hear both sides of this debate, the more inclined I am to accept some form of social health care based on other systems that seem to serve their populations well. To me, many of those plans seem more appealing (especially as an option rather than mandatory) over doing nothing at all and let more and more folks be denied substantive health care just so that some group of folks in the insurance industry (the middle men in all of this, not the provider) can fly to Bora Bora every year for a team-building session. Remember, BC&BS originally started as non-profit (as was all health care at one time). I've not checked it out, but I've seen data indicating Medicare has done more to curtail costs than has private industry. There's a lot of misinformation going around on both sides, but it seems to be more from the "fear" side of the isle than the "fix-it" side.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Doctors weigh in on the new Obama health care proposal

The Allergists voted to scratch it, but the Dermatologists advised not to make any rash moves.

The Gastroenterologists had sort of a gut feeling about it, but the Neurologists thought the Administration had a lot of nerve.

The Obstetricians felt they were all laboring under a misconception. Ophthalmologists considered the idea shortsighted.

Pathologists yelled, "Over my dead body!" while the Pediatricians said, "Oh, Grow up!"

The Psychiatrists thought the whole idea was madness, while the Radiologists could see right through it.

Surgeons decided to wash their hands of the whole thing. The Internists thought it was a bitter pill to swallow, and the Plastic Surgeons said, "This puts a whole new face on the matter...."

The Podiatrists thought it was a step forward, but the Urologists were pissed off at the whole idea.

The Anesthesiologists thought the whole idea was a gas, and the Cardiologists didn't have the heart to say no.

In the end, the Proctologists won out, leaving the entire decision up to the assholes in Washington.

Congressman Mike Rogers' opening statement on Health Care reform in
Washington D.C.

He really makes a home run with his address to his fellow Congressman.

Ok, this is worth every MINUTE (ONLY 4) to watch this!

THIS HITS IT OUT OF THE BALL PARK!

A HOME RUN!

THIS IS IMPERATIVE EVERYONE SEE THIS!! IT WAS TAKEN OFF THE VIDEO TAPES OF
THE FLOOR OF OUR NATIONAL LEGISLATURE…

PLEASE GET THIS OUT TO EVERYONE!

CLICK HERE (or copy and paste in web browser if this doesn’t work)
YouTube - Congressman Mike Rogers' opening statement on Health Care reform in Washington D.C.

Hi Al,

Got a copy of this from a friend in California who has nothing to do with GT40S.com. Looks like the message is getting out !!!

Not good enough. Please state the paragraph and statement on page 16 you have a problem with.

And on to another topic, since you have admitted getting some of your information from Rush Limbaugh, how do you know he's not under the influence of drugs which would impede clear thinking. He did have a little problem at one time didn't he ? Something about Oxycontin from what I remember... Does that ring a bell with you?

IMSA
Well at least he was smart enough to know how to take the dran drug! Bill Clinton smoked pot but wasnt smart enough to know he was supposed to inhale!. I bet you believed him when he said that to LOL.

Jim

It boils down to this. If you’re a US citizen, you should have affordable health care available to you. No cherry picking by the insurance companies, no reasonable claim denied, no one declined due to pre-existing conditions. Even if you’re insured, there’s a good chance you're only one medical crisis away from bankruptcy. It happens everyday to regular middle class citizens that pay their taxes and do the right things.

Right now the health care industry in this country is a for profit industry that answers to Wall Street and investors with approximately 30% of every premium dollar going to overhead. That does not sound very efficient to me compared to Medicaid overhead . If I had to choose between a bureaucrat that answers to Washington that stands between me and my doctor, or a insurance bureaucrat that answers to shareholders and Wall Street that stands between me and my doctor, I’ll take my chances with the government.

IMSA
So do you think that auto insurance should be the same also? Cant deny insurance to anyone, must be at a resonable cost. No denying claims? So an inexperienced driver or someone with a DUI conviction should be insured cheaply. You can offset his cost to the insureance co by making others (responsable drivers)pay more. You cant deny his claim on an accident even if he is irresponsable and drives under the influence?

Jim

So do you think that auto insurance should be the same also? Cant deny insurance to anyone, must be at a resonable cost. No denying claims? So an inexperienced driver or someone with a DUI conviction should be insured cheaply. You can offset his cost to the insureance co by making others (responsable drivers)pay more. You cant deny his claim on an accident even if he is irresponsable and drives under the influence?

Jim

Seriously ?

Life is a right (and it can be taken away if you misuse that right).

Driving is a privilege.

Ian

Congressman Mike Rogers' opening statement on Health Care reform in
Washington D.C.

He really makes a home run with his address to his fellow Congressman.

Ok, this is worth every MINUTE (ONLY 4) to watch this!

THIS HITS IT OUT OF THE BALL PARK!

A HOME RUN!

THIS IS IMPERATIVE EVERYONE SEE THIS!! IT WAS TAKEN OFF THE VIDEO TAPES OF
THE FLOOR OF OUR NATIONAL LEGISLATURE…

PLEASE GET THIS OUT TO EVERYONE!

CLICK HERE (or copy and paste in web browser if this doesn’t work)
YouTube - Congressman Mike Rogers' opening statement on Health Care reform in Washington D.C.

Well that a was waste of 3 minutes and 49 seconds of my life I'll never get back again.

Let me ask this, if our current medical system is as great as many here would like to lead us believe, then why aren't any of the modern industrial countries that have a socialized medical system rushing to scrap their system and adopt our ‘for profit’ medical system?

And to the members of the board from Canada and Great Britain adding opinions; I’m curious to know how many people you know that can’t get medical coverage? Do you have to tell your doctor you can’t get some recommended procedures done, additional treatments done, or have to decline some prescription drugs because you just can’t afford the cost? How many people do you know who can't get health insurance and have had to declare bankruptcy due to medical bills? How many people do you know with medical insurance that have had to declare bankruptcy because their insurance didn’t cover the procedures needed? How many people do you know that have died waiting for their insurance company to approve a procedure? How many people do you know that have died because they either couldn't afford medical care or couldn't afford prescribed prescription drugs?

How long are the lines for people waiting for medical treatment at clinics? At hospitals? When you go in for treatment, are you first asked “who’s your insurance company?”

I have to ask because I’m getting conflicting information. Are you for the most part happy with the medical treatment being offered in your respective countries? Some members posting here seem to think the socialized medical systems in Canadian and Great Britain are inferior in many ways to what’s offered in the U.S. What are your honest opinions?

Just curious,

By the way, for the shallow minded that will reply "anyone can walk into the emergency ward of a hospital for treatment and not get turned down", you know they do give you a bill for treatment done and they go after you if you don't or can't pay your bill.

IMSA

Back